Guidelines about what threads are appropriate on the Individual Politics Board (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Guidelines about what threads are appropriate on the Individual Politics Board (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guidelines about what threads are appropriate on the Individual Politics Board  (Read 43264 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: November 29, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2015, 08:37:45 AM by Torie »

To All:

First, all threads on this Board should be about politics, and not your preferences, opinions or questions about non-political issues, including geographic preferences, such as polls or discussions as which city, or nation, or National Park, or whatever you would prefer. Those threads belong in the Off Topic Board.

Probably "opinion of" threads about a race, or for that matter any ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or even of a class, are a bad idea. You see, except for perhaps rich white people, we start to get on very thin ground, particularly if someone has a negative opinion. We had/have a bit of a contretemps about a poster who arguably has a negative opinion of poor people. Report, after report, after report. Do you see where I am going with this?

So I respectfully request that such threads not be put up. If someone feels a compelling need, in a given context to do one that gets close to the line on this, I suggest you PM me first.

Outside of personal attacks, I normally am pretty much a laissez faire type Mod, and often let stuff go by, unless it is reported, and then I need to be fair to both the reporter and the reportee, and hew to policy. But on this one, I just see trouble down the road with this genre of "opinion of" threads, and I want to try to nip it in the bud, before someone gets hurt, and many get offended, and more feuds are fueled.

Thanks for listening.

Your most controversial Mod,

Torie
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

I deleted two posts. I take no real exception to their being made in the first instance, but they are inappropriate to remain for a long half life. Folks can make comments for feedback purposes and/or discussion or reaction or whatever, but if the post does not help elucidate or clarify the policy, or explain it, such posts will not remain as a permanent fixture on this "stickied" thread. That is the way I am balancing the competing considerations on this one.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »

I think what I said was quite clear, opebo. Take it elsewhere than this thread please.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

Could a thread on this work:

What do you think would be the hardest on you, and which do you think would be the easiest on you? Being a different sexuality than you are now, being a different race than you are now, or being a different gender than you are now?

(Basically a different way to get people to reflect on what's currently worse in American society... racism, sexism, or homophobia)

I see nothing beyond the pale as to that kind of thread.  It is not asking about the merits of a group as to which having a negative opinion would raise issues, but rather a personal question about how one might navigate having been dealt a different deck of cards than one was in fact dealt.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »

I get the rationale to move the geographic opinion threads off of IP, but there are a couple of factors that I think should be considered. One, my observation is that most of the geographic polls/competitions are decided based on the poster's view of the politics of the location. Two, the polls have the potential to crowd out the substantive threads in Off Topic: sports, science, etc. Ideally there is a child board for the personal opinion polls, but we'll see where Dave goes.

Fun stuff being a mod. Sad Actually I never vote for a location based on its politics. I typically prefer places with politics at variance with mine. But hey, if the geography post is a poll or question specifically about a location based on its politics, I will leave it here. How about that Solomonic compromise? Smiley Or alternatively, since it's about geography, how about moving them all to your board Muon2?  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies