The OFFICIAL 2013 Election Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:23:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The OFFICIAL 2013 Election Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2013 Election Results Thread  (Read 47069 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »

Proposal 1 and 5 in NY state are winning. Ugh.

Ugh indeed.  Well, I'm actually somewhat conflicted on 1, but did ultimately vote no.

But it's early, very few results from NYC, there's hope yet.

At least 3 is winning; a No vote on that would be truly disastrous.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »

It's leading by about the same percentage in Westchester County, which is usually a good belwether in statewide elections.  It will pass.  Good jobs will stay in the Adirondacks!  Smiley

I don't see how spitting in the face of "forever wild" deserves a smiley face here.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

It's leading by about the same percentage in Westchester County, which is usually a good belwether in statewide elections.  It will pass.  Good jobs will stay in the Adirondacks!  Smiley

I don't see how spitting in the face of "forever wild" deserves a smiley face here.

There will be more land put into the reserve than taken out.  Everybody wins.

No, it's the principle of the thing.  "Forever wild" means "forever wild"- and the Adirondacks were very specifically and purposefully created to be forever wild.  You don't f[inks] with that, if words have meaning.

Also, I'll trust the mining company's promise about as far as I can throw it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:41 PM »

Well, here's a bit of good news:

With 66% of the vote in, Ken Thompson is rolling, 71.7%-28.3% over Hynes, and is the projected winner.

Looks like all my worry was unwarranted.  Whew!
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2013, 06:56:09 PM by traininthedistance »

Dude... gross.

Yes yes, how dare those conservative white trash country yokels actually get good job opportunities. Whenever these sorts of environmental issues crop up it's a nice reminder that many liberals and leftists don't actually care about working people.

Bull.  Those "good job opportunities" are inevitably far fewer, and far worse, than promised, and then when the mining company leaves (as it inevitably will, eventually), the people there will be worse off than before.

Hitching your star to resource extraction* is one of the worst economic development strategies there is.  I mean, I recognize that it is inevitably not seen that way (for various reasons) by most people living in those areas; and I do recognize that it's also not the sort of activity we can afford to eliminate entirely.  But we do need to reserve the ability to proscribe it from areas where it's particularly inappropriate (of which the Adirondacks happen to be such an area), and to have regulations with teeth that ensure proper mitigation.  

And it is definitely the case that, although rural development is a tricky thing, seeing through the false promise of "mining jobs" and understanding that there is a counterbalancing greater good to keep in mind should not and cannot be misconstrued as "not caring about working people".

*Mining in particular.  Forestry and fishery have their own sets of issues, but as a rule are much less destructive, or at least can be if done in a halfway-responsible manner.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies