PPP dumps 7 Senate polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:28:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  PPP dumps 7 Senate polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPP dumps 7 Senate polls  (Read 4448 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »

6 of them were conducted for "Americans United for Change", while the SD poll as done for "People for Weiland".

AR:

Mark Pryor ...................................................... 44%
Tom Cotton ..................................................... 41%

GA:

Michelle Nunn ................................................. 42%
Republican opponent ...................................... 42%

IA:

Bruce Braley ................................................... 45%
Republican opponent ...................................... 41%

LA:

Mary Landrieu................................................. 48%
Bill Cassidy ..................................................... 41%

MI:

Gary Peters..................................................... 43%
Terri Lynn Land ............................................... 36%

NC:

Kay Hagan...................................................... 47%

All of these polls were conducted among registered voters on October 14th and 15th on
behalf of Americans United for Change. 955 were interviewed in Arkansas with a margin
error of +/-3.2%. 707 were interviewed in Georgia with a margin error of +/-3.7%. 634
were interviewed in Iowa with a margin error of +/-3.9%. 632 were interviewed in
Louisiana with a margin error of +/-3.9%. 642 were interviewed in Michigan with a
margin error of +/-3.9%. 837 were interviewed in North Carolina with a margin error of
+/-3.4%.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2013/SenatePollsOctober2013Memo.pdf

SD:

Mike Rounds................................................... 40%
Rick Weiland................................................... 34%
Kurt Evans ...................................................... 11%

PPP surveyed 882 South Dakota voters from October 10th-13th on behalf of People for Weiland. The margin of error is +/-3.3%. PPP’s surveys are conducted through automated telephone interviews.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2013/PPP_Release_SD_1016.pdf
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »

As usual Generic Republican represents the best case for Republicans.

Also, why Rounds's numbers are so soft? I thought he was almost as popular as Hoeven.
And before anyone says anything about PPP, this isn't the first poll that shows him with rather underwhelming support and his camp hasn't published any of their own numbers to refute them.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

Jesus Christ. Even in a poll called "People for Weiland," there is no reason Rounds should be up by SIX POINTS. Also, why is the libertarian getting 11%? The rest of these are unsurprising. Since Generic R/D generally outperforms the names of specific candidates, Nunn is probably up on Gingrey/Kingston/Handel/Broun by 3 or 4, especially since the word "Republican opponent" is viewed favorably in Georgia, more so than either of those four names for sure.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Also, why the HELL did they not poll Montana? I think that most of us would have liked to have seen that over any of these races aside from maybe Arkansas.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2013, 12:27:57 PM by Grimes/2 Chainz 2016 »

Also, why the HELL did they not poll Montana? I think that most of us would have liked to have seen that over any of these races aside from maybe Arkansas.

Daines hasn't formally declared yet.

Rapid reactions:
  • There's good news in AR for Republicans - although Pryor is leading, the shutdown doesn't seem to be affecting Cotton that much at all. His background and his conservatism seem to be propping him up despite what he's done.
  • If you're GOP and in Georgia, you better be praying for Handel at this point. She's the only candidate who's conservative enough to win but not be crazy, and she's distanced from the insanity of Congress. If opinion holds and Broun or Gingrey get the nom, Nunn has a strong chance because of her last name.
  • All quiet in IA - Republicans still have a lot of ground to make up here.
  • Still good news in LA for the GOP - voters are still less likely to vote for Landrieu over the shutdown, and even though she breaks 50%, that'll come down
  • A real poll for MI where Peters stomps Land as I thought. Not a close race at all.
  • NC seems to still Lean D because of Hagan, but voters are still less likely to support her because of the shutdown too. If the right Republican gets nominated, then they can hold this seat.
  • I highly doubt that a popular former Governor is only up by six on an unknown, and the fact that the libertarian broke double digits right away makes me wonder. Although it's by one of the most accurate pollsters, even I think this is too optimistic.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

Also, here are the results after the voters are told that the Republican candidate supported or the Democratic candidate opposed the shutdown:

Mark Pryor ...................................................... 45%
Tom Cotton ..................................................... 42%
Not sure .......................................................... 13%      Pryor +3 ---> Pryor +3: NO CHANGE

Michelle Nunn ................................................. 48%
Not sure .......................................................... 10%       Tie ---> Nunn + 6

Bruce Braley ................................................... 46%
Republican opponent ...................................... 39%
Not sure .......................................................... 15%        Braley +4 ---> Braley +7

Mary Landrieu.................................................52%
Bill Cassidy ..................................................... 42%
Not sure.......................................................... 6%            Landrieu +7 ---> Landrieu +10

Gary Peters..................................................... 50%
Terri Lynn Land ............................................... 36%
Not sure .......................................................... 13%         Peters +7 ---> Peters + 14

Kay Hagan ...................................................... 49%
Republican opponent ...................................... 41%
Notsure.......................................................... 9%             Hagan +5 ---> Hagan +8
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

Arkansas's really jumped the shark.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »

Yup.  Arkansas just ain't Arkansas anymore.  It will be another Kansas or Oklahoma until Obama's out of office.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »

I would be really surprised at this point if Pryor is able to hang on.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »

I'm in agreement with Sawx, except GA in any scenario where the 2 crazies aren't nominated.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »

Well,
Pryor up by 3 points: good news. If he manages to avoid a nationalization of this race, Cotton would lose because of his vote on farm bills and student loans. But if Cottons manages to nationalize this race, he's toast.
It's a pure toss up I guess, but I continue to believe Pryor is slighty a favorite.

For the other races: not a surprise, except for South Dakota where I don't understand, Round is a popular governor: Likely Rep, he should lead by a 10-15 points margin!
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »

I'm ignoring that SD poll,  its obviously biased.  Otherwise things look pretty good for Democrats, though I'm very worried about AR.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »

Don't worry guys, the NRSC has come to the rescue and unskewed these polls for us. It turns out they're actually GREAT news for Republicans.

http://www.nrsc.org/blog/ppp-shows-gop-strength-in-senate-but-still-hasnt-learned-their-lesson
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

Lucky for us shutdown happened the senate especially Pryor, Begich and Landrieu would have been lost.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »

Rounds was never on par with Hoever. He was expected to be about on par with Johanns.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »

If Nunn's tying a Generic R....that says a lot. Hagan looking good if she's ahead by 5 with the Generic R.

Calling bullsh**t on the SD numbers, and the Arkansas numbers worry me if Pryor can't get a bump from the shutdown.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »

Georgia will come around.

But at least Democrats have a rebuttal for the Obama boogieman now, even in right-leaning states apparently.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

Don't worry guys, the NRSC has come to the rescue and unskewed these polls for us. It turns out they're actually GREAT news for Republicans.

http://www.nrsc.org/blog/ppp-shows-gop-strength-in-senate-but-still-hasnt-learned-their-lesson

They say that the Georgia/Iowa polls are invalid because Rothenberg said that testing against Generic R/D is a bad idea, but they don't get the point of that Rothenberg column.

Rothenberg said Generic R OUTperforms actual candidates, not the other way around.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

Lucky for us shutdown happened the senate especially Pryor, Begich and Landrieu would have been lost.
Pryor would've been lost. Landrieu and Begich were and still are popular, as well as gain a lot of crossover support.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »

This article is absolutely hilarious. Not only do they make the absurd claim that Generic R/D UNDERPERFORMS the actual candidates, but they also try to invalidate Michigan's PPP poll by citing the EPIC-MRA and MIRSNews polls that have been proven massively junky. I love this. I'm sure they said the same thing in 2012.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

On Weiland: there are several issues that may be causing these results. The most obvious is biased polling/inclusion of a libertarian who'll suck votes from Rounds. Additionally, though, Rounds has been publicly pro-shutdown/default while Weiland has been very anti-shutdown, which lets Weiland hit Rounds on the farm bill, social security, veterans benefits, etc. But more importantly (there was an NPR report on this, otherwise I'd have had no idea, hasn't gotten a lot of news coverage) there was a massive blizzard in western South Dakota a week or two ago, with tens thousands of cattle dead. There's been basically no response because of the government shutdown, which Weiland (as a former FEMA director) can use.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »

Seriously, has Andy Borowitz infiltrated the NRSC?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »

These all look good except for South Dakota. I'm actually quite concerned about LA, Bill Cassidy has got to do something to make his republican base (more moderate white voters) come home. Unfortunately, they didn't poll Alaska, which I would like to see a PPP poll on. And for South Dakota, Rounds leading by ONLY 6 POINTS. Sorry, but I'm not buying that.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »

Daines hasn't formally declared yet.

Rapid reactions:
  • Still good news in LA for the GOP - voters are still less likely to vote for Landrieu over the shutdown, and even though she breaks 50%, that'll come down

Just because I'm curious--how is this poll good news for the GOP in Louisiana? Almost every poll of this race has shown a Landrieu lead of between 2% and 10%, and this is right in line with those.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »

New Poll: South Dakota Senator by Public Policy Polling on 2013-10-13

Summary: D: 34%, R: 40%, U: 15%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »