Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128900 times)
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »

Went and saw Bruno Mars at the gorge last night, he put on a pretty good show.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1051 on: August 11, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »

Trapped in Detroit for the time being; everything's so flooded that you're risking your car by trying to drive. As such, I couldn't go to work today, which I'm sure my superintendent and foreman just loved hearing. Thank God I only have a few more days here.
Don't risk it: see my post at the beginning of this thread when I tried to see a movie with a girl. She stood me up and I drove home through a flood and almost lost my car in the process.

In Sanchez news, a friend of mine was hired by a highly important political figure. I'll refrain from saying anything else, but I am excited as this opens a huge window of opportunity for me to get a plushy internship.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1052 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

I think my antidepressants aren't working. I've felt really blue the past couple of days. I guess I always do but I'm getting into that tired, despondent state that I haven't been in in several months.

I'm wondering if there are any career opportunities for hermits - something like being the caretaker for an isolated English country house that no one ever goes to should be right up my alley. It gets awfully lonely when there are too many people around.

Oh dear, man! You've mentioned having a therapist before; you should probably let them know what's going on.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1053 on: August 12, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »

I think my antidepressants aren't working. I've felt really blue the past couple of days. I guess I always do but I'm getting into that tired, despondent state that I haven't been in in several months.

I'm wondering if there are any career opportunities for hermits - something like being the caretaker for an isolated English country house that no one ever goes to should be right up my alley. It gets awfully lonely when there are too many people around.

Oh dear, man! You've mentioned having a therapist before; you should probably let them know what's going on.

I just don't see the point. I already know what's wrong with me - I have no friends, no social life, never had a meaningful relationship and I hate my job and hate this city. I can go ask for more pills to numb the pain so I can tolerate my life, but if that's all I have to look forward to, then what is the point?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1054 on: August 12, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »

So they're building a Golden Corral about 5 minutes from my house. I have never eaten at one and don't particularly plan to, but I feel it would make an ideal Atlas meetup location.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1055 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »

So they're building a Golden Corral about 5 minutes from my house. I have never eaten at one and don't particularly plan to, but I feel it would make an ideal Atlas meetup location.
Golden Corral is incredible. As unhealthy as I am, I only eat there a few times a year, but everyone should experience it once.

I just don't see the point. I already know what's wrong with me - I have no friends, no social life, never had a meaningful relationship and I hate my job and hate this city. I can go ask for more pills to numb the pain so I can tolerate my life, but if that's all I have to look forward to, then what is the point?
I see a therapists for all the same reasons, and I know exactly as you feel. I have been going to Therapy for two years now (went for the first time yesterday in six months) and it has helped me understand why I am in a similar situation. There is nothing about you that needs to change, and a therapist won't force you to change things or even go on pills. But they can give you a sense of understanding that will allow you to go on in life and I am slowly starting to see the results.

I also started to practice TM. It is not a religion, though I was forced out of it for six months by a well meaning but misinformed teacher. It is a neurological technique that works wonders. It is not a scam, and for $300, you can have a lifetime of assistance from them. My own therapist practices it, and he told me yesterday that his daughter describes it as a cheap, easy, life-lasting form of psychotherapy that gives you an overwhelming sense of peace and confidence. I really hope you look into it. In the meantime, keep your chin up and know that I am praying and rooting for you Smiley.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1056 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

Cigna denied health coverage to a patient at the rehab where my brother is going, and he died of a drug overdose. Now they are trying to deny my brother the same coverage.

I am a firm believer in the free market, but stories like this only enhance my belief that we need a public healthcare system. It is hypocritical of me, I admit. But it is badly, badly needed. Every other advanced nation has a system where problems like this do not exist.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1057 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

I just got offered a job (to teach English - in a legit place) in Medellín, Colombia! I have one month to think about it and consider it, but it sounds pretty damn enticing (not a good pay, but accommodation+internet and food 2x day 6x week is included).
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1058 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

I just got offered a job (to teach English - in a legit place) in Medellín, Colombia! I have one month to think about it and consider it, but it sounds pretty damn enticing (not a good pay, but accommodation+internet and food 2x day 6x week is included).

Would it be a temporary or a permanent job? How much per hour?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1059 on: August 12, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »

Would it be a temporary or a permanent job? How much per hour?

It's 3 months (and can be extended to 6) for 35 hours/week (flexible). It's $122 per month, but the guy tells me it's only a bit below local minimum wage and can definitely cover the extra food I need. Frankly, my main worry is getting by - the guy said it's a tight budget - but I have extra cash to spare if need be, and the no rent/no cable-internet/free food most of the time is a good deal.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1060 on: August 12, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »

My 3-month-old nephew has been having some difficulties.  He has clubfoot.  Treatment has started, but he still has to wait a while before he'll fully recover.  He also has acid reflux disease, and it will probably be a couple of months before that finally ends.  Both these conditions have caused him much pain.

Fortunately, he is expected to recover eventually from both.  He also seems fairly happy and is smiling much more frequently.  (I've not actually seen my nephew since he's in France.  This is what I hear from my sister.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1061 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »

Back to school on the 'morrow. I can only hope that this upcoming school year will be better after this long, hot, and lonely summer.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1062 on: August 12, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »

Cigna denied health coverage to a patient at the rehab where my brother is going, and he died of a drug overdose. Now they are trying to deny my brother the same coverage.

I am a firm believer in the free market, but stories like this only enhance my belief that we need a public healthcare system. It is hypocritical of me, I admit. But it is badly, badly needed. Every other advanced nation has a system where problems like this do not exist.

I'm sorry. Is this rehab for drug addiction? Did the guy die because he had to leave the facility and relapsed?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1063 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:13 AM »

I'm sorry. Is this rehab for drug addiction? Did the guy die because he had to leave the facility and relapsed?
Yes, a drug rehab. He was released before he could resolve his issues and fell back into the wrong crowd. This happened to my brother when he was released last month, though he fortunately was placed back in treatment. There is an element of individual choice of course, but addiction is still a serious mental trouble and the tragedy that happened could have been avoided.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1064 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

Things kind of really suck right now- well, they have mostly sucked in general for a long time but are doing so especially hard at the moment. 

I hate to be all cryptic like that, but I'm caught between needing to vent while also not really wanting to broadcast the full extent of my various failures and depressions.  So, there you go.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1065 on: August 13, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »

We've all been there (kind of, probably, those of us without gilded lives anyway). Solidarity, etc.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1066 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »

We've all been there (kind of, probably, those of us without gilded lives anyway). Solidarity, etc.

My life is in some ways more gilded than I would ever like to admit and to be brutally honest that's part of the problem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1067 on: August 13, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »

Goodness, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you pull through and come out better than before.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1068 on: August 13, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that, Traininthedistance. You understandably may not want to discuss this with strangers on an internet forum, but you should at least talk about it to people whom you know care about you. In my experience, talking to people about what makes us sad is the only way out.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1069 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear that, Traininthedistance. You understandably may not want to discuss this with strangers on an internet forum, but you should at least talk about it to people whom you know care about you. In my experience, talking to people about what makes us sad is the only way out.

Thanks.  Smiley  I am planning on doing so.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1070 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »

I'm a little worried about my cat.  He eats strange things such as plastic plants and red ribbon (the latter of which he threw up), and I recently had to chase him away from an electric wire he was chewing.

He hasn't been feeling as well recently.  I don't know if it's related to anything he's eaten, but I did catch him nibbling on ribbon earlier. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1071 on: August 14, 2014, 01:20:02 AM »

Sad Hopefully things turn around for your cat. Mine was in the vet for a couple nights and just got back today. She wasn't eating and had gotten pretty lethargic. Turns out she has pancreatitis. It's scary when your cat is 12 years old and you start having to confront the fact that she won't be around forever. I feel for ya.

Also, I'm bi.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1072 on: August 14, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »

About time. Sheesh.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1073 on: August 14, 2014, 01:24:43 AM »

I know, right.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1074 on: August 14, 2014, 02:04:20 AM »

You guys really oughta be more concerned about my cat.

Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies