When was the Republican Party the liberal party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:00:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When was the Republican Party the liberal party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When was the Republican Party the liberal party?  (Read 18969 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: March 11, 2005, 12:44:13 AM »

Among the liberals trying to seize the Democratic nomination in 1972 were George McGovern, Hubert Humphrey, and Edmund Muskie.

McGovern believed abortion should be left up to the states.  Humphrey flatly said "I'm not for it."  Muskie: "It compromises the sanctity of human life."

McGovern's original running mate, Missour Senator Tom Eagleton, was a very pro-life Catholic.  I doubt there'd ever be a guy like that on a Democratic national ticket these days.

That said, I'm an old-school Democrat!

(Muskie in particular had some controversy over gay rights, and McGovern approved a watered down gay rights plank at the 1972 convention, rather than the radical one his constituents wanted.  I  don't particularly agree with the old-school Democrats on this issue, but hey, abortion matters more to me.)

Reid is pretty anti-abortion
If you call yourself pro-life, you should be against killing random Iraqis. Also, stem cell research will save lives, which is another problem right there for those people.

Pro-life is such a useless term. A pollster called my mom once, and she said she was pro-life when they asked, because it seemed like a reasonable term to her. She's 100% pro-choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies