Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:05:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone II - Less Boring, More Whoring  (Read 129523 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »

Apparently the neighbours think me and Michael are too noisy during certain activities :/

Playing a rousing game of Chess?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »

That's very good, afleitch. Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »

Just finished my final law school exam. It's over.

Good to hear, Duke! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Nathan, I obviously do not know the person you spoke with today nor do I know about your relationship to him or her, and I don't know how much you are willing to share with others, but if anything, I think you should talk to someone.  Anyone.  I'll probably be online for the next hour or so, so don't hesitate to message me if you would like to discuss this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »

I decided to tell my crush that I really liked him and long story short, I'm in a relationship Smiley

Aw, well congratulations, Flo! Smiley
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »

Just a quick update, since I don't like talking about my personal life here much anymore...

I'm done with the Ambien for good as of today.  For some reason my reactions to the medication have become more severe than usual and that's why I ended up hallucinating big time last night.  I apologize for the scare I gave anyone and I promise that is the absolute last you'll see of me in that state.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:42 AM »

I'm going to the first lecture to which I've been invited as a(n incoming) divinity school student tomorrow, although technically it's being held at another institution within the same regional consortium as mine.

Remind me which divinity school you were accepted to, again?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »

I'm going to the first lecture to which I've been invited as a(n incoming) divinity school student tomorrow, although technically it's being held at another institution within the same regional consortium as mine.

Remind me which divinity school you were accepted to, again?

BU School of Theology. The lecture was at BC.

Ah, a UMC school.  Interesting choice.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

Just been diagnosed with Lyme disease... and I'm supposed to be on the road for college tomorrow.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »

My Lyme disease is pretty much cleared up now and I'm steadily regaining full internet access.  (I'm writing this from a hotel in NC.)

Oh, and if anyone happens to be in Archdale and wants to meet for coffee or something, f**king hit me up for it so I can get out of this boring hellhole. Tongue

Sad Hopefully things turn around for your cat. Mine was in the vet for a couple nights and just got back today. She wasn't eating and had gotten pretty lethargic. Turns out she has pancreatitis. It's scary when your cat is 12 years old and you start having to confront the fact that she won't be around forever. I feel for ya.

Prayers for your cat.  I don't know much about pancreatitis, but I'll certainly hope for the best. Sad

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Did you just discover this, or are you coming out now?

(I'm mostly curious because you were against SSM not too long ago... Tongue)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »

My Lyme disease is pretty much cleared up now and I'm steadily regaining full internet access.  (I'm writing this from a hotel in NC.)
I read on FB that you were not only hacked but also wiretapped!! How did that come about, if you don't mind me asking?

Well, my mom called Virgin Mobile when we were at a hotel in VA a few days ago.  According to the operator, this hack was unlike "anything he'd seen before," and that it was so severe it's more accurately classified as a wiretap.  (No, the NSA isn't on our tail, fortunately, but the bastard pulling this s**t on us isn't just some kid learning hacking tricks in his parents' basement.)

Oh yeah, and we got our identities stolen, too.  My mom needs to get new banking information and we both need to get new Social Security numbers.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

I read on FB that you were not only hacked but also wiretapped!! How did that come about, if you don't mind me asking?

Well, my mom called Virgin Mobile when we were at a hotel in VA a few days ago.  According to the operator, this hack was unlike "anything he'd seen before," and that it was so severe it's more accurately classified as a wiretap.  (No, the NSA isn't on our tail, fortunately, but the bastard pulling this s**t on us isn't just some kid learning hacking tricks in his parents' basement.)

Oh yeah, and we got our identities stolen, too.  My mom needs to get new banking information and we both need to get new Social Security numbers.

Scott, I am so sorry. Maybe this isn't the right thing to say, but gosh... I can't think of anyone who has had worse luck. We're all on your side, and hopefully everything you're dealing with will eventually resolve itself. If you need anything or wanna talk, let me know.

Thanks, Hagrid.  My mom and I certainly wouldn't disagree with you on that.  Everything's going to turn out okay eventually, but things certainly aren't pretty right now.  The only reason I'm able to even explain this stuff now is because I'm on a computer that didn't come in contact with our cell phones or laptops.  Apparently, viruses can be transmitted through WiFi and Bluetooth.  Who knew!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

Congratulations on your new transition, Nathan.  Rest assured, I, of course, will address you the way you prefer to be.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »

Pretty great first week of college.  My roommate and I are pretty much polar opposites (he’s a gangsta-type jock from some hood in Charleston, SC whereas I’m the quiet, spiritual type with pictures of Jesus all over my part of the dorm), but we get along great and trust each other, so I really can’t complain (even though I do get annoyed when I hear the n-word being used in every sentence when he has his buddies over).  I’m a lot friendlier with the two guys in the dorm next to ours.  Late last night we were all up and happened to run into each other in the hall and there was a punk-type girl sitting beside them.  She’s actually really sweet and religious (she identifies as Methodist) and we spoke for a while about religion and sexuality and gender identity and the whole nine yards.  I told her that the campus chaplain invited me and some folks to a service at a nearby church Sunday morning and that she should come along.

Also, I’m genderfluid.  I told my new pals that and they were cool with it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Scott is "gender fluid"? What does that mean?

I suppose it is a perequisite to becoming a white heterosexual liberal Christian minister...

It basically means you fluctuate between genders on certain days or certain times of the day.  That's really all it means.

I'm kind of hoping no one would be a dick about this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

Oh yes, and I fully expect the 'racist' accusations to pop up any minute now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

Scott is "gender fluid"? What does that mean?

I suppose it is a perequisite to becoming a white heterosexual liberal Christian minister...

It basically means you fluctuate between genders on certain days or certain times of the day.  That's really all it means.

I'm kind of hoping no one would be a dick about this.

I just utterly fail to comprehend it. No offense meant.

I misunderstood, then.  I thought you used the second part of the post to take a jab at me or something.

I get how people wouldn't understand it, though.  I had a hard time explaining it to two of my closest friends who helped get me to accept it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »

Ugh... I can't even imagine.  I'm sorry, Hagrid.  Sad
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »

Also, my heart goes out to you, Sanchez, Grumps, and Hagrid.  I'm sorry to hear all the bad news this weekend.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »

I'm not trying to be antagonistic at all here, but if your roommate is black, please say it directly. There's nothing wrong with pointing it out; black people and white people are different culturally. On the other hand, it is wrong to use racially coded language to imply that he's black ("gangsta", "hood"), so don't do that. If he's not black, then it just sounds odd to use those words.

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

Come on Scott, you don't see how describing your black roommate as "gangsta" and "from the hood" might make people a little uncomfortable? I'm not saying you were being consciously malicious but that kind of language is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone associated "gangsta"/"hood" with the idea that your roommate might be anything other than black, expressed in a strange wink, nudge manner.

Simply saying "black" or "white" doesn't tell you anything about a person's personality.  I was purposely trying to avoid linking his race with his persona and interests, but I see that that, as expected, came out completely wrong.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »

Just throwing this out there, but I'd never be able to have a roommate. Even if he was a decent guy and not one of the 100 kinds of assholes that you find in college, I probably wouldn't be able to cohabit with a complete stranger in such a small space. I really need my privacy.

Aren't you still in college?  Do they let you opt out of having a roommate or something?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »

I'd like to emphasize that my intention was to describe his personality more than his physical appearance, since I apparently hadn't made that clear already.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:10:30 PM by Emperor Scott »

I take issue with your statement that "black people and white people are different culturally."  That's a broad generalization.  Yes, he happens to be black.  Yes, he happens to enjoy rap and hip hop.  We'd be just as different from each other if he were white or I were black.  And for the record, I would've used the same language despite his race -- it doesn't sound odd to me if used in that context, personally.

No, you would not ever describe a white neighborhood as a "hood". Don't lie. I made an effort to assume good faith, but it's clear that you don't even understand what the problem is.

None of us are perfect in the language that we use, but thoughtful people pay attention when they use offensive language and agree not to use offensive language in the future. Don't pretend that what you said wasn't racist. You clearly anticipated the fact that people would call you out on it:

Maybe instead of being preemptively defensive about the racist things you said, you could try not saying racist things. If for whatever reason you can't understand why it's not okay to describe black people or their communities with the terms "gangsta" or "hood", then don't worry about it. You don't need to understand if it's too difficult. Just don't use those words.

And here you continue to operate under the assumption that the objective of my comments was to illustrate my dorm mate's race rather than his own personality and individual sense of style.  What's truly racist is that you apparently like to project this standard for "white neighborhoods" versus "black neighborhoods" even though nothing in my post inferred anything about that.  Remember, it is you who specifically expressed that "black people and white people are different culturally."  You choose to view society through that set of lens.  I don't.

I would ask you to just stop interjecting race into the conversation in what I see as a pathetic attempt to veil your own racism, but then that would defeat the point of your accusations entirely.  So I'll leave you to wallow in your own delusions and think what ever you want about me until you come to realize the irony in your words.  Sound good?
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies