Wal-Mart holds food drive for employees who can't afford to feed themselves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:27:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wal-Mart holds food drive for employees who can't afford to feed themselves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wal-Mart holds food drive for employees who can't afford to feed themselves  (Read 1372 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
The Atlantic

How, um, thoughtful?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »

Hah!  I thought that's what the Dumpsters behind the Walmart were for.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »

If I were in that store, I'd just take a bunch of cans and throw them in there without paying for them.  Hopefully I wouldn't get caught.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »

If I were in that store, I'd just take a bunch of cans and throw them in there without paying for them.  Hopefully I wouldn't get caught.

Hopefully they catch the lying cheaters like you who are enabling these moochers.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

Hopefully they catch the lying cheaters like you who are enabling these moochers.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »

The question of course is why these associates are unable to afford food despite working.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »

The question of course is why these associates are unable to afford food despite working.

American capitalism.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »

Store management has no say in pay rates outside of the semiannual performance reviews, and even then those are awarded based on strict guidelines from corporate. I think it's great that the store's management did this because it's a not so subtle [inks] you to HQ and probably got them a ton of flack behind closed doors. The corporate spokesman is putting a positive spin on it because their hands were forced, just imagine the terrible press they would get if they shut this down.

Most Walmart associates are good people with good intentions, up to and including the typical store manager. It's mostly just the folks down in Bentonville.

1. You probably would get caught because Walmart has some insanely tough loss prevention compared to other retailers, and over zealous prevention of theft is one of the ways they guarantee "always low prices"

2. Even if you got away with it, it'd honestly be worse than doing nothing, the shrinkage from those stolen items would be deducted from the store's total sales which is what they use to allocate schedules (the total number of hours a manager has to allocate is based almost 100 percent on the most recently available sales figures, the less money the store is making the less shifts there are to have) and it's also what they base the quarterly bonus on.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Store management has no say in pay rates outside of the semiannual performance reviews, and even then those are awarded based on strict guidelines from corporate. I think it's great that the store's management did this because it's a not so subtle [inks] you to HQ and probably got them a ton of flack behind closed doors. The corporate spokesman is putting a positive spin on it because their hands were forced, just imagine the terrible press they would get if they shut this down.

Most Walmart associates are good people with good intentions, up to and including the typical store manager. It's mostly just the folks down in Bentonville.

1. You probably would get caught because Walmart has some insanely tough loss prevention compared to other retailers, and over zealous prevention of theft is one of the ways they guarantee "always low prices"

2. Even if you got away with it, it'd honestly be worse than doing nothing, the shrinkage from those stolen items would be deducted from the store's total sales which is what they use to allocate schedules (the total number of hours a manager has to allocate is based almost 100 percent on the most recently available sales figures, the less money the store is making the less shifts there are to have) and it's also what they base the quarterly bonus on.

That clears things up a bit.
Link
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

Optics are terrible.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »

American capitalism is increasingly becoming the Soviet propaganda version of American capitalism.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

American capitalism is increasingly becoming the Soviet propaganda version of American capitalism.

Or a real-life version of the cartoonish businessman often found in children's movies/books...such as the fashion designer who makes overpriced clothes out of the skins of baby Dalmatian puppies, or a real estate developer who hates children and wants to bulldoze some random playground/park/kind old grandmother's house to put up a parking lot/factory until a group of highly precocious kids and their talking cat who only they can understand manage to foil his plot.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »

Sure, ask the working class to pay for the working class instead of raising wages… Roll Eyes
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »

I was in WALMART once near the exit and this woman left, and I swear within 10 second there were three men sprinting from different directions after her. Pretty exciting stuff, as a bystander.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »

No the picture is is good focus with no lens flares or like, so while the composition of the photo might have been improved by widening the field of view, the optics are fine.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »

That's certainly a sad story and I supposed emblematic of how these mega stores do business. 

But, more than anything this reminds me of the contrast between Scrooge and Fezziwig in A Christmas Carol.  Wal-Mart is basically asking all the employees to chip in to buy the Cratchits Christmas dinner. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:50 AM »

I guess "associates" sounded better than "underpaid peons"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 01:37:38 AM »

Maybe opebo is on to something with the guillotines.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

Maybe opebo is on to something with the guillotines.

Cheesy
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2013, 11:27:10 AM by Bacon King »

They do?  A couple of weeks ago I bought some things, and I had placed a 20$$ item in the top compartment of the cart.  I accidentally forgot to pay for said item (forgetting about it altogether actually).  I had grabbed my bags and then another customer noticed it in the cart and let me know I had forgotten my item.  I could have just tossed it in my car no problem; but I went back inside and paid for it.

Asset Protection relies a lot on stuff like profiling and body language, so you're much more likely to get caught shoplifting if you look/act suspicious (or if you get caught stowing stuff away in your pockets or a purse, where you're obviously not planning on paying for it). With a genuine mistake they don't have anything to go by unless someone specifically notices it.

Of course it's entirely possible the helpful stranger was actually a plainclothes AP person, every store has at least two. They communicate with each other and with management with their cell phones, so that's really the only way to tell. Associates are specifically trained to give customers the benefit of the doubt when confronting them about shoplifting ("oh it looks like you forgot to ring this item up" or "excuse me sir did you forget about the video game you put inside your jacket?") so it's entirely possible you would have been detained and arrested had you declined to heed the kind stranger's observation.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »

Murica.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

Charity clearly is not dead yet.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

Pretty sure you're missing the point
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »

Obviously you use the AV for 1 Corinthians 13:13 rather than any of the newer translations.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

If corporations paid their workers a decent hourly wage of around $15-25 and hour, then the workers could have enough money to get by. I guess the lack of decent wages for workers is a byproduct of American capitalism. Maybe Opebo is right about implementing a "one time wealth tax".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies