Dean: Is Obamacare "keep your plan" fix even legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean: Is Obamacare "keep your plan" fix even legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dean: Is Obamacare "keep your plan" fix even legal?  (Read 2009 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHFsbWJYO0
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

Yes. Next question.

The betrayal of Obama by Democrats here is disgusting.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

Kick him out of the party, true Democrats stand by our President and his chief policy achievement.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

Complicated regulatory rules get delayed all the time. 

File this under the Ron Paul corollary: Doctors know jack about the law.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »

Kick him out of the party, true Democrats stand by our President and his chief policy achievement.

This. Clinton and Dean should be expelled from the party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »

I thought everyone here was against the "Keep your plan" stuff?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »

Regardless of whether or not you're against it, it's obviously not illegal. Dean is just concern trolling here.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »

Regardless of whether or not you're against it, it's obviously not illegal. Dean is just concern trolling here.

^^^
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

The executive branch obviously can't just "fix" a law created by the legislative branch. That's not how our government works. Unless we've actually decided as a society that its acceptable for a president to do what he wants when he wants it. Dean is only slightly criticizing Obama here, I don't know what this "kick him out of the party" nonsense is. That actually sounds more like the Tea Party than democrats.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:54 PM »

The executive branch obviously can't just "fix" a law created by the legislative branch. That's not how our government works. Unless we've actually decided as a society that its acceptable for a president to do what he wants when he wants it. Dean is only slightly criticizing Obama here, I don't know what this "kick him out of the party" nonsense is. That actually sounds more like the Tea Party than democrats.

No offense, but you have no idea how our government works.  This is within the regulatory power of the executive under the relevant statutes.  Administrative law, the APA, federal regulations and such may not be in your high school civics textbooks, but they actually exist. 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »

What does this have to do with 2016?  Just because Dean is willing to critique Obama doesn't mean he is running. He has already stated he wont run against Hillary. I guess it is possible he would run in an open field, but not sure this statement really has any factor in that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »

Dean has publicly said that he's thinking about running, so any daylight he's trying to put between himself and Obama is of relevance.  Or really, anything that he says or does that might have bearing on a potential campaign is of interest, just like we talked about the machinations of Cuomo, O'Malley, etc. here.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »

well politically I don't see how in any way Dean's comments could be calculated to benefit him in any potential 2016 primary run. It doesn't differentiate him among any of the other potential 2016ers (except maybe Biden) but mainly only pits him against Obama which is seen as disloyal so that doesn't help (as some of the above comments demonstrate).

Dean seems to be speaking non-politically but more as a long time advocate of health reform and purity on that issue.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »

And of course the Obamabots rush to defend their messiah's Heritage Foundation plan. Obamacare is an utter joke, an insult to advocates of actual health care reform (i.e. nationalization) and I hope it fails. The neoliberal cancer needs to be exterminated, even if cutting it off may hurt.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

And of course the Obamabots rush to defend their messiah's Heritage Foundation plan. Obamacare is an utter joke, an insult to advocates of actual health care reform (i.e. nationalization) and I hope it fails. The neoliberal cancer needs to be exterminated, even if cutting it off may hurt.

I pretty much agree with this, except the "hope it fails" part. Even though it is a crappy Republican plan, the country will be much better off if it succeeds.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »

That sounds pretty extreme. It's almost like saying you're un-American for disagreeing with Bush's foreign policy after 9/11. It's attitudes like this that allowed such division in the first place.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

The casual sociopathy of sheltered rich kids who'll never have to worry about losing their health insurance.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 02:31:41 AM by Eskimo Joe's »

I'm not a big fan of Obamacare but prominent Democrats should not go out in public attacking it when it's already in trouble. You people do realize that we're not going to get anything better than this anytime soon, right?

Dean doesn't really matter that much at the moment but what the Clintons are doing is unconscionable.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Obamacare but prominent Democrats should not go out in public attacking it when it's already in trouble. You people do realize that we're not going to get anything better than this anytime soon, right?

Dean doesn't really matter that much at the moment but what the Clinton's are doing is unconscionable.

The Clintons still think Obama should be "getting [them] coffee" so it's not surprising that they'd resort to dirty tricks (again) to set up Hillary's candidacy. Maybe next they'll compare Obama to Jesse Jackson again.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

Dean doesn't really matter that much at the moment but what the Clinton's are doing is unconscionable.

The Clintons still think Obama should be "getting [them] coffee" so it's not surprising that they'd resort to dirty tricks (again) to set up Hillary's candidacy. Maybe next they'll compare Obama to Jesse Jackson again.

Team Clinton is a force majerue.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

For some reason when I saw this thread I thought it referred to Dean Baker.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »

I thought this was a troll post at first, kind of frightening that it isn't.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »

In January, in the "Who is running?" thread, I noted how Dean has always been down on Obamacare:

Dean belongs squarely in the category of Democrats who get along with neither the Clinton nor Obama political teams.  The Clintons didn't like his handling of the 2008 primary process controversies, and then Dean seemed to have something of a falling out with the Obama team in the following year, perhaps related to Obama passing him over for Sebelius at HHS.

Dean criticized Obamacare when it moving through Congress, saying that the country needed single payer instead:

http://www.gohealthinsurance.com/blog/coverage/entry/20091216

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2012, he even went so far as to say that he hoped the Supreme Court struck down the individual mandate:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/howard-dean-individual-mandate_n_1609171.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2011, he said that many Obama administration aides had treated progressives "with contempt":

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/monitor_breakfast/2011/0105/Howard-Dean-blasts-White-House-for-treating-liberals-with-contempt
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

Dean actually seems like one of the saner politicians out there and I wouldn't have said that a few years ago either. I thought the guy was a hard-core lefty but I don't think he is currently. Maybe just on Health Care he is hard-core left because he wants single-payer.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:54 PM »

Or you could argue that decent politicians don't stand behind something they think is an affront to the Constitution.

That being said, I don't think it's unconstitutional.  Look - Obama is one of the worst Presidents we've had from a PR standpoint.  He says things he shouldn't say and guarantees things he shouldn't guarantee.  His Press Secretary can't keep a lid on things.  At this point, why go down with the ship and cost yourselves in 2016?  Admit that Obama screwed up, distance yourselves from him, and mitigate the damage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies