Ethnic composition of US cities in 1930

<< < (3/3)

King of Kensington:
OK I will do more this week.

TeePee4Prez:
Quote from: patrick1 on October 30, 2013, 08:20:50 PM

Great posts, thanks.  A few random points- you may be under counting the Polish population in NY. Real tough target because of the various carving ups of the state.  

Another interesting thing is that the immigrants from Quebec would not have been exclusively French.  My grandmother was born in Quebec to newly arrived Irish who made their way to NYC after about 5 years or so.

Trying to do some digging on Ancestry.com myself.  Not all of my Irish ancestors came in through Philly.  Some were from upstate PA/Lehigh Valley and one of them was even from Virginia!  Not sure if the upstate PA ancestors came into NYC and the VA one who knows??  From what I read VA was definitely not a place considered Irish Catholic friendly, in fact I'm thinking some kind of indentured servant may not be out of the question.

I even have a great grandfather I only know the names of his parents, but nothing else.  His name was Moore and I'm thinking Irish, but that name was commonly Anglo-Irishized from other Central/Eastern European names.  Researching the Irish, or anything else non-Anglo-Germanic, is quite difficult.

H. Ross Peron:
This is one of the best threads I've seen on this site. Will you ever be getting around to Los Angeles?

muon2:
Quote from: King of Kensington on October 30, 2013, 12:18:09 AM

Chicago:  Out of a population of 3,376,000, there were 2,174,000 "foreign white stock", 64% of the population and 943,000 "native whites of native parentage" at 28%.  The largest "foreign stock" groups were the Poles at 401,000 and Germans at 378,000.  With the third generation included, assuming 5% of NBNPs are of Polish ancestry, the Polish population may go up to 450,000, or 13% of the population.  Assuming one-third of the NBNP are of German descent, that puts the German ancestry population at around 690,000 or about 20% of the population, the largest single ethnic group in Chicago. 

My mother's HS yearbook (1955) is almost entirely German and Polish reflecting the immigrant population of the previous generation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page