Senate votes on Supreme Court nominations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Senate votes on Supreme Court nominations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate votes on Supreme Court nominations  (Read 2562 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 18, 2017, 12:25:45 AM »

We have such deep divisions over the confirmation of the Supreme Court Justices because of these reasons: 1) the Supreme Court itself is too political, far too often basing its decisions on the personal values of the Justices themselves; 2) the Presidents keep picking people for appointment based on ideological reasons; 3) the Senators expect the Presidents to keep doing #2.
What is the Supreme Court supposed to be, ideally? It is supposed to be the nine most highly objective interpreters of law that can be found anywhere in the country. Consider what G.W. Bush said about 12 and a half years ago, at the Oct, 8, 2004 televised presidential debate between Bush and Sen. Kerry.
The debate moderator asked, "Mr. President, if there were a vacancy on the Supreme Court and you had the opportunity to fill that position today, who would you choose and why?"
Bush's response began with, "I would pick somebody who would not allow their personal opinion to get in the way of the law. I would pick somebody who would strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States." He last remark (after rambling a bit) was, "No litmus test except for how they interpret the Constitution."
Those words were, to me, clearly correct, however Bush himself had no credibility on that topic because of the fact that he had already been known to say that Justices Scalia and Thomas were his favorite Supreme Court Justices.
We don't need more Justices like Scalia and Thomas, nor more Justices like Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan. We need more Justices like Oliver Wendell Holmes, Benjamin Cardozo, and Hugo Black. I think if people like them were nominated, then the Senate would confirm them without controversy.

I doubt it. If Trump's next appointment was the another Hugo Black, he'd get voted down close to unanimously. Neither the people who voted for Trump nor the people who voted for Clinton would find him acceptable.

One only need look at what happened to Merrick Garland.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies