Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128847 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:50 PM »

I've made the decision to boycott Jeopardy! until the current champion is defeated.

Given how committed I am to that show, this is definitely a big enough change in my life to warrant being posted in this thread.

I'm sorry that you hate excellence and effort.

I don't advocate doing things poorly, but I do believe that it's possible to do something too well. Found between the two aforementioned extremes is the medium that is happiest for all.

So I assume that, for you, Ken Jennings was the worst Jeopardy contestant in history, and you would basically throw things at your TV in reaction to him steamrolling opponents for months on end, because he was too good.

My objection isn't to this guy winning - my objection is to him not playing the game the "right" way (which entails beginning at the top of a category and working one's way down the board).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #401 on: February 25, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »

I like how spazzy Chu is at hitting the buzzer.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #402 on: February 25, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »

I've made the decision to boycott Jeopardy! until the current champion is defeated.

Given how committed I am to that show, this is definitely a big enough change in my life to warrant being posted in this thread.

I don't advocate doing things poorly, but I do believe that it's possible to do something too well. Found between the two aforementioned extremes is the medium that is happiest for all.

So I assume that, for you, Ken Jennings was the worst Jeopardy contestant in history, and you would basically throw things at your TV in reaction to him steamrolling opponents for months on end, because he was too good.

My objection isn't to this guy winning - my objection is to him not playing the game the "right" way (which entails beginning at the top of a category and working one's way down the board).

Yeah, well that's a bulls**t objection and you should feel bad for having it.  If it's so important to do things the so-called "right" way, then they should change the rules- otherwise it would be crazy to not play to win the game, as the esteemed Herm Edwards would say, and besides, strategic innovation and variety is just what the game needs anyway.

I will note that the world's foremost authority on such matters agrees with Arthur and me:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, it's worth your time to read the full transcript of Jennings' interview, which he posted on his blog.  In particular, this idea of a "right" way to play is loaded with a lot of kinda ugly subtext that you may not consciously mean... but it's hard to avoid wondering, and it's hard to respect once you start wondering:

Quote from: Restricted
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »

I like how spazzy Chu is at hitting the buzzer.

They all mash the buzzer like that- and in fact are instructed to at the contestant orientation- he's just not great at hiding it behind the podium.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

[appeal to authority]

1. What Jennings did against Watson isn't really comparable to what Chu is doing now because Ken Jennings' Daily Double hunting was in reaction to the Daily Double hunting of one of his opponents. If someone were to use Chu's strategy against him in order to defeat him and then revert to playing the game my preferred way, I would voice no objection.

2. You and I seem to have a fundamental philosophical disagreement about how game shows should be played. You seem to believe that either a) Contestants have a responsibility to win games regardless of how their strategy is received by the audience or other contestants, or b) Watching a contestant succeed at a game should always be enjoyable for the audience. I find the Social Darwinist philosophy that underlies both of these assertions rather unpalatable, preferring that game show contestants compete in a way that is agreeable both to their fellows and to the audience.

My criticisms of this guy have nothing to do with his race or wanting an "average Joe" to win. To the contrary: I always root for the non-white contestants to spite the members of my family who are actually racist. I do root against contestants who have insufferable personalities, but Chu actually doesn't seem bad on that front - I just can't stand the way that the man plays the game.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »

...you people are serious about game shows.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:22 AM »

...you people are serious about game shows.

Context: Arthur is a friend of mine from college.  I went to his freaking wedding fer crissake.

So I'm kind of contractually obligated to come to his defense here.  (It helps that I do genuinely think what he's doing is good and worthy of defense, but I don't know that I'd be so emotionally invested in it otherwise.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »

Prefacing that I have no idea what you guys are talking about in the specifics, I'd tend to think Traininthedistance is right. If one is playing a game, they should do all they can to win it as long as they respect the rules.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

Finally got my paycheck. It apparently has both pay periods in it that they failed to pay me for, given that amount of hours on it (and that they're divided into two separate groups).
What was your job?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »

If more people go Daily Double hunting then the obvious response on the part of the producers is to no longer cluster them on the higher value answers as they currently do.  If every answer had the same chance of being the Daily Double then the scheme wouldn't be as useful.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »

Finally got my paycheck. It apparently has both pay periods in it that they failed to pay me for, given that amount of hours on it (and that they're divided into two separate groups).
What was your job?

I still work where I got the paycheck from. The "Athletics" department at my school, which basically means we, in part, help maintain the athletic facilities. This includes transporting the mounds upon mounds of cardboard waste we generate over to "Facility Operations" which contains the dumpsters, moving bike racks which we use to help steer traffic into the parking lots, setting up and taking down basketball hoops used for practice, and pretending to be a quasi-security force among other things.
And do you like it?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »

Oh yeah, I found my coop internship for the summer. Pretty cool.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »

I was feeling a bit tuckered, so I decided to have a little nap which I just woke up from.  Had the most weirdest dream I can ever recall.  I was accompanying an investigative journalist as we snuck into Vladimir Putin's apartment for a looksee while he was out. (Maybe he was down in Sochi, but why he was out and where the guards were during all this wasn't included in the dream.) Nothing too wild, but one of the TV's in one of the many guest rooms had on a pirated version of NATO television set to channel 10 - Canadian Armed Forces.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #413 on: March 01, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »

Translating some novel for girls.

I need money Sad
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

I got into the Master of Theological Studies program at Boston University School of Theology.

The problems to which I alluded in my last post in this thread have mostly subsided, to be replaced by new but less severe problems.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #415 on: March 02, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »

Last night was law school prom night, and I took this girl I knew briefly because I didn't really know who else to ask.

She had claimed that she just broke up with her boyfriend and was newly single, and my friend told me she liked me and I had a shot with her last night. So we went out and had a good time at the dance, but my friends and I got pretty sloppy drunk at points during the night, which didn't bode well for me.

We went to the bars afterwards and her BOYFRIEND shows up and stands there awkwardly staring at us at the bar, and she gets pissed off and leaves to go home early after we all took a cab back to my friends house. It was just the worst. I doubt I want to get involved in that or see her again.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #416 on: March 02, 2014, 03:48:28 AM »

A girl in one of my classes gave me her number last week.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #417 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »

A girl in one of my classes gave me her number last week.
Sawx the womanizer Tongue.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #418 on: March 02, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »

Translating some novel for girls.

I need money Sad

You have more money than girls.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #419 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »

So I will finally be off of hold and in class starting this week, thus the countdown to the end of my stay in Illinois is on.  I suspect that I will heading to my permanent duty station in Virginia around the middle of June. 

Truly can not wait to get back east.  Warmer, near the beach, and a mere 4 hour drive up the coast to home in NJ.  Very feasible to take a small vacation back to the Dirty Jerz on long weekends. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #420 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:52 AM »

I met a girl online today who said she really likes mountains.  Do you think it would impress her if I told her I pioneered legislation that banned mountaintop removal mining in Atlasia?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #421 on: March 04, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »

I met a girl online today who said she really likes mountains.  Do you think it would impress her if I told her I pioneered legislation that banned mountaintop removal mining in Atlasia?

Whoa, there, champ. Boasts like that make a woman so hot and wet that devastating hurricanes tend to develop months later. We don't want the eastern seaboard underwater again, do we?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #422 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:02 AM »

if you're having girl problems, just ask yourself: W.W.R.P.D.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #423 on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »

This can't be serious.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #424 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »

This can't be serious.

I don't know if it says more about me or the forum that I genuinely can't tell.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies