Right-Wing cyber attacks on Healthcare.gov website confirmed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:42:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Right-Wing cyber attacks on Healthcare.gov website confirmed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Right-Wing cyber attacks on Healthcare.gov website confirmed  (Read 2363 times)
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

Assuming this is real, this should be a major news story...

It's probably leftwing hacks trying to give Republicans a bad name. How do we not know this is the case?

Can you read the quote that the original poster put up
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »

It's probably leftwing hacks trying to give Republicans a bad name. How do we not know this is the case?

It should be pretty easy to prove either way,  but it certainly sounds like something that would probably happen.
milhouse24
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »

they should have just created a PDF file and some hyperlinks to private insurers. 
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »

Because Republicans already have a bad name.
Link
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

If a site cant stand up to simple DDOS attacks its still a problem.

No website can stand up to DoS attacks.  If a website's normal traffic is large and the size of the attack is large enough the website goes down.  It's as simple as that... or am I missing something?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »

Cyber attacks are illegal, aren't they?  Hopefully they find and prosecute these bastards and lock them up for a very long time, as they should with all hackers.

No website can stand up to DoS attacks.  If a website's normal traffic is large and the size of the attack is large enough the website goes down.  It's as simple as that... or am I missing something?

DDoS attacks, from my knowledge, aren't that uncommon and aren't that tricky to do.  4Chan used to experience them on a weekly basis.  They usually take less than a day to fix, but good luck doing that for a government website that thousands of people are trying to access each day.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »

Just another feeble excuse by the radical leftists to explain Obama's pathetic job performance ratings.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races (applause); that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people… .
And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
- Abraham Lincoln, Charleston, IL; August 1858.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2013, 05:50:48 PM by Cryptic »

Apparently some conservatives don't care about law and order anymore.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »

Just another feeble excuse by the radical leftists to explain Obama's pathetic job performance ratings.

I can post memes that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, too.
Link
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »

Cyber attacks are illegal, aren't they?  Hopefully they find and prosecute these bastards and lock them up for a very long time, as they should with all hackers.

DDoS attacks, from my knowledge, aren't that uncommon and aren't that tricky to do.  4Chan used to experience them on a weekly basis.  They usually take less than a day to fix, but good luck doing that for a government website that thousands of people are trying to access each day.

Plenty of high profile sites have been taken down by DoS attacks.  And really as far as my understanding it's just a matter of scale.  I mean the number of hits healthcare.gov is taking at baseline has to be massive.  Add to that some mischief and I can see it getting ugly real fast.

Anyway I don't adopt any new technology on day one public or private.  I wasn't planning on looking at the site for months simply because I've dealt with the likes of Apple and I know the first few weeks or months are usually a disaster.  Not sure why the government would be an exception to the rule.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 12:40:33 AM »

I agree, this should be a MAJOR story.  Rachel Maddow and every other talking head on MSNBC should be all over this, every day.  The fact that its not leads me to suspect that barfbag is right.  Either that, or the accusation can't be proven.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races (applause); that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people… .
And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
June 16, 1858, Illinois State Capitol Springfield

A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

I agree, this should be a MAJOR story.  Rachel Maddow and every other talking head on MSNBC should be all over this, every day.  The fact that its not leads me to suspect that barfbag is right.  Either that, or the accusation can't be proven.

From what I've heard about this story, this hack and tool is real, but the people who have actually used is are so pathetically small in number that it has absolutely no real impact on the function of the site.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »

A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South.

That's an Obama-sized flip flop
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »

That's an Obama-sized flip flop

Not really.  Much of the Northern opposition to slavery had nothing to do with equal rights but with protecting white men from having to compete with slave labor.  Indeed, several midwest states had laws that not only banned slavery, but also banned free persons of color from residing there.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies