Udall v. Ford 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:42:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Udall v. Ford 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you vote for?  Who wins?
Udall / Udall

Udall / Ford

Ford / Udall

Ford / Ford

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Udall v. Ford 1976  (Read 5019 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2005, 01:38:36 AM »

If Mo Udall had gotten the nomination instead of Carter (and he came ridiculously close to taking Carter's momentum on several occasions), how would the 1976 election have turned out?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 02:05:21 AM »

A map:

Udall wins by only 279-259.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »

Wouldn't Udall (a Mormon IIRC) do better than that in Utah?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »

Plus Utah wasn't so partisanly Republican back then.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 07:14:13 AM »

Ford gets my vote.  No way I'm voting for a Mormon.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 11:40:29 PM »

I'll take Mo Udall. The man would have made a faaar better president than Jimmy Carter.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 08:08:02 AM »

Ford win 309-229
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »

Ford gets my vote.  No way I'm voting for a Mormon.

Clueless, narrow minded bigot.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »

Well, as Udall himself said "I'm a one-eyed mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that."

Udall, coming from congress would've definately worked better with them than Carter, and he probably would've out-likeabled Ford, which is a hard thing to do. I think Mo Udall would've been a terrific, at least very likable and quotable President.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »

I think any major Democrat could have defeated Ford - the Republican equaliant of Carter, in terms of stupidity.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 02:57:17 AM »

I think any major Democrat could have defeated Ford - the Republican equaliant of Carter, in terms of stupidity.

Agreed. After all, Gerald Ford is that man who said "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:00:24 AM »

Agreed. After all, Gerald Ford is that man who said "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe".

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - GW Bush, 3/13/02
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 03:06:25 AM »

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - GW Bush, 3/13/02

What does that have to do with Gerald Ford's stupidity or the 1976 election?

EDIT: By the way, nice way to tweak that quote...what he said was. "I have no idea where he is at, I just don't really consider him much of a priority".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 05:32:11 AM »

What does that have to do with Gerald Ford's stupidity or the 1976 election?

EDIT: By the way, nice way to tweak that quote...what he said was. "I have no idea where he is at, I just don't really consider him much of a priority".

Hmm, that's weird. OK, better selection of the quote.

Bush on Osama: "And, again, I don't know where he is.  I  --  I'll repeat what I said.  I truly am not that concerned about him."
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 11:07:18 AM »

Ford / Ford
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »

Udall/Udall
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2006, 07:03:09 PM by Winfield »

In a shrewd political move, Democratic Presidential nominee Mo Udall chooses former Arkansas Governor, and current Senator, Dale Bumpers, as his running mate.  Bumpers, a moderate Democrat, is instrumental in helping liberal Udall in making some breakthroughs in the south.

Ford's choice of Bob Dole helps to keep most of the conservative vote with the Republican ticket.

Udall, though liberal, is seen as competent, intelligent, and likeable.  Ford, though likeable, is not viewed as particularily competent by a large segment of the electorate. 

The Republicans have occupied the Presidency for the past 8 years, and Ford is still held in low esteem by many in the country for his pardoning of Richard Nixon.

Many disaffected Republicans vote for Udall, as well, most independents break towards Udall during the campaign.

Udall wins in a close, but undisputed, election, bringing his down home style, his wry wit, and his renowned sense of humor to the Presidency.     

Udall/Bumpers          275
Ford/Dole                  263

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 07:09:39 PM »

In a shrewd political move, Democratic Presidential nominee Mo Udall chooses former Arkansas Governor, and current Senator, Dale Bumpers, as his running mate.  Bumpers, a moderate Democrat, is instrumental in helping liberal Udall in making some breakthroughs in the south.

Ford's choice of Bob Dole helps to keep most of the conservative vote with the Republican ticket.

Udall, though liberal, is seen as competent, intelligent, and likeable.  Ford, though likeable, is not viewed as particularily competent by a large segment of the electorate. 

The Republicans have occupied the Presidency for the past 8 years, and Ford is still held in low esteem by many in the country for his pardoning of Richard Nixon.

Many disaffected Republicans vote for Udall, as well, most independents break towards Udall during the campaign.

Udall wins in a close, but undisputed, election, bringing his down home style, his wry wit, and his renowned sense of humor to the Presidency.     

No way Louisiana or Florida go for Udall - they barely went for Carter.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:44 PM »

No way Louisiana or Florida go for Udall - they barely went for Carter.

This map seems to represent more 2004 electoral trends than 1970's electoral trends.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2006, 03:56:01 PM by Winfield »

Alternative map for 1976

Bumpers' name, popularity, and influence in Arkansas secures a narrow victory for the Udall/Bumpers ticket in the state, and wins the election for them.

Udall has Bumpers to thank, in large measure, for his victory.

Bumpers goes on to play a very powerful, important, significant, and influential role in the Udall administration. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:13 PM »

Winfield, that was a good, if not very likely scenario. I think Udall probably could've won Illinois, but lost Nevada in your scenario.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies