When was the Republican Party the liberal party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:20:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When was the Republican Party the liberal party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When was the Republican Party the liberal party?  (Read 18952 times)
RJ
« on: March 10, 2005, 10:12:56 PM »

I'm not quite convinced Democrats are not as involved in nationalism as Republicans. One thing the last election proved to me is that there are certainly two different views for the direction our country should be heading in, but I would anything but say the Democrats cause is one of antinationalism. I suppose one man's nationalism is another man's antinationalism...

I don't believe I see a link between certain events in which the two parties have taken opposite sides on in different parts of history and nationalism. How can abolishing slavery in 1865 be viewed as nationalism while passing civil rights 100 years later be viewed as part of antinationalism? How can getting involved in Iraq in 2003 be viewed as nationalism while going to Viet Nam 40 years prior be viewed as antinationalism? Our leaders on capitol hill said the same thing 40 years ago as they did today: "Preserve freedom," "Support our troops," "My country right or wrong..."

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that people have different ideas of what nationalism is. That's a very subjective term. I don't really mean to sound too defensive in the respect that someone is saying "Democrats are not as much nationalists as Republicans," but I think there are better ways of contrasting the two parties. I think the economic one is an excellent point.

I suppose I would not offer criticisms without offering solutions. In my opinion, another distinct difference between the two is that "liberal" involves change while "conservative" begs for status quo. Most elderly tend to be conservative, and my thinking is because they want things exactly as they were throughout the course of their lifespan. liberal thinking is more likely to be found in younger people because they want something different and embrace change. I think both groups, young and old, equally believe they are nationalists.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies