Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:37:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 57
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 128844 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:05:16 AM »
« edited: October 05, 2014, 12:51:09 AM by Tik's Palatial Regalia »

I couldn't find the last thread (I didn't try very hard) and wanted to post about my last few days. I'd also like to hear about your last few days, sweetie. I'll make some popcorn. My update is not altogether pleasant, just a forewarning.

Yesterday I had to leave work early after getting a distressed call from my partner. Our beloved cat has been unwell and it was time for him to pass on. One last cuddle and a few teary goodbyes, and he was put to sleep. I'll never forget that. We stayed in the room with him as it happened (is that weird?) and he gave the most haunting baoow.. ugh. We spent the rest of the day crying off and on.

And then today after work on the drive home I was overtaken by two cars after a red light, both driven by young guys. The second guy was tailgating the first, waving his arms around. They pulled ahead, then the second guy swerved into the passing lane and began tailgating someone just ahead of the first guy. Suddenly he slams into the side of the first guy, pulls away slightly, and does it again. The guy getting slammed into it was shoved off the road and began spinning out, barely missing a line of trees. I was horrified. I pulled off the road and, shaking, made my way towards the car, meeting a few others who witnessed it. The guy was alright, though his car was totaled. No one called the police. The kid was unlicensed and unregistered. The other guy drove off.

And after I got home and told my partner the story, she surprised me with flowers and tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel later next month, and I felt better.

The end Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

I'm so sorry about your cat. I lost the big old Maine coon mix who had been my companion since the age of four this past summer. It still hurts. So I know how you feel.

And what a freaking asshole. Super-aggressive drivers are the worst.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

Is it the height of irony that Cracker Barrell and the American Heart Association are two of the ads on my fb newsfeed page?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

Tik, sorry about your cat.  I had to put my pup of 13 years down in July....the house is so empty without her, so I know how you're feeling.  And I was there in the vet's office when he gave her the shot.  No it's not weird, just absolutely godawful.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

Sorry about your cat, TiK. Glad your day got better towards the end Smiley

Anyway, I had my first car "accident" today. As I was backing out (trying to avoid hitting my friend, who was leaving behind me) I hit the van next to me. Despite hitting it fairly hard, I got out and saw that there was not a single spot that looked damaged. A tiny paint chip was missing near the bumper, but I don't think that was where I hit. My car had do damage either. I waited around for the owner to return, and it was a mother with her five children (ranging from a High School senior to a three year old). We talked for a bit, I repeatedly apologized, and she said was very pleasant and said that it was not worth even taking down information. So I am glad that it wasn't any worse.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »

I'll fill in more about my break after this weekend is over, but right now I'm sitting on the train across from a guy who looks exactly like Slavoj Zizek minus 30 years. Like, exactly. And he keeps rubbing brushing his hair out of his face in that same kinda "I need something to do with my hands while I'm talking" way. P crazy Curly
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. It is sad to sit around the house so we've been going out to distract ourselves a lot. Life goes on.

Fender benders like that scare me, Sanchez. I'm always afraid when it's my fault that the other person will fly off the handle. Luckily cars seem pretty resilient to bumps these days and most people are kind and understanding.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. It is sad to sit around the house so we've been going out to distract ourselves a lot. Life goes on.

Fender benders like that scare me, Sanchez. I'm always afraid when it's my fault that the other person will fly off the handle. Luckily cars seem pretty resilient to bumps these days and most people are kind and understanding.

Tik; my apologies. My childhood cat died when I was 17 just days after I came out to my family. I spent hours with the little crazy each day. Lubo, our new cat is now 11 and that time may come soon.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »

My dog died right after I graduated college in 2011. It was really hard for a while, but she had lung cancer, so I looked at it as she was no longer in any pain. But yeah, we miss our animals because they very much become part of our families.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »

Is eating a lot of cough drops dangerous? Is there medicine in them or is it just minty not that sweet candy?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

Is eating a lot of cough drops dangerous? Is there medicine in them or is it just minty not that sweet candy?

All I know is, I can't take cough drops.  They have some kind of interaction with my Parkinsons disease medications.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »

There's usually menthol or something like that. I don't think that that would be dangerous, really. If it were, it would probably indicate so on the packet.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »

There's usually menthol or something like that. I don't think that that would be dangerous, really. If it were, it would probably indicate so on the packet.

It is possible to overdose on menthol, but in order to do that with cough drops, you'd need to literally ingest thousands of cough drops at one time, which is impractical.  Several 6 oz jars of Vicks VapoRub might do the trick if ingested because the menthol in it is far more concentrated than in cough drops.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:48 AM »

What is the meaning of life? Have you tried a corn dog? Have you seen an orange alligator? Can you direct me to the nearest apple tree?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 03:31:07 AM »

It is possible to overdose on menthol, but in order to do that with cough drops, you'd need to literally ingest thousands of cough drops at one time, which is impractical.  Several 6 oz jars of Vicks VapoRub might do the trick if ingested because the menthol in it is far more concentrated than in cough drops.

I'm fairly certain you can buy concentrated menthol, actually. I was told by a fellow smoker that you can buy it to spray on fresh tobacco then put it in the freezer to roll your own menthol cigarettes. So you could probably just drink that. Why the hell are we talking about this?
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 06:31:06 AM »

Sorbitol is used to sweeten many cough drops and may produce a light laxative effect. That's the only thing I can think of off hand. Less dangerous than it is annoying, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »

I had a happy ending tonight!  Its usually not my style with all the full service available about, but its the second time I had a massage from this girl, and she's a really nice one: polite, slim, youngish (maybe 23-24?) with 'white skin'. 

I got her number, may propose hotel meeting for more involved session next time.  Did you fellows know that 'white skin' is prized among Thais and in fact most Southeast Asians?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »

My sympathies to you, TiK.  Your story brings me back to when my last dog was in her last days.  It's never easy to lose a pet, especially one you've known for a really long time.  Pets take a piece of you when they pass on, and all you can do is let time heal and wait for the beginning of a new chapter in your life.

So, I didn't know where else to rant about this.  It's not something I talk about much at all, even to my own mother, but I guess I'll vent my emotions here... though I don't expect anyone here to completely understand.  But here it goes.

Shortly before my dad passed away, I had planned on going to a certain community college near my area here in CT.  Long story short: my mom and I have been left with a multitude of financial problems and we have to move by next spring or else we'll be foreclosed on.  So obviously, I'm not going to the community college in CT that I had planned on going to, and I have to find a college in another state.

And I'm okay with that (I was never all that interested in the community college in the first place!), but I've been trying to occupy myself now that I'm out of high school, and I'm stuck.  Even though I'm an active member of my church now (I go there at least three times a week for one reason or another), I feel totally discombobulated and aimless.  I tried starting my own blog to write on religious issues, which I am passionate about, but my plans for a routinely updated journal fell completely apart.  Why?  One, because my knowledge on theology is basically s**t even though I've been studying it for a few years.  And two, because I suck at conveying my thoughts on topics that I have mere layman's knowledge on.  There are people my age who have accomplished way more in life than I have, and it bothers me.

I've tried writing a book on religion a number of times as a way of expressing my passion for it, but I can't even put together a decent outline.  The more I realize how ignorant I am on these issues, the more discouraged I am to actually write it... at least before college.  So now I'm kind of stuck.  Should I try writing the thing and risk sounding like an idiot pretending to know more than I do, or should I continue lolling about and not even think about it until I graduate from college?  I feel like I'll be unsatisfied no matter what I do.

So basically, I'm tired of being upset with everything, and I'm mad at myself for not knowing how to change it.  I know most people here aren't religious and probably can't even remotely to relate to this kind of problem, but that's pretty much where I'm at right now.  And frankly, it sucks.

I'm not fishing for compliments or pity parties or anything... I just felt the need to get it all out there.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »

So, yeah, I'm back at school, break over. It was pretty fun, a little less than I expected it to be but to be honest nothing is ever as good as you anticipate it to be. Feeling...mediocreish now, not really happy or sad. There was a street musician playing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as I left to come back, and he got it stuck in my head. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need"...

iunno, I still can't say I'm a fan of this whole "life" thing, still kinda lonely even if I have friends, dealing with college and depression and stuffs sucks, I'm still struggling like hell just to keep a B-/C+ average, etc etc...but yeah, life is tolerable at least, none of it really matters so there's no good reason to worry and stress out, and I still feel like it's better than killing myself, at least for the time being, which is really the only big question isn't it? Curly

/rambling
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »

Also, was reallyy high last night, decided to order pizza hut, proceeded to eat an entire giant pizza plus cheesy breadsticks. Stoned me considered this a great idea. Of course I woke up this morning feeling like my stomach was going to explode. I haven't even eaten anything today because my stomach has been f**king killing me, toooo much junk food. Def not a good idea in retrospect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »

I'm in Korea for work, staying in a nice hotel with computer and many amenities, including a wonderful robotic toilet, all for free, with free meals, flight, and they even payed me a token $200 for the 'work'.  The good life.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »

I'm in Korea for work, staying in a nice hotel with computer and many amenities, including a wonderful robotic toilet, all for free, with free meals, flight, and they even payed me a token $200 for the 'work'.  The good life.

be sure to update the Dinner thread once or twice.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »

Scott, for what it's worth, I often have feelings similar to the ones that you're experiencing right now. I don't have any advice for improving your situation (I can't even improve my own), but I thought that it might make you feel better to know that you aren't the only one who feels like you do.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »

This is my first time posting in one of these threads, so it feels slightly funny.

Tik, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Sad  I grew up with two cats, both now gone; it was very sad when we had to put them to sleep.  I now have a very nice cat, and it will be not be easy when he goes.

I wish the best to you too, Scott.  You still have a clearer idea of what you are going to do in your future than what I had at your age, although I've never had the same financial difficulties.  I hope things turn out OK for you and your mom.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

And I'm okay with that (I was never all that interested in the community college in the first place!), but I've been trying to occupy myself now that I'm out of high school, and I'm stuck.  Even though I'm an active member of my church now (I go there at least three times a week for one reason or another), I feel totally discombobulated and aimless.  I tried starting my own blog to write on religious issues, which I am passionate about, but my plans for a routinely updated journal fell completely apart.  Why?  One, because my knowledge on theology is basically s**t even though I've been studying it for a few years.  And two, because I suck at conveying my thoughts on topics that I have mere layman's knowledge on.  There are people my age who have accomplished way more in life than I have, and it bothers me.

I've tried writing a book on religion a number of times as a way of expressing my passion for it, but I can't even put together a decent outline.  The more I realize how ignorant I am on these issues, the more discouraged I am to actually write it... at least before college.  So now I'm kind of stuck.  Should I try writing the thing and risk sounding like an idiot pretending to know more than I do, or should I continue lolling about and not even think about it until I graduate from college?  I feel like I'll be unsatisfied no matter what I do.

I guess you could try just writing down your thoughts so far as you can, but not with the expectation that they'd be in publishable form (at least as a book) until you've learned a lot more, and try to see where the greatest gaps are in your knowledge and find some introductory texts in those areas.  If you have a project you can work on that can be a very good thing during a transitional "down" time, though I know well that it can be hard to stay motivated.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies