OH-Quinnipiac: Hillary tops all Republicans, but the Christie-race is close
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:58:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  OH-Quinnipiac: Hillary tops all Republicans, but the Christie-race is close
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH-Quinnipiac: Hillary tops all Republicans, but the Christie-race is close  (Read 1861 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:32:44 AM »

First, this bit of news:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This number is similar to the Mercyhurst poll recently.

2016 General Election:

In an early look at the 2016 run for the White House, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gets 42 percent to 41 percent for New Jersey Republican Gov. Christopher Christie in Ohio. Secretary Clinton tops Gov. John Kasich 49 - 38 percent and leads other Republicans:

50 - 37 percent over former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush;
    48 - 39 percent over U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida;
    50 - 40 percent over U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky;
    49 - 41 percent over U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.
    50 - 35 percent over U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas.

Clinton would make a good president, Ohio voters say 54 - 40 percent, the best score of any contender measured here, followed by Christie 44 - 32 percent. No other candidate gets a positive score, with Kasich at a negative 32 - 49 percent.

"Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie are the 2016 leaders to Ohio voters, locked in a statistical tie," Brown said. "Ms. Clinton easily defeats a bevy of other potential GOP aspirants. Interestingly, when voters are asked whether she would make a good president, more say yes, than say they would vote for her. Conversely, Vice President Joseph Biden is not presidential material in the eyes of Ohioans. Only 28 percent think he would be a good president.

"Votes are split 44 - 45 percent on whether Washington experience or experience outside the Beltway would help someone be a good president. Democrats, women and black voters say Washington experience is better, while Republicans, independents, men and white voters see it the other way."

From November 19 - 24, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,361 registered voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/ohio/release-detail?ReleaseID=1985
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »

Surprisingly good numbers for Hillary against the GOP, considering Obama has crashed and burned in the state approval-wise (especially among Whites).

OH should be an above-average state for her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »

This isn't a congressional thread but Portman is safe. Christie may very well confine her to defending the 272 wall with Co, NV and NH, as well as PA.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »

Christie vs. Clinton by age:
18-29: Clinton +2
30-49: Clinton +7
50-64: tie
65+: Christie +8

And for Paul vs. Clinton, youngs are Paul's best age group:
18-29: Clinton +1
30-49: Clinton +11
50-64: Clinton +20
65+: Clinton +3
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:49:33 AM »

This is why I don't believe this poll.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »

The Pauls always poll well among the young ...
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »

The Pauls always poll well among the young ...

Not in that new Pennsylvania poll they didn't.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »

One interesting note here is that Hillary does better among those without a college education in every matchup. I'm used to seeing the partisan breakdown there flipped.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

One interesting note here is that Hillary does better among those without a college education in every matchup. I'm used to seeing the partisan breakdown there flipped.

It's not unusual.  Republicans have more $, and $ correlates with education.  In the 2012 national exit poll, Obama did slightly better among those without a college degree than those with one.  He led by 4 among those without a college degree, but only by 2 among those with a college degree.

And of course, if you go way back in time to the Clinton era, it was more pronounced (and closer to what we're seeing in the 2016 polls).  In 1996, Clinton beat Dole by 14 points among non-college graduates, but only beat him by 3 points among college graduates.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

Must win state for the GOP, but not for Hillary.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »

Must win state for the GOP, but not for Hillary.

If the urban/rural split widens, the Democrats may actually need it. Ohio is largely urban.

I do think the Democrats will win it anyway.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »

It's not unusual.  Republicans have more $, and $ correlates with education.  In the 2012 national exit poll, Obama did slightly better among those without a college degree than those with one.  He led by 4 among those without a college degree, but only by 2 among those with a college degree.

And of course, if you go way back in time to the Clinton era, it was more pronounced (and closer to what we're seeing in the 2016 polls).  In 1996, Clinton beat Dole by 14 points among non-college graduates, but only beat him by 3 points among college graduates.

There's a huge difference between having a degreed profession in which one is paid by the government (directly as an employee or indirectly as a contractor) and being strictly in the private sector. A physician who depends heavily upon Medicaid or Medicare, a merchant whose clientele relies heavily upon SNAP, or a chemist in the employ of a water district thinks differently about Big Government than someone with a similar job or business whose involvement with the government is with taxing or regulatory bodies.

In 2008 the connection between income and the vote was never so weak between the two Presidential nominees as it had ever been.   
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »

I wonder if Ohio is trending Democrat, opposite of Pennsylvania.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »

The main reasons Pennsylvania trended Republican in 2012 are the voter suppression laws and the voting machines that flipped votes to Romney. Someone had a video up on YouTube that showed the machines flipping their votes.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

The main reasons Pennsylvania trended Republican in 2012 are the voter suppression laws and the voting machines that flipped votes to Romney. Someone had a video up on YouTube that showed the machines flipping their votes.
Will PA still have those laws in place by 2016?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »

They probably will be on the books still, but if the next governor and attorney general are Democrats, they might not be enforced.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:08 PM »

They probably will be on the books still, but if the next governor and attorney general are Democrats, they might not be enforced.

PA already has a Democratic AG and it's pretty likely they will have a Democratic Governor next year as well. The only way I see to repeal these laws is through the legislature and that requires flipping both chambers which is unlikely. Don't know how they can just not enforce these laws I think what's more likely is whoever is Gov will try to work with Republicans to try and loosen the restrictions.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

That might've been a small part of it, but actually the main reason is that Romney dumped tons of cash in the state for a last minute gambit. Obama didn't respond in kind because he knew his lead there was comfortable enough to focus on the tipping point states.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

How is Hillary in the lead here and not in Iowa?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »

Could Iowa be drifting Right?

Ethanol subsidies that Democrats sponsored enriched Iowa farmers. Those are now expired or irrelevant. The big breaks now go to natural gas.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »

Good point. I wonder, Unlike PA, if Ohio is trending to the Democrats.
JRP1994

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »

I think the PA trend can probably be attributed to Christie's relative strength in the Philly suburbs, due to them being covered in the New Jersey media market.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »

I think the PA trend can probably be attributed to Christie's relative strength in the Philly suburbs, due to them being covered in the New Jersey media market.

That's correct. I saw tons of Christie's ads, which obviously had little to no rebuttal due to Buono's non-campaign.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:26 AM »

Iowa hasn't exactly been fond of the Clintons. She finished third here in the 2008 caucuses compared to Ohio which rejuvenated her campaign in 2008. Maybe she just does better with blue-collar workers as opposed to farmers and agriculture? Not really for sure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies