Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128910 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

And I'm okay with that (I was never all that interested in the community college in the first place!), but I've been trying to occupy myself now that I'm out of high school, and I'm stuck.  Even though I'm an active member of my church now (I go there at least three times a week for one reason or another), I feel totally discombobulated and aimless.  I tried starting my own blog to write on religious issues, which I am passionate about, but my plans for a routinely updated journal fell completely apart.  Why?  One, because my knowledge on theology is basically s**t even though I've been studying it for a few years.  And two, because I suck at conveying my thoughts on topics that I have mere layman's knowledge on.  There are people my age who have accomplished way more in life than I have, and it bothers me.

I've tried writing a book on religion a number of times as a way of expressing my passion for it, but I can't even put together a decent outline.  The more I realize how ignorant I am on these issues, the more discouraged I am to actually write it... at least before college.  So now I'm kind of stuck.  Should I try writing the thing and risk sounding like an idiot pretending to know more than I do, or should I continue lolling about and not even think about it until I graduate from college?  I feel like I'll be unsatisfied no matter what I do.

I guess you could try just writing down your thoughts so far as you can, but not with the expectation that they'd be in publishable form (at least as a book) until you've learned a lot more, and try to see where the greatest gaps are in your knowledge and find some introductory texts in those areas.  If you have a project you can work on that can be a very good thing during a transitional "down" time, though I know well that it can be hard to stay motivated.   

Indeed, I do something like that already.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »

yeah Scott you're holding yourself to too high of a standard, to a PhD standard when you've yet to enter college.  and you'd find that most people writing at that level don't necessarily know much about a lot that ends up in their works: they have teams of research-slaves working for them.  presumably you don't.  shua's advice is good.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 01:36:13 AM »

Just got back from a concert. It was hectic.

Basically I saw Tech N9ne and his crew at a small venue 15 minutes away from my college. Met a few cool people there and enjoyed the music. Also saw a friend there. Would gladly go again.

I'd tell you all about more but I'm about to go to bed. Night guys.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »

That is very good advice.  Like I said, I've already taken to writing things down (mostly outlines), and I'm sure what I've written will be useful in the future, but I think I'll hold off on writing publishable books and things like that until I'm at least somewhat comfortable with what I know on the subject.  I'll have plenty of time to organize my thoughts in college, anyway.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

That is very good advice.  Like I said, I've already taken to writing things down (mostly outlines), and I'm sure what I've written will be useful in the future, but I think I'll hold off on writing publishable books and things like that until I'm at least somewhat comfortable with what I know on the subject.  I'll have plenty of time to organize my thoughts in college, anyway.

also the simple fact that you're concerned with this stuff at age 17-18 instead of alcohol, weed, women, GTA V, etc. puts you ahead of ~98% of the white male population.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

Last night was a trainwreck, and I'm glad I diverted it.

Long story short, after the concert my best friend (Bestie) and I went to, my friend from New Jersey (from now on he's NJG) has been staying down here since Wednesday night. That night NJG stayed with Bestie because I had class. He slept all day because of the concert hangover and then decided to stay with me. Thursday was really uneventful. Friday wasn't bad: we went 30 minutes for wings. Waitress vibed with me, but she should really know better than to flirt with a broke-ass college kid for tips. I pass on it. Friday we don't go to party because I'm not in the mood, but we go to Wawa and have a midnight snack. For those of you who aren't in the Mid-Atlantic, Wawa is a convenience store, but clean and with good food.

But Saturday. Oh dear god, Saturday. I begrudgingly go out even though I'd rather stay in with a few friends, but there are too many people at my usual place. Bestie is pissed. NJG is kind of chill about it, so I text a different girl. She tries her best to get me into that party, but cops are right outside. But on the way, my best friend embarrasses me in front of all my friends. I'd rather not get into what she said, but it was basically to the point of "Sawx is posing for you guys." Now at this point I'm angry and trying my hardest not to lose control. I'm speechless throughout the rest of my car ride. Then, when I get to the dorm, she calls me a poser again. Boom.

If you know anything about me, it's that I have a high threshold for anger, but if you break it, I get explosively angry. I basically tell her off in front of the dorm for embarrassing me, trying my hardest not to make a scene in front of the whole dorm. She's about to break down in tears, and when I finally realize she's about to cry I leave the group to calm down. My friends are in my room, so I just smoke with them and we stop being mad at my best friend for the time being.

While I'm high, NJG is trying to calm her down, but it's not happening. I go up to tell NJG and the rest of my friends that I'll be in my room calming down. She looks like a wreck, basically telling her life story, all that jazz. Now, poor NJG is trying to talk to this other girl who he's trying to get with... but my best friend is still screaming about how apparently not being 100% straightedge means I'm trying to pose for my friends. He gets sick of it and decides to go back to New Jersey early because he can't get into my room.

I wake up, tell her how I feel straight up.Mama Sawx calls. I start talking to her about it. I go around the dorm, and people are pissed.

tl;dr: my straightedge best friend tries to say I'm only not being straightedge because I'm posing. I get pissed to the point where she's crying/almost crying. I calm down, only to wake up next day to find that the entire dorm is pissed at her.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 08:12:03 PM »

Went to a local bands music video shoot at the request of a friend. A bunch of goth/emos were there, and I had nothing in common with them accept for this guy who loved Bob Dylan. My friend showed up late, I milled around a bit, but the director was in a pissy mood and didn't like all the spectators, so I smoked a ciggarette on the roof and left.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »

Hey everyone,

Sorry I havent been postin much lately. I've had a bug this weekend thats kept me in bed for most of these last days. I just went to the doctor and, thankfully, its not the flu but I do have a virus. He told me to stay home from class for at least the next 3-4 days. Hopefully, it will have run its course by then.

As ususal, thoughts/prayers would not go unappreicated.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »

155 on the LSAT. Maybe I need to find something else to do with my life.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »

155 on the LSAT. Maybe I need to find something else to do with my life.

you shouldn't go to law school anyway, but with falling admission standards 155 should get you in somewhere in the top 50.  or even top 30.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 05:19:08 AM »

So while I was at work today my ..uh, step-father-in-law, happened upon a little furball on the street. He sort of nudged it with his foot and it gave a little squeek. It was a newborn kitten. He tried to find its mother for a half hour to no avail, so he brought it home. When I say newborn kitten, I mean it.. it was probably born last night. Umbilical cord still was attached and everything.

So they managed to give the cold little kitty some warmth and a little bit of milk and he perked up and began squeeking. After a few calls they found some volunteers who take in cats until they can be put up for adoption. We passed the cat on to one of them who knew someone else whose cat just had a litter. So she/he is being adopted by that cat until he grows up a bit more. And then, he'll be ours Smiley

That's if he/she makes it. It's hard to say so early on. They did find the original mother cat and her owner. The owner had stray cats running around everywhere and didn't even know one of his cats was pregnant. So they decided that giving it back was a waste of time.

I'm not altogether happy about getting a new cat so quickly after losing our last one. But, as my partner said, it was pure chance and we probably saved his life. So, good news Smiley
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 05:19:58 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2013, 05:21:38 AM by Tik: Born a FF, Identify as a HP »

By the way if anyone has any ideas for a name, please share. Weird names especially.

Oh and if my story made you want to squee then this video is really similar to what happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4eA6V8o9k (except with a slightly less hilarious accent. I keep hearing this guy saying "So my buddy found this cat and I was like, eh, bring it over to my place. And then I shot 'im."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »

It turns out that a woman missing in our area is the mother of one of my cousins friends. A body has been found, but they are waiting for identification. Pretty awful stuff.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »

Everyone's out having fun and I'm sitting in my room watching election results.

How Atlas of me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »

Don't go to law school unless you hate your life.

Also, I have started talking to a greek girl.... someone talk me out of this. I know better.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »

Also, I have started talking to a greek girl.... someone talk me out of this. I know better.

Dukey, trust your fellow Greek....NOOOOOOOOOOO.  They all have megalos kolos and megalo stoma and they get bigger with age.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »

Dukey, trust your fellow Greek....NOOOOOOOOOOO.  They all have megalos kolos and megalo stoma and they get bigger with age.

I know. I would say this could be a hit it and quit it deal, but we all know that never works with greek girls.

She's a cocktail waitress at this bourbon bar I go to... she's sweet and already wants to teach me how to speak greek, but I know my sister and family and she will turnout to be horrible. I am trying to resist.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »

I know. I would say this could be a hit it and quit it deal, but we all know that never works with greek girls.

She's a cocktail waitress at this bourbon bar I go to... she's sweet and already wants to teach me how to speak greek, but I know my sister and family and she will turnout to be horrible. I am trying to resist.

She'll be your mom, sister and yiaya combined. Resist!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »

So I'm probably moving to Los Angeles.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »

Reminds me of something my cousin said about going into law: "You'll make all the money you'll need, but don't do it."  Is working toward a legal career really that dull?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »

I need to go to college I think but I don't know for what.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »

So I'm probably moving to Los Angeles.
Why?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 09:49:53 AM »

Reminds me of something my cousin said about going into law: "You'll make all the money you'll need, but don't do it."  Is working toward a legal career really that dull?

Yes. Parts of it are interesting. I quite enjoyed writing my paper on the positives and negatives of overseas corporate taxation, but most of it is mind numbing and paperwork. At least that's what many young associates do.

She'll be your mom, sister and yiaya combined. Resist!

She already is acting like that...she's telling me I have to be patient when learning Greek but she knows I won't be because "Greek guys are all impatient."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

She already is acting like that...she's telling me I have to be patient when learning Greek but she knows I won't be because "Greek guys are all impatient."

Well if you impatiently try and get in her pants we can't help you, and  you're on your own.  Find a new bourbon bar or a new cocktail waitress.  Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »

Well if you impatiently try and get in her pants we can't help you, and  you're on your own.  Find a new bourbon bar or a new cocktail waitress.  Wink

No, after the last one I need to be careful. And if I rushed into her pants, she'd never go away. You know how Greek girls are...I'd have her whole family after me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies