Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:51:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128988 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »

I think I caught the flu... in August. I was tired all of yesterday and worked through a fever and runny nose today.

Sucks.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1026 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

Finally getting back to San Diego shortly.  My ship has been taking part in the RIMPAC exercise (this is all in the news, so I feel plenty comfortable talking about it here) out in Hawaii for the last couple of months.  It has certainly been a very telling and important experience for me, being underway on a Navy vessel for the first time. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1027 on: August 02, 2014, 03:24:48 AM »

I leave to go take the bar tomorrow. At this point, I'm so exhausted I am just happy it will be all over on Wednesday night one way or the other.

Oh man I'm just now seeing this but I hope you did well! Any idea how you did? How long does it take them to grade?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1028 on: August 02, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »

I have been across the entire state in three days, and boy do I have some tales to tell.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1029 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »

I'm recovering from a cold.  It was my first one in a while.  Fortunately, colds tend to not be too miserable once the sore throat of the first day is done, which has been the case with this one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1030 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

I have been across the entire state in three days, and boy do I have some tales to tell.

Well tell them, you old tease.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1031 on: August 04, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »

I have been out of town, just got back. Full update to come. Nothing extremely interesting, but I lived a full summer in one weekend.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1032 on: August 04, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »

I’ve been out of town from Thursday until today. On Thursday morning, I went up to my Aunts house in Vero to spend the weekend in Tallahassee. I spent the night there, and woke up at 4:00 AM with my Uncle (who works as a Trucker) to go to Orlando for a run. We arrived at the Winn-Dixie distribution plant at 7:00 AM, and when I went to the bathroom, I found a giant deuce in the urinal. Lovely. We got back to Vero at 1:00 PM, and as soon as my aunt (who is a home healthcare nurse) got off of work, we went up to Tallahassee.

The five hour drive was interesting. We saw a seven car pileup on the Turnpike going south (we were heading north, so it didn’t effect us) and an hour later we saw a car on fire. Right as we passed, the car exploded. The explosion wasn’t very big and fortunately everyone inside the car had been evacuated. We arrived at a truck stop to refill the gas tank, and my aunt and uncle went in to get something to eat. I wanted to have a cigarette, so I found a butt-out in the corner and was standing there when two obese fourteen year olds with the stupidest smiles on their face approached me and asked for me for “sat.” I told them I didn’t understand the question, and the one kid exclaimed “damnit, we just want to get some coke!” Seeing how suspicious I looked, I moved to the front of the building, finished what I was doing, and went inside to get a sub.

When we got to Tallahassee, all the hotels-litterally, everyone for miles-was filled as FSU and FAMU were having graduation this weekend, which we were unaware of. We eventually found a hotel in Quincy, a small town about forty miles west that was only a mile away from the Georgia border. We ate at a very nice bar/restaurant there and spent the night at a cheap motor lodge filled with drunken construction workers. The AC didn’t work, and the manager tried to fix it. He was very kind and brought us the fan from his personal room, and we slept well.

The next morning, we went into Tallahassee and toured the Old Capital Building. The new capital, which looks like a giant white penis, was closed. The tour was great, and it was interesting to see the butterfly ballots from the 2000 presidential election and the portraits of the governors. Jeb Bush’s gubernatorial portrait is awful-it looks like he took he just finished taking a big ‘ole gubernatorial dump. We spent the entire tour laughing about it.

We then toured the campus of Tallahassee Community College, where I will spend the first year or two of my college experience. It was very nice, and I actually feel pretty good about going there. They don’t have dorms, but cheap apartments are aplenty. The FSU campus is incredible. The stadium is massive, and all the buildings are red brick. We spent three or four hours there. I bought the “Philosophy of Bob Dylan” at the campus bookstore. The campus bulletin board was empty except for a flier that showed a rather large nude black woman on it, advertising a campus skinny dip. It was pretty funny. We ate at a soul food buffet that was incredible and left town because we ran out of things to do. So we decided to go to St. Augustine.

St. Augustine is half historic district and half Myrtle Beach. The town was flooded because of a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert, so again we had trouble finding a hotel. We eventually did, though traffic was a nightmare. My Aunt and Uncle frequently go to St. Augustine, and I’ve been there once, so the historic district was not very interesting. The fort is only interesting once, and “The Fountain of Youth” is a hideously dull tourist trap that I saw six years ago and never want to see again. So we decided to go to the Old Grist Mill, a bar and restaurant that plays live music and has good food. When we arrived, the bouncer refused to let me in since I’m only 18. This is of course understandable even though my Aunt and Uncle weren’t intending to let me drink, and I didn’t feel like it anyway. What set my Uncle off was the fact that a six year old was eating at the table behind us. The bouncer explained that the kid arrived before 8:30, even though it was only 8:35 PM when we arrived. My Uncle, who often worked as a bouncer in his WVU days tried to negotiate, and the guy became aggressive. We left and went to another bar, where the kitchen had already closed. So my Aunt and Uncle drank at the bar and got a nice buzz while I enjoyed some good live music.

We left and decided to grab a bite to eat. We first tried McDonalds. As soon as we approached the door, an employee locked it and flipped the closed sign. The drive through was open, and we decided it would be funny to walk through it. They still didn’t serve us. So we tried Pizza Hut. The employees at Pizza Hut were understanding, but they were closing up for the night and we left though they did offer us some coupons, which was decent of them. We also tried Dennys, which had a ninety minute wait. At this point, my Uncle started telling the hostess that “we started out of Oregon five days ago by wagon…..” He basically recounted the whole story of the Donner Party, and my Aunt and I almost shat ourselves from laughing. We then returned to the room and called the Dominos number that was on the hotel room key. It turns out the number was for a Dominos in Texarkana, Arkansas. My Uncle then called the McDonalds across the street to complain, mostly out of humor. Turns out he called a McDonalds in Atlanta, and the woman on the other line started giving him in the ebonics. He went from calm white man to angry black woman, and I could hear him outside where I was smoking. He threatened to “call da constable on ‘ya” which was hysterical. We finally ate some cold cans of soup that were in my aunts car and called it a night.

We returned to Vero yesterday at noon, and around five PM my Uncle and I went out to YeeHaw junction to do some hunting. After an hour and a half, a massive pig stumbled out of the woods and went towards the feeder. It took ten minutes to get the shot, but he did, and it fell over. As we got out of the blind and walked towards it, the pig sprang to life and hauled ass into the brush. As we made plans to track it, it again stumbled out (with a large head wound) right in front of us. My uncle shot it again, and we took back to Vero and cleaned it. Apparently it was his first hunting success in sixteen months (and my first ever, though I have made numerous unsuccessful trips before).

All in all, it was an incredibly busy weekend in which I’ll be talking about for a long time. My dad was busy this weekend too, visiting a car show in Carlyle, Pennsylvania and touring Philadelphia. He sent me a picture of the USS Constitution and I sent him back a picture of the skinny dipping flier. My brother is still in rehab, and my mom spent the weekend with several of her new friends (she quit drinking and started going to AA even though she didn’t have a problem out of solidarity with my brother). Definitely was the highlight of my summer, which has been pretty terrible so far. I haven’t felt this sense of happiness since I saw Bob Dylan last summer, and before that I haven’t been quite the same since the campaign ended.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #1033 on: August 04, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

I spent last week in the Boundary waters of MN.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1034 on: August 04, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »

That sounds fun; I love the area.

Did you run into any big animals?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #1035 on: August 04, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »

That sounds fun; I love the area.

Did you run into any big animals?
Just my fellow campers Tongue
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1036 on: August 04, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »

So, every year the local Republican Club gives out a few scholarships, and guess who handed them out this year....former Congressman Mark Foley Tongue. The irony is lost on them, apparently.

Did he creep on you?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: August 04, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »

So, every year the local Republican Club gives out a few scholarships, and guess who handed them out this year....former Congressman Mark Foley Tongue. The irony is lost on them, apparently.

Did he creep on you?
I didn't apply for the scholarship this year, but I met him once and he seemed normal. I was pretty creeped out by his history regardless.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1038 on: August 05, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

Just been diagnosed with Lyme disease... and I'm supposed to be on the road for college tomorrow.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1039 on: August 05, 2014, 08:16:07 PM »

Just been diagnosed with Lyme disease... and I'm supposed to be on the road for college tomorrow.

Damn, that sucks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1040 on: August 06, 2014, 02:59:29 AM »

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. My brother has Lyme's disease.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1041 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »

So my sister is engaged, and she will be getting married next September. Well the problem is the groom and his family wants a big wedding that will cost tens of thousands of dollars, and neither of them can afford a wedding that costs that much, so the family now wants to rent out a church, that alone costs $5000. Our family just wants them to have a small wedding in their backyard, because our view is that you don't need a fancy wedding, as long as you love the person you'll be good to go no matter how you get married. My aunt didn't even have a wedding, she went to court with her fiancee, brought both parents, and got married. Now my sister's fiancee's family is the spoiled rich kid type, most of them have not faced financial difficulty before in their lives, our family comes from working class roots, so many of us are raised that spending money is bad unless it's necessary, so a lot of us were shocked to hear that they wanted to have a big fancy wedding when we wanted a small one with a few guests that are close to the bride and the groom.

So how do we convince the groom and his family that they would be better off with a small wedding?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1042 on: August 06, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »

So my sister is engaged, and she will be getting married next September. Well the problem is the groom and his family wants a big wedding that will cost tens of thousands of dollars, and neither of them can afford a wedding that costs that much, so the family now wants to rent out a church, that alone costs $5000. Our family just wants them to have a small wedding in their backyard, because our view is that you don't need a fancy wedding, as long as you love the person you'll be good to go no matter how you get married. My aunt didn't even have a wedding, she went to court with her fiancee, brought both parents, and got married. Now my sister's fiancee's family is the spoiled rich kid type, most of them have not faced financial difficulty before in their lives, our family comes from working class roots, so many of us are raised that spending money is bad unless it's necessary, so a lot of us were shocked to hear that they wanted to have a big fancy wedding when we wanted a small one with a few guests that are close to the bride and the groom.

So how do we convince the groom and his family that they would be better off with a small wedding?

If their family wants a high-end wedding, why don't you just tell them that they're more than welcome to pay for it themselves if it's that big a deal to them?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1043 on: August 08, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »

Tried dealing with the finance/awards people at the university. These people are the worst and should be shot. Incompetent domkops.

I will be glad to take a break from this dump in a few months time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1044 on: August 08, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »

Tried dealing with the finance/awards people at the university. These people are the worst and should be shot. Incompetent domkops.

I will be glad to take a break from this dump in a few months time.

University bureaucracy is always useless. Mine had offices with silly opening hours (9AM to 11AM, Monday to Thusday) and loved to say than it wasn't their job and go to at another university office.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1045 on: August 08, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

I went up to get some things at the gas station on the corner, and I guess a family decided to let their six year old pump the gas. The kid decided he would try drinking it...the ambulence arrived at the same moment I walked in the door.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1046 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »

I went up to get some things at the gas station on the corner, and I guess a family decided to let their six year old pump the gas. The kid decided he would try drinking it...the ambulence arrived at the same moment I walked in the door.

Why would they let a six year old pump gas?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1047 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »

lol Florida
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1048 on: August 08, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »

Why would they let a six year old pump gas?
Don't know, but I often see other Haitian families allowing their younger kids to pump the gas at that station. The other kids never seem to swallow it unlike this little boy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1049 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:16 AM »

I think my antidepressants aren't working. I've felt really blue the past couple of days. I guess I always do but I'm getting into that tired, despondent state that I haven't been in in several months.

I'm wondering if there are any career opportunities for hermits - something like being the caretaker for an isolated English country house that no one ever goes to should be right up my alley. It gets awfully lonely when there are too many people around.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies