Texas Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Author Topic: Texas Megathread  (Read 54863 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2014, 07:06:20 PM by badgate »

Obviously these stories all cover the same basic ground but here's the recent Davis personal story coverage. I've excluded stories that can't be viewed by non-digital subscribers.

But first, the Texas Observer on growing anti-frackism in North Texas.
Texas Observer - North Texans to Railroad Commission: "Stop the Frackquakes"
http://www.texasobserver.org/north-texans-railroad-commission-stop-frackquakes/

DMN, via AP - Davis Dismisses Issue of Discrepancies in Personal Story as Campaign Attack
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140120-davis-dismisses-issue-of-discrepancies-in-personal-story-as-campaign-attack.ece
POLITICO - Wendy Davis hits back at questions about her bio
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/wendy-davis-texas-governor-race-2014-102402.html?hp=f1
NYTimes - Accused of Blurring Facts of Stirring Life Story, Texas Lawmaker Offers chronology
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/us/accused-of-blurring-facts-of-stirring-life-story-texas-lawmaker-offers-chronology.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-thecaucus&_r=1
The New Republic - A Texas Newspaper Takes Aim at Wendy Davis's Cinderella Story—and Spins the Facts, Too
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116278/wendy-davis-profile-dallas-morning-news-has-its-own-spin-facts
Texas Monthly - Paul Burka: The Troubles of Wendy Davis
http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-blog/problems-wendy-davis#.Ut69CW9VPy4.twitter
Huffington Post - Sexist Digs At Wendy Davis Ramp Up After A Big Fundraising Report
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/wendy-davis-sexism_n_4638465.html
Davis' open letter, released today on her campaign page and sent to all of her e-mail subscribers
http://www.wendydavistexas.com/landing/e140121/

Also on the Gov race:
Texas Tribune - School Finance Trial Reopens, with Political Backdrop
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/01/21/school-finance-trial-reopens-political-backdrop/
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

Got this today, at least she's trying to fight back.

Dear Catherine,

As our campaign has gained momentum, our opponents have gotten more and more desperate. But now they’ve stooped to a new low by attacking my family, my education, and my personal story – playing politics with the journey that has been my life.

Mine is a story about a teenage single mother who struggled to keep her young family afloat. It’s a story about a young woman who was given a precious opportunity to work her way up in the world. It’s a story about resiliency, and sacrifice, and perseverance.

And you’re damn right it’s a true story.

Throughout this campaign, I’ve shared that story – not because it’s unique, but because it isn’t.

The story of my life is also the story of millions of single mothers who feel alone in the world, millions of young dreamers searching for their chance to become something more than what they were born into, millions of families all across Texas who would sacrifice everything to give their children a better future.

It’s those stories – your stories – that drive my campaign. But Greg Abbott and his allies don’t want to hear them. They don’t have anything to offer Texans who find themselves in the same difficult situation I was in when I was young. They would slam the doors I walked through and pull up the ladders I was lucky to be able to climb.

And now, instead of offering real ideas to improve your life, they’re attacking mine.

It won’t work. The only thing Greg Abbott and his allies have proved with these desperate attacks is that they don’t understand what it means to live a life like mine – a life like that of so many people all across our state.

They don’t know me – and, what’s more important, they don’t know you.

I’m not surprised that the Abbott campaign would resort to attacking the story of a single mother who worked hard to get ahead.

And I’m not afraid of their false attacks – I developed thick skin long before anyone knew my name.

What I am is deeply proud of the life I’ve built and the daughters I’ve raised – and deeply grateful to the many, many people who have shared their stories and offered their support as I’ve traveled our state.

No false attack can take away my story. And no sleazy political trick will stop me from giving voice to yours.

Your stories are why I’m running for Governor. And together, I know we’ll make sure that the Texas we leave to our children is a place where every young mother can build a better life for her child. . . where every family can work their way up the economic ladder. . . where every Texan can achieve their dreams and live out their own success story.

Together, we’ll break through these attacks, win this election, and make Texas even greater.

Wendy
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »

But first, the Texas Observer on growing anti-frackism in North Texas.
Texas Observer - North Texans to Railroad Commission: "Stop the Frackquakes"
http://www.texasobserver.org/north-texans-railroad-commission-stop-frackquakes/

Texas Tribune - Citing Quakes, Brown Calls for Disposal Well Shutdown
http://www.texastribune.org/2014/01/21/citing-quakes-brown-calls-disposal-well-shutdown/
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »

Davis trying to blame Abbott for these stories on her life coming out, but its not going to work. Abbott will destroy her so bad, nobody will ever look to her on seeking political office again
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »

There is no difference between a few wrong details in Davis' bio then when Rubio said he and his family feld Castro Cuba.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »

Davis's inconsistencies are coming out for all to see: she's the Manti Teo of Texas politics
Yawn. Every politician spins their back-story to make it seem like they come from a hardscrabble background and worked their way up from nothing through hard work, determination, etc. The controversy over the "discrepancies" in Davis's background completely perplexes me. We're talking about some pretty minor details that don't change the overall picture of her life and career.   
Reginald
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »

Hannity to attend State of the Union with Gohmert, is open to running for office in Texas should he decide to relocate in the wake of the Cuomo freakout.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hopefully he realizes (as we all do, obviously) that Florida's a better fit. Tongue
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

Hannity to attend State of the Union with Gohmert, is open to running for office in Texas should he decide to relocate in the wake of the Cuomo freakout.

Hopefully he realizes (as we all do, obviously) that Florida's a better fit. Tongue

Let's not have Sean Hannity in Florida
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

Florida's still a swing state though
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »

So Wendy Davis, as a young woman facing certain ceilings in how high she could climb professionally, fell in love with an older, wealthier man who proceeded to finance her law school education and facilitate her climb in politics.

Isn't that basically what Margaret Thatcher did?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »

Davis reminds me of the girl from the show, The Haves and Have Not's: pimping herself out for a sugar daddy with money.

If I were the Abbott campaign, I'd get her ex husband to be in our TV ads: exposing Davis as a fake.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »

Davis reminds me of the girl from the show, The Haves and Have Not's: pimping herself out for a sugar daddy with money.

If I were the Abbott campaign, I'd get her ex husband to be in our TV ads: exposing Davis as a fake.

And people wonder why we only have three women here.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

Holy sexism Batman!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »

There is no difference between a few wrong details in Davis' bio then when Rubio said he and his family feld Castro Cuba.
Are you defending Rubio or attacking Davis?

Neither, just making a point.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »

And people wonder why we only have three women here.

Given all of the effort they are putting into smearing her this far out, she must scare the sh**t out of them.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »

James O'keefe lol
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 01:02:15 PM »

Can somebody explain to me why Republicans are so bent on tearing down Davis if she doesn't have a chance at winning? It seems like overkill in such situation where the state's partisan leanings make it very difficult for Davis to win, even narrowly.

And anything that James O'Keefe is involved in is a lie, because he fakes things.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »

James O'Keefe coming out today apparently with video of Wendy Davis staffers mocking Abbott's disability.

Hmm. Standard stuff from these people I guess.

James O'Keefe trololololololololol
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »

Here's the big video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yZpr5JJGmI

Real ominous. It doesn't even show any of Davis' staffers saying a word about anything, it's all outside people and what they are saying isn't even worth getting upset about.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

Citing a James O'Keefe video.

LOL
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »

James O'Keefe coming out today apparently with video of Wendy Davis staffers mocking Abbott's disability.

Hmm. Standard stuff from these people I guess.

I'll just assume this is true.

Wendy Davis staffers make mean remarks = WOW SHE'S SO HORRIBLE, COMPLETELY UNFIT TO BE GOVERNOR

Chris Christie staffers order traffic jams against innocent citizens for political retribution = WOW HE'S SUCH AN INNOCENT VICTIM, HOW CAN YOU BLAME HIM FOR HIS STAFF'S ACTIONS?!?!?
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

Look for negative advertising, calling Davis a gold digger
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

As I said, there's criticism, and there's the point where you're being blatantly sexist. You're way past that point.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »

Lone Star Project has already hit back in the social media war with a recording of a GOP operative here in Texas talking about the race.

http://youtu.be/P-YRlswqrtA

The main thesis:
Quote from: Restricted
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

What are her attackers trying to say? That once you marry a rich person, you are like a serf bound to them for life and have no right to end the marriage? Clearly it's impossible for one to have an unhappy marriage to a wealthy spouse. After all, rich people are inherently unimpeachable super-humans and Wendy Davis should have been grateful for the privilege of being married to such a person. If she's anything less than ecstatically happy, she's clearly a gold-digger.

This is all Wendy Davis' fault. If she had just stayed in the kitchen making sandwiches and learned her place, none of these problems would ever have happened.

Quote from: Restricted

Greg Abbott has shown he's perfectly willing to breach the bounds of gentlemanly conduct and figuratively "hit a woman." I don't see why Wendy Davis shouldn't be allowed to figuratively "hit a cripple" if that's the kind of race he wants to run.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies