Gallup: 76% favor $9 minimum wage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:22:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: 76% favor $9 minimum wage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Gallup: 76% favor $9 minimum wage  (Read 4351 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »

By July, the whole west coast will be at least $9 an hour.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 11:41:03 PM »

I'm always in the minority on this issue. Higher wages lead to higher prices which causes the value of the dollar to decline.

Citations?

Isn't it common sense?  If you increase labor cost, that increased cost has to be absorbed somewhere, and higher prices is one place it can be expected to go.  I haven't seen any economist argue against this. The question is by how much will prices increase.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 11:52:34 PM »

I'm always in the minority on this issue. Higher wages lead to higher prices which causes the value of the dollar to decline.

Citations?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Offer of proof?

Why?  Taking your arguments/assumptions as fact, you'd be willing to trade all of those supposed negative consequences for a cap of the corporate rate of 34%?

I have my qualms about raising the minimum wage, I do.  I really do.  That all said, some data and support for our suspicions would help.  And at present I have none.  You?

This is very simple. If you pay someone $20 to sell your product and now have to pay them $25 to sell the same product, you're going to raise the price of your product in order to compensate for the money lost.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 01:15:07 AM »

Citations?

Offer of proof?

Why?  Taking your arguments/assumptions as fact, you'd be willing to trade all of those supposed negative consequences for a cap of the corporate rate of 34%?

I have my qualms about raising the minimum wage, I do.  I really do.  That all said, some data and support for our suspicions would help.  And at present I have none.  You?

This is very simple. If you pay someone $20 to sell your product and now have to pay them $25 to sell the same product, you're going to raise the price of your product in order to compensate for the money lost.

No. Pay is way behind productivity.

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »

Citations?

Offer of proof?

No. Pay is way behind productivity.

Regardless of how big your profit is, you're still going to want to raise prices in order to make up for your loss in profit.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »

How much of that increase in productivity has been in sectors where wages tend toward the minimum?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »

If you pay more for labor and do not raise prices for your good or service, you have a leg up against your competitors that do raise their prices. You're also now in a marketplace where more money is actively circulating, so more people can afford it anyway.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

Those people may have wages set relative to the minimum wage. Those people are also parents and others who want to see others succeed. People are not islands.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »

IL has the highest rate in the Midwest at $8.25, and it is a factor in some job relocation to other Midwest states that are at or closer to the national standard. A federal change would likely have the effect of improving IL's competitiveness with respect to the neighboring states.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »

I don't have a problem with this.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

Assuming a 40-hour workweek and a 50-week workyear (52 weeks minus 2 weeks unpaid vacation), that's 2000 hours a year. The federal poverty line for a family of four is a bit under 25000 last time I checked, so 25000/2000 equals a $12.50 per hour minimum wage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »

Assuming a 40-hour workweek and a 50-week workyear (52 weeks minus 2 weeks unpaid vacation), that's 2000 hours a year. The federal poverty line for a family of four is a bit under 25000 last time I checked, so 25000/2000 equals a $12.50 per hour minimum wage.

It's been a long time since we expected the poor to be able to afford the luxury of a stay-at-home parent. (And even when we did expect it, it didn't happen as much as our collective mythos called for.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »

What percentage of minimum wage workers are the only breadwinner for a family of four+?  I'd assume somewhere south of 15%...I'd be shocked if it was greater than 20%.  My guess...something slightly less than 5%.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

Another thing about minimum wage is that in 1985 it was $3.35 an hour which is $7.27 today. That's only 2 cents more an hour.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »

Another thing about minimum wage is that in 1985 it was $3.35 an hour which is $7.27 today. That's only 2 cents more an hour.

Right, but people would probably argue that it was too low then as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

And look at how income inequality has soared since then:

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

And what do you propose be done? Let me guess. Higher taxes on the rich, more welfare benefits, and more government jobs regardless of how much it costs taxpayers?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »

Yeah, basically. That's been a winning formula in every country that's tried it, including the United States up until the 70s and 80s when conservatives like Carter and Reagan started f[inks]ing everything up.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »

And what do you propose be done? Let me guess. Higher taxes on the rich, more welfare benefits, and more government jobs regardless of how much it costs taxpayers?

Yup
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »

Once again, Lief and Alfred are the ones making everyone else look stupid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

So of course, their answer is ridiculously overgenerous...

Nothing about $9 an hour is even mildly generous.

Yeah where does this strange fellow live?  Nicaragua?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »

IL has the highest rate in the Midwest at $8.25, and it is a factor in some job relocation to other Midwest states that are at or closer to the national standard. A federal change would likely have the effect of improving IL's competitiveness with respect to the neighboring states.

This Newport, WA McDonalds hasn't bothered to move across the street to the vacant lot on the Idaho side of the street to get a $2 an hour cheaper minimum wage.

http://www.kplu.org/post/why-wont-mcdonalds-move-20-feet-lower-wage-idaho
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »

I bet some of the employees are Idahoans too. Crossing state lines to make their butter.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:04 AM »

What you would do (or not do)?

We wouldn't need more welfare if people were paid a decent wage.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 02:43:38 AM »

p
We wouldn't need more welfare if people were paid a decent wage.

For real. The idea that someone can work a full 40 hour week and still qualify for welfare benefits should be evidence that the minimum wage is too low.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies