Texas Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:22:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas Megathread  (Read 54808 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: January 22, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »

Davis's inconsistencies are coming out for all to see: she's the Manti Teo of Texas politics
Yawn. Every politician spins their back-story to make it seem like they come from a hardscrabble background and worked their way up from nothing through hard work, determination, etc. The controversy over the "discrepancies" in Davis's background completely perplexes me. We're talking about some pretty minor details that don't change the overall picture of her life and career.   
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:37 AM »

^I assumed he meant the bio discrepancies there. Tmthforu is pretty much always a respectful poster so I doubt he was inferring something like not giving her ex-husband a shout out in every stump speech as a "mistake"
You are correct - I don't think it's something that people should hold against her when running for office, but I don't think it necessarily looks good when some of the "weaknesses" in her bio were conveniently left out to paint a better picture of her.

Something should be stated though about her supporters mocking Abbott for being wheelchair bound - I felt pretty disgusted watching that video. Her campaign needs to be flawless to win in November, and so far, it's anything but. "Stand with Wendy" as the campaign slogan was poorly thought out, also.

It should be noted the slogan "Stand With Wendy" is from June, and was the Twitter slogan (aka "hashtag") surrounding her filibuster. Her gubernatorial campaign has never embraced that slogan. If we're going to parse every moment of Wendy Davis' life let's not let ourselves generalize when it suits the narrative we prefer. Smiley

I really do want to know if you can specifically point to something to back up your "withheld the truth" claim. Highlighting certain periods in her life is one thing, but I don't believe that in any of this bio debacle that there has been something where she legitimately "withheld the truth."

THIS. She really was a young single mother. She really did graduate from Harvard Law. Where did she withhold the truth???
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »

This legitimately got me. I was excited until I checked the date.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/alright-alright-alright-dark-horse-statewide-office
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »

The good news is that Kesha Rogers will not be the Democratic nominee for Senate. The bad news is that David Alameel might be a vampire (according to Kesha Rogers).

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:24 AM »

For the second time in a row, there will be no statewide televised gubernatorial debate in Texas.

Greg Abbott is backing out of his prior agreement to appear in a debate with Wendy Davis at the end of September.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Outgoing state senator John Carona (R-Dallas) was critical of Abbott's decision:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is utterly despicable. He's not even going to justify this with some BS pretense like Perry did against White ("I'll only debate if you release all of your tax returns from forever"). He's just going to straight up refuse to debate. I challenge any Republican to defend that course of action.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »

Davis has no chance. Why should Abbott debate this woman?

Yeah, why should we even bother having an election!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies