Urban County Clusters - Delineations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Urban County Clusters - Delineations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Urban County Clusters - Delineations  (Read 35925 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »

Good tabulating.  (Lots of time on your hands?)  In most cases I understand the numbers.  This is because the number in the parenthesis match the second number outside it.  For example,

ANCHORAGE, AK 292 (1): Anchorage Municipality (Anchorage, AK 251)  292  251  86%.

Anchorage has one county in the ACC, 251000 county residents live in the UCC, and the county has 292000 total.

But in some cases the numbers do not match.  For example,

LANCASTER, PA 519 (1): Lancaster County (Lancaster, PA 397; Philadelphia, PA--NJ--DE--MD 5)  519  402  77%.

Reading your explanation of the table, I think these numbers should match.  Am I missing something?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »

The characterization which we (muon2 and myself) have used is based on the population within the urbanized areas within the county. In the case of Lancaster County, this includes 397K in the Lancaster Urbanized Area, and 5K in the Philadelphia Urbanized Area, for a total of 402K in urbanized areas (the total and percentages were based on actual values, then rounded).

makes sense.  Thank you.

I don't know whether you have been following the redistricting discussion mostly between Muon2, Torie, and myself, but a goal is to have congressional districts constructed primarily from counties, and to have objective criteria for comparing different plans.

also makes sense, but good luck getting that through the PA legislature.  Here's a map for a typical congressional district:

pretty creative, don't you think?  (The area labeled Salisbury Heights is probably where the 5000 people live who are not in the Lancaster MSA but in the Philadelphia MSA.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies