Eleven year old found handcuffed to porch, with a dead chicken
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eleven year old found handcuffed to porch, with a dead chicken
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eleven year old found handcuffed to porch, with a dead chicken  (Read 756 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/18/boy-11-routinely-chained-in-north-carolina-home-police-say/
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »

Murica?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »

boys will be boys
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »

I understand the handcuffs, but what's the purpose of the chicken?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »

Our foster care system is dreadful, and to a large degree, it exists only because we want to say we have no orphanages here in America, not because we have a better alternative.  At least with orphanages it's easier to see that they get properly supervised.  Are there any actual studies concerning the relative value of family centered foster care versus group facilities, or are we going by the idea that families are best, even if we bounce children around from family to family to family to family to family to family to family to family to family?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

Our foster care system is dreadful, and to a large degree, it exists only because we want to say we have no orphanages here in America, not because we have a better alternative.  At least with orphanages it's easier to see that they get properly supervised.  Are there any actual studies concerning the relative value of family centered foster care versus group facilities, or are we going by the idea that families are best, even if we bounce children around from family to family to family to family to family to family to family to family to family?

That still doesn't explain the chicken.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

Bushie Jr in a 11 years?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »

I want to be a high school English teacher so I'm gonna practice now. -clears throat-

The handcuffs represent how society almost forces young children to still attach themselves to materials and property, so as to become dependent on these possessions when they grow older.  Even though these children might become aware of the fact that society is leading them to an adulthood of dependency upon property, the children cannot break free from the "shackles" that society has thrust upon them. Therefore, the chicken represents the innocence of the children. Their innocence has been slaughtered and handed back to them, and now they are chained to a material-based society whilst holding the dead remnants of everything that made them a child and a human, for that matter. They are now ready to become an adult.

Pretty good, eh?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

I want to be a high school English teacher so I'm gonna practice now. -clears throat-

The handcuffs represent how society almost forces young children to still attach themselves to materials and property, so as to become dependent on these possessions when they grow older.  Even though these children might become aware of the fact that society is leading them to an adulthood of dependency upon property, the children cannot break free from the "shackles" that society has thrust upon them. Therefore, the chicken represents the innocence of the children. Their innocence has been slaughtered and handed back to them, and now they are chained to a material-based society whilst holding the dead remnants of everything that made them a child and a human, for that matter. They are now ready to become an adult.

Pretty good, eh?
Are you Snowstalker's sock?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »

I might be.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »

Pretty good, eh?

haha.  I actually had to have it explained to me that when Othello changes his clothes, it means that he doesn't have a hard-on for Desdemona any more, so don't ask me to interpret literature.

Anyway, I think your figurative interpretation is pretty creative.

Seriously, though, I get the handcuffs.  I was an eleven-year-old boy once myself.  What I cannot understand is the chicken.  Was it lunch?  Was it a playmate?  Were they killing two birds with one stone--any puns unintended--as in, were they as worried about the chicken running off and getting into trouble as they were about the boy?  Was it some Louisiana thing?  I know that they're into hexes and such down there, although I'm not very well versed on the details of them.  Really, there's no explanation of the dead chicken in the article.  It's just, "A boy, one of five foster children, was regularly cuffed to the newel post.  oh, yeah, and apparently there was a dead chicken involved, too."  WTF?

Do any of you rural adoptees have any experience with this sort of thing?  Is the chicken significant?

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »

You see, the boy is sh#t and the chicken means he's chicken sh#t. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

It is very likely the boy grew up in a very conservative, religious household.  The boy was instructed before puberty never to put his hands in places where they don't belong, but he acted defiantly whenever he had the chance, and of course, a fresh pair of socks.  The chicken is dead as a result of his father strangling it - "choking the chicken," if you will - in an act to condemn the boy's lustful behaviors albeit at the expense of family supper.  Thus, not only are the boy's hands constricted to prevent him from engaging in this shameful act again, but he is forced to sit in the presence of his favorite sin.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »

It is very likely the boy grew up in a very conservative, religious household.  The boy was instructed before puberty never to put his hands in places where they don't belong, but he acted defiantly whenever he had the chance, and of course, a fresh pair of socks.  The chicken is dead as a result of his father strangling it - "choking the chicken," if you will - in an act to condemn the boy's lustful behaviors albeit at the expense of family supper.  Thus, not only are the boy's hands constricted to prevent him from engaging in this shameful act again, but he is forced to sit in the presence of his favorite sin.

This sounds disturbingly plausible. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »

I'm taking you with me the next time I watch a theatrical performance. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

Pretty good, eh?

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

I was going to say that the chicken was there to ward away evil, but this works too.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

This article has someone who was raised by these people commenting. He alleges that the boy may have been the one to kill the chicken.

http://www.khou.com/news/national/Man-says-boy-found-with-dead-chicken-around-neck-was-no-sweet-innocent-kid-232493501.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

Was it lunch?  Was it a playmate? 
Playmate of the Month.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length