1840 Party Conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1840 Party Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Shiat just got real.
Union Convention: General Winfield Scott of New Jersey

Union Convention: Vice President Thomas Morris of Ohio

Union Convention: Senator James G. Birney of New York

Union Convention: Secretary of State Martin Van Buren of New York

National Convention: Former President Henry Clay of Kentucky

National Convention: General and Former Secretary of War William Henry Harrison of Ohio

National Convention: Senator James Buchanan of Pennsylvania

Republican Convention: Senator Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire

Republican Convention: Senator Lewis Cass of Michigan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: 1840 Party Conventions  (Read 1193 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »

The War of Secession

Adams' election by the House with the support of only northern states had pushed sectional tensions to their tipping point. While Adams had already made his name as enemy of the South enough in his "third" term, his post-presidency had alienated Southern Republicans even more. Becoming an outspoken opponent of slavery upon leaving office, even defending slaves in court, the South was more than a little uneasy with him assuming power a third time. The fact that Adams had been elected by the House without winning a majority of the electoral or popular vote was the last straw for the South. Even as the lower chamber was deadlocked after the first round of voting, the country was dividing. While President Henry Clay would make sure to mobilize federal troops against attempts at secession, Southern governors made sure to keep as many state troops, as well as state militias in line. When the election of Adams was officially announced, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, and Arkansas all passed bills of secession.

On March 4th, 1837, power officially changed hands from Clay back to Adams. While the election had divided them, secession had united them. While Clay had attempted to compromise with the loose Confederation of American States to bring them back into the folds, he was prepared to use force, and both Adams and Clay intended to reuinte the country. Nevertheless, it would be Adams who was prepared to use the strong arm of the federal government to take them back. Soon, however, Georgia, Louisiana, and even Tennessee broke ties with the union in solidarity with their regional brethren. The next four years would the hardest in the short nation's history. Nevertheless, it was thanks to Adams' tireless resolve, even against domestic political enemies that sought either compromise or to allow the nation to sink into dissolution, that would see him through.

By now, the war is nearly won, having made heroes of such famed generals as Winfield Scott and William Henry Harrison. The famed General Zachary Taylor who led CAS forces, was hung in February, 1840, before a makeshift military tribunal in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Now, the federal government is busy chasing bands of Southern militias throughout the Louisiana bayous and Appalachian Mountains.

The 1840 Election

Nevertheless, with the last leg of the war to be fought, Adams is passing the reigns. "One man cannot lead this nation forever." In his stead are multiple candidates for the presidency. The "Union Republicans" organized into a broad-based northern coalition called the Union Party, building on the support that initially led them to near-victory. General Winfield Scott is the leading candidate for president. While the party has little in the way of a full platform, having been created from multiple interests, it is clear it will stand against the expansion of slavery, and several of its most famous voices favor abolition altogether. The party stands behind completion of the war and slow re-admittance of the states. Martin Van Buren stands at the more liberal wing, advocating lowered tariffs and the like, opposition to the expansion of slavery, and a greater focus on emancipation rather than punishment, having undergone a transformation of sorts on slavery during the war years. Meanwhile, James G. Birney stands as the most hard-line abolitionist in the party. The freshman New York Senator advocates complete reconstruction, commenting that federal troops may need to be in the South "for decades to come". Finally, Thomas Morris is running as the "natural heir" to Adams.

The Nationals and Republicans lie largely broken, politically. While President Clay and General Harrison remain respected by the nation at-large, and Harrison popular for his work during the war, the coalition that led the Nationals to such power in previous years is broken. The Union Party controls vast swathes of the North, the South is politically castrated, and the Republicans, while feeble and dying, nevertheless are holding their own as a spoiler. James Buchanan is the only representative of the "dove" faction left in the party running. Harrison favors completion of the war while Clay is focused on an easy re-admittance of the Southern states under the national flag and a national policy. The once-proud party of Jefferson lies broken and dying. Bereft of victory for so long, their northern section gone to the Union and their Southern faction being tried as traitors, they have very few options left. They have only two main candidates: the hawkish Lewis Cass who stands with the Union on war issues and is committed to expansionism. The other is Franklin Pierce. A "doughface" who sympathizes with the South, it is widely believed by outsiders that his nomination would be the last straw for the already weak party. Under his leadership, it is likely that the war would be abandoned altogether and slavery strengthened.

Three days. Vote.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2013, 02:12:02 PM by Supersonic »

I went with Winfield Scott. Not enthused with any of the other choices.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »

I must inquire as to what type of candidate would entuse you.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »

I must inquire as to what type of candidate would entuse you.

Oops that previous comment was too italicised. Anyhow, I don't even know. I just shrugged at all the names.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »

I'm having a hard time deciding between Scott, Morris, and Van Buren...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

I'm having a hard time deciding between Scott, Morris, and Van Buren...

Vote for Scott, America's greatest hero!

Birney for VP!
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »

Going with van Buren.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »

Henry Clay. Let bygones be bygones.

Btw you tell an excellent yarn Smiley
OAM

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Way to break the country guys Tongue
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

Ew, no! Have you seen his description?

"...advocating lowered tariffs and the like, opposition to the expansion of slavery, and a greater focus on emancipation rather than punishment..."

I'd support Birney, but I realize that's not going to happen.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

Also, has Adams pushed for abolition of slavery as President?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:27:52 PM »

Van Buren!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »

The issue has largely been the war itself, which has been very taxing on the aging president. Rumor has it that the more radical members of the Union Party, upon official victory, will use the occasion to push for the nationwide abolition of slavery. As of now, property has been confiscated from a number of wealthy slave owners in revolting states, leaving the slaves freed. As such, a makeshift "Freedmen's Bureau" has been set up. Nevertheless, for the time being, slavery in the border states seems safe, and there are several Nationals and Republicans that would like to keep it that way.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »

The issue has largely been the war itself, which has been very taxing on the aging president. Rumor has it that the more radical members of the Union Party, upon official victory, will use the occasion to push for the nationwide abolition of slavery. As of now, property has been confiscated from a number of wealthy slave owners in revolting states, leaving the slaves freed. As such, a makeshift "Freedmen's Bureau" has been set up. Nevertheless, for the time being, slavery in the border states seems safe, and there are several Nationals and Republicans that would like to keep it that way.

So basically RL. Got it.

Also damn, guys, Adams is 73! He was 45 in 1812, making him both (I believe) the oldest and the youngest president so far in this thing at the same time, interestingly enough.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

Van Buren.  Scott or Birney would be fine too. 
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »

Van Buren's the man.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

Ew, no! Have you seen his description?

"...advocating lowered tariffs and the like, opposition to the expansion of slavery, and a greater focus on emancipation rather than punishment..."

I'd support Birney, but I realize that's not going to happen.
Ah, didn't realize he wasn't actually pushing for abolition.  My knowledge of pre-1860 US history is pretty elementary.  Birney, I guess, if Cathcon's willing to change my vote when he's counting them up
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »

Why is Buchanan a member of the National party?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »

Clay
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 03:05:07 AM »

Scott, but if Van Buren wins, I'm switching to Clay.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »

Why is Buchanan a member of the National party?

In real life, Buchanan was a former Federalist. In this, those that would have been Federalist folded into the National party. Since I don't want the parties to be complete real life analogues, I decided to get a bit creative. As well, Buchanan, being from an industrial state, did oppose Polk's Walker Tariff Act, though as Secretary of State was in of course no position to stop it. He nonetheless remains the same "doughface" he was in real life.
OAM

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »

I'm thinking this will be a popular stance.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

I'd probably do it, though I'd have to see how Clay would handle Reconstruction.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »

I'd probably do it, though I'd have to see how Clay would handle Reconstruction.

I'd advise that such a thing be considered.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »

Birney/Harrison unity ticket!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length