Urban County Clusters - Delineations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:17:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Urban County Clusters - Delineations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban County Clusters - Delineations  (Read 36093 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: January 13, 2014, 02:13:31 AM »

Nassau County (New York--Newark, NY--NJ--CT 1337)  1340  1337  100%;  

Wondering where the 3,000 in Nassau County not classified as urban are located?  Greenvale and the area around CW Post perhaps?

Some areas of the North Shore to the west of Oyster Bay, including Mill Neck.  Jones Beach Island (although I don't think anyone lives on the Nassau County part of the island).  And some swampland in Lawrence - though, again, I'm not sure anyone lives there.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2016, 11:13:33 PM by cinyc »

Good tabulating.  (Lots of time on your hands?)  In most cases I understand the numbers.  This is because the number in the parenthesis match the second number outside it.  For example,

ANCHORAGE, AK 292 (1): Anchorage Municipality (Anchorage, AK 251)  292  251  86%.

Anchorage has one county in the ACC, 251000 county residents live in the UCC, and the county has 292000 total.

But in some cases the numbers do not match.  For example,

LANCASTER, PA 519 (1): Lancaster County (Lancaster, PA 397; Philadelphia, PA--NJ--DE--MD 5)  519  402  77%.

Reading your explanation of the table, I think these numbers should match.  Am I missing something?

Anchorage has only one UCC in its county equivalent, Anchorage Muncipality, and the Anchorage UCC lies solely within Anchorage municipality, but not all residents of Anchorage Municipality are in the UCC.  This is largely because the joint Air Force/Army base in the municipality cuts the city's UCC off from the northern part of the municipality.  The northern part of the municipality includes the suburb of Eagle River.  Similarly, the municipality is large enough to include the relatively smaller ski community of Girdwood in the south, which isn't part of the UCC because it is separated by miles of state park/national forest from the Anchorage Bowl.  (In fact, Girdwood doesn't even get police services from the Anchorage police department).

In your second example, Lancaster County has areas in 2 UCCs - the Lancaster UCC near Lancaster City, and the Philadelphia UCC.  397,000 people live in the Lancaster UCC.  An additional 5,000 people live in the Philadelphia UCC.  So 402,000 of the county's 519,000 residents live in a UCC, or 77% of the total population.  Parts of rural Amish Country probably separate the Lancaster UCC from the Philadelphia UCC in the county.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies