Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:25:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 130009 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »

Scott, for what it's worth, I often have feelings similar to the ones that you're experiencing right now. I don't have any advice for improving your situation (I can't even improve my own), but I thought that it might make you feel better to know that you aren't the only one who feels like you do.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »

I had to take a shower in the dark earlier today. It was one of the most depressing things that I've ever had to do in my life.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »

So I poured myself a bowl of cereal this morning. I ate one spoonful and found the taste rather off-putting. The second spoonful didn't taste as bad, but I was curious; "Did I pour myself a bowl of goat's milk?" I wondered. Expiration date on the jug: 12/31/13. Oops.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »

A friend of mine from college has been been using game theory to dominate Jeopardy! all week.  And has also been using Twitter to expertly fend off the various dimwits and racists who don't like that he's playing to win, or that he's Asian and kind of frumpy.

I hope that you aren't offended that I've been rooting against your friend all week. There are few things in this world that bother me more than people who play Jeopardy! the way that he does Tongue
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »

I've made the decision to boycott Jeopardy! until the current champion is defeated.

Given how committed I am to that show, this is definitely a big enough change in my life to warrant being posted in this thread.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

I've made the decision to boycott Jeopardy! until the current champion is defeated.

Given how committed I am to that show, this is definitely a big enough change in my life to warrant being posted in this thread.

I'm sorry that you hate excellence and effort.

I don't advocate doing things poorly, but I do believe that it's possible to do something too well. Found between the two aforementioned extremes is the medium that is happiest for all.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:50 PM »

I don't advocate doing things poorly, but I do believe that it's possible to do something too well. Found between the two aforementioned extremes is the medium that is happiest for all.

So I assume that, for you, Ken Jennings was the worst Jeopardy contestant in history, and you would basically throw things at your TV in reaction to him steamrolling opponents for months on end, because he was too good.

My objection isn't to this guy winning - my objection is to him not playing the game the "right" way (which entails beginning at the top of a category and working one's way down the board).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

So I assume that, for you, Ken Jennings was the worst Jeopardy contestant in history, and you would basically throw things at your TV in reaction to him steamrolling opponents for months on end, because he was too good.

My objection isn't to this guy winning - my objection is to him not playing the game the "right" way (which entails beginning at the top of a category and working one's way down the board).

[appeal to authority]

1. What Jennings did against Watson isn't really comparable to what Chu is doing now because Ken Jennings' Daily Double hunting was in reaction to the Daily Double hunting of one of his opponents. If someone were to use Chu's strategy against him in order to defeat him and then revert to playing the game my preferred way, I would voice no objection.

2. You and I seem to have a fundamental philosophical disagreement about how game shows should be played. You seem to believe that either a) Contestants have a responsibility to win games regardless of how their strategy is received by the audience or other contestants, or b) Watching a contestant succeed at a game should always be enjoyable for the audience. I find the Social Darwinist philosophy that underlies both of these assertions rather unpalatable, preferring that game show contestants compete in a way that is agreeable both to their fellows and to the audience.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My criticisms of this guy have nothing to do with his race or wanting an "average Joe" to win. To the contrary: I always root for the non-white contestants to spite the members of my family who are actually racist. I do root against contestants who have insufferable personalities, but Chu actually doesn't seem bad on that front - I just can't stand the way that the man plays the game.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »

I just registered for it; I have been told it is more geared toward writing and history. Is this true?

The ACT doesn't have any history on it. The five subjects tested are English, Math, Reading, Science, and Writing, and the Writing test is actually optional.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »

I just registered for it; I have been told it is more geared toward writing and history. Is this true?

The ACT doesn't have any history on it. The five subjects tested are English, Math, Reading, Science, and Writing, and the Writing test is actually optional.
I registered for the writing. I assume its an essay?

Yes. The test-taker is presented with a topic, on which they then have thirty minutes to write an essay.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »

Today is my first day home after a week-long vacation to the Florida panhandle. I'm here to report that Mississippi and Alabama were significantly more wooded than I expected. I'm also here to report that, while in Alabama, I saw a black man driving a car with a "Romney/Ryan 2012" bumper sticker. Another bumper sticker anecdote that might interest someone: I spent a few seconds in traffic behind a vehicle whose driver "Purple heart the Old Latin Mass". Next to that sticker was one which admonished whoever was reading it to "Pray the Rosary".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies