So I'm finally about to watch Girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:20:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So I'm finally about to watch Girls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: So I'm finally about to watch Girls  (Read 1169 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »

I've seen Tiny Furniture before but not this, mostly due to the fact watching TV shows through Netflix that aren't streaming is annoying and any streaming show kind of pushed it aside. But Season 1 Disc 1 is home now. So does it start off good or does it take awhile to get started? I already know what type of show it is but I know some shows can be frustrating because they take so long to get into.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

That Pilot was pretty good and made me want to watch more. My only complaint is the characters are so unrealistic even by TV standards it's distracting and in that vein the dialogue often reaches Diablo Cody levels of absurdity and thinking "No one talks that way!" But hey it worked.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Why are you about to watch/watching Girls, BRTD?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

Because it's a show that's essentially custom made for people like me basically. And Lena Dunham is funny, Simfan's protests to the contrary.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »

I was interested in the show as a concept, but I found that the sex scenes turned me off and nothing else was sufficiently compelling to outweigh that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2013, 07:10:43 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Because it's a show that's essentially custom made for people like me basically.

Fair enough. The issue is that as far as I can tell almost all of the characters are people like you in some way or another. I imagine that might get a little boring eventually. I wouldn't appreciate Anne of Green Gables nearly as much if every character thought and acted along similar lines to Marilla, or Genji monogatari if Utsusemi and Lady Rokujo took over the whole plot.

(Actually, that's a lie; I'd LOVE Genji monogatari if Utsusemi and Lady Rokujo took over the whole plot, but that has more to do with the other characters than it does with them.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I consider that Lena Dunham is neither as unfunny and awful as Simfan thinks nor all that much funnier than the average person.

I was interested in the show as a concept, but I found that the sex scenes turned me off and nothing else was sufficiently compelling to outweigh that.

Watching sex scenes in general is basically an endurance test for me and this show--the first season, at least, which is the only one I've seen--has some pretty difficult ones, yeah.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »

Because it's a show that's essentially custom made for people like me basically.

Fair enough. The issue is that as far as I can tell almost all of the characters are people like you in some way or another. I imagine that might get a little boring eventually. I wouldn't appreciate Anne of Green Gables nearly as much if every character thought and acted along similar lines to Marilla, or Genji monogatari if Utsusemi and Lady Rokujo took over the whole plot.

(Actually, that's a lie; I'd LOVE Genji monogatari if Utsusemi and Lady Rokujo took over the whole plot, but that has more to do with the other characters than it does with them.)

I now understand the incomprehensibility other posters feel when I post in depth stuff about Ingress.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »

I consider that Lena Dunham is neither as unfunny and awful as Simfan thinks

Is that his opinion? Then consider me absolutely and entirely converted: he should be allowed to post again.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »

Is that his opinion? Then consider me absolutely and entirely converted: he should be allowed to post again.
atlas is enough of a liberal echo chamber as it is
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »

Quite so.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »

if it was enforceable i'd say we should ban anyone that actually watches that show. you know, for diversity's sake
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »

I've thought about watching, but if the characters have the Diablo Cody quip disease, I really couldn't watch it.  Plus, living in Brooklyn, I see enough annoying spoiled white hipsters already.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »

He used her as a representative of everything that's wrong with contemporary America, more or less. (Mind that I disagree with him only in terms of extent; she's really not that funny and she's vaguely gross on a whole host of levels, but treating her as an avatar of cultural downfall is, I think, giving her too much credit.)

I've thought about watching, but if the characters have the Diablo Cody quip disease, I really couldn't watch it.  Plus, living in Brooklyn, I see enough annoying spoiled white hipsters already.

I live in the Pioneer Valley. Similar problem, different framing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »

Free Simfan!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »

I usually have short attention spans for watching shows but I did plow through the three seasons in less than a week ca. February.  mostly because a) I am in the target demographic and susceptible to that and b) I like looking at Allison Williams.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »

Yeah found that to be the case with the second episode's opening. Small part of it though and I can overlook stuff like that.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:04 AM »

I have always loved the show, because my interpretation is that Lena Dunham is simultaneously slaying the common critique of Millennials and slaying Millennials themselves. Other people seem to hate it because they see it as a wholesale confirmation of the Millennial critique.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »

I hate it because I'm a Millennial and hate myself for it.

Joking. Sort of.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »

Lena Dunham is a female equivalent of Bushie in NYC (working class/middle class tragedy). So not very funny, but still fascinating to watch.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 02:56:15 AM »

Lena Dunham is a female equivalent of Bushie in NYC (working class/middle class tragedy). So not very funny, but still fascinating to watch.

I'm assuming by Lena Dunham you mean her character because Lena Dunham the actual person is certainly not 'working-' or 'middle-class'.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »

I usually have short attention spans for watching shows but I did plow through the three seasons in less than a week ca. February.  mostly because a) I am in the target demographic and susceptible to that and b) I like looking at Allison Williams.

You seen her Ke$ha cover? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al9FOtZcadQ
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2013, 05:03:31 PM by traininthedistance »

I've never watched Girls, and I don't really have any desire to.

However, I guess I count myself as a Lena Dunham defender, simply on the grounds that so much of the criticism of her is quite obviously horribly sexist and (sorry to use such a horribly tumbr-ish term but it's the only thing that really fits) body-shaming.  How dare someone who isn't an airbrushed supermodel film a nude scene!  (FWIW, if you think she's actually fat and ugly, you are an idiot, full stop.)  Enemy of my enemy is my friend, I guess.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »

I have always loved the show, because my interpretation is that Lena Dunham is simultaneously slaying the common critique of Millennials and slaying Millennials themselves. Other people seem to hate it because they see it as a wholesale confirmation of the Millennial critique.
if by 'millennials' you really mean 'upper middle class white/jewish people with liberal arts degrees' (i.e. stuff white people like). although in fairness that's basically what 90% of the media has already decided we all are facts be damned.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

if by 'millennials' you really mean 'upper middle class white/jewish people with liberal arts degrees' (i.e. stuff white people like). although in fairness that's basically what 90% of the media has already decided we all are facts be damned.

the media is going to cater to people with discretionary income.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

I'm assuming by Lena Dunham you mean her character because Lena Dunham the actual person is certainly not 'working-' or 'middle-class'.
Yes, the character. Obviously the actual person holds Californian ideology.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies