The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread - Results of 44 BC) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread - Results of 44 BC) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Gameplay Thread - Results of 44 BC)  (Read 8976 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2014, 06:14:20 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game:

1.- Historical Context:

Gaius Julius Caesar was, in many ways, a revolutionary in Rome. Fighting for Popular ideas with ruthless ambition, he chose to topple the government when they tried to have him stand a trial for treason, and he took over the Republic, trying to give it renewed life with a series of reforms. Right or wrong, Caesar angered many of his former enemies and most of his friends, and no less than twenty Senators (with the sympathy of sixty more) stabbed him to death in the Senate floor in March 15, 44BC.

Caesar had the title of Dictator, but he was planning to give it up to take over command of the war against Parthia, so he had appointed a series of Consuls up to 42BC to control Rome. Marcus Antonius, Junior Consul, took over as Senior Consul and he managed to get Caesar’s private papers and the whole Roman treasury. While he had a lot of sympathies for the Liberatores (Caesar’s murders), he chose to move the people to avenge Caesar, and the Liberatores fear for their lives.

In Macedonia, where Caesar’s legions where waiting for him, Gaius Octavian discovered that he was Caesar’s appointed heir, and he sailed to Rome in search for destiny. The last of Caesar’s enemies, Sextus Pompeius, is also waiting for his change to return to Rome. In the Senate, Marcus Tulius Cicero (an ambitious, intelligent and respected Senator) has discovered that he is control of the backbenchers, and outside Rome, the Liberatores’s leaders: Brutus and Cassius, wait for a chance to return to Rome.

2.- A small preview of the player’s challenges:

Caesar is dead and buried, the Senate is in chaos and Rome is leaderless. It’s up to you to change history and try to take control of the Republic, but will you be able to do so?

Marcus Antonius, now Senior Consul, has managed to take over the control of the Caesarian Faction in the Senate, and having the Roman treasury at his disposal he is in position to take over. However, half the Senate hates him, and his ties to the Liberatores make the Caesarians wary of him.

Secundus Garnerus, a young Senator and Pontiff is faced with the fight of his life. Will he run for Pontifex Maximus to try and save the Republic from further moral decadence? The backbenchers in the Senate and Cicero would be happy to support him, but what about the Liberatores? And Antonius?

Gaius Octavian, Caesar’s true heir has disembarked on Brindisi, followed by his companions Agrippa, Salvidienus and Maecenas. He is now headed to meet his stepfather, the powerful Senator Lucius Marcius Philippus. What is he going to do? Avenge Caesar? Give up his inheritance? Fight Antonius for the control of the Caesarian Party despite his young age?

Sextus Pompeius Magnus, the last man standing of the Republican/Pompeian Party is waging a private guerrilla war in the mountains of Eastern Spain. So far he has defeated Gaius Carrinas, the Governor, but he still has to face the known historian Pollio, Carrinas’s replacement. Will Pompeius beat Pollio? Will he recover his brother Gnaeus’s fleet, still waiting for him at Carteia? Will he sail for Massalia, for Sicily or Syria?

Many ambitious men are fighting to win this game.

Who will win?

3.- Other: You know the rules, so I will just remind you of the turns. At the beginning of each year we will have a massive Senate meeting, where we will hear about the results of the election and the most important events will be discussed. Players will be asked about their opinion on certain matters, and NPC’s will often ask about it. Your performance is likely to affect your popularity and respect. After that comes your yearly schedule, where you will post your political moves and objectives.

During the year I will use random events and historical events to create crises, where certain players are expected to answer (for example, Sextus Pompeius will face a lot of war-themed decisions, and Octavian, Garnerus and Antonius are expected to solve political dilemmas). You are expected to create factions as well, and depending on your performance I will assign clients and allies to your factions, which will be able to compete.

As always, you are invited to ask any questions, and I will slow down the game should we face any problems. Think of this as an alternate-history scenario, so have fun with it!

Oh, last note, my historical sources will be Theodore Mommsen, Cassius Dio and Plutarch, just so you know.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2013, 08:39:59 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

First Movement: The Year of 44BC:

SENATE ANNUAL SESSION N°1: April 1st, 44BC: (For Garnerus, Antonius and Octavian. Octavian will vote through his stepfather, Lucius Marcius Philippus)

Sapiens: Good morning, Quirites! Welcome to our first Senate meeting in a while. As your Princeps Senatus, I am in charge of sending the votes forward, but please remember that our Senior Consul Marcus Antonius has the fasces (the command) of the Senate this month, so he has the prerogative of expulsing members of the Senate should there be any disturbances.

I will be brief, we have a lot of matters to discuss, and I will put forward today’s motions:

Motion I: That the Senate appoints a new Consul to serve as Junior Consul for the rest of this year.
•   Candidates: Only Publius Cornelius Dolabela (Caesarian, but a very dangerous man, even Antonius can’t control him) has announced a willingness to be a candidate. (If Garnerus or Antonius would like different candidates, send me a PM).

Motion II: That Caesar’s decrees concerning the next Consules are to be considered legal.
•   Consuls for the year of 43 BC: Aulus Hirtius and Vibius Pansa (diehard Caesarians)
•   Consuls for the year of 42 BC: Decimus Brutus (Liberator) and Munatius Plancus (Caesarian)

Motion III: That Sextus Pompeius is to receive a pardon, and Governor Pollio will be instructed to send him back to Rome to join the Senate ranks. (Introduced by Cicero)
•   This one is unhistorical. There was an attempt, but it was blocked. It’s up to Antonius and Garnerus if they want Pompeius in the Senate instead of fighting a war.

Motion IV: Caesar’s veterans in Macedonia are to be licenced, after giving them land.

Motion V: That there will be no political prosecutions against the sitting Governors (half of them are members of the Liberatores, and most of them except Decimus Brutus, Marcus Brutus and Gaius Cassius are in their provinces).

Motion VI: That there will be an inmediate election to chose a Pontifex Maximus.
•   Candidates: Marcus Aemilius Lepidus has the support of many Caesarians, but Antonius has been silent and Cicero and the backbenchers hate him. An alternative candidate could certainly beat him by giving a good speech.

Secundus Garnerus, Lucius Marcius Philippus and Marcus Antonius, I will await for your votes and for your speeches should you choose to give any in this issues. After that, this Honorable Senate will decide what to do.

MILITARY REPORT N°1: April 1st, 44BC: (For Sextus Pompeius)

Ave, Imperator!

This is Marcus Aemilius Scaurus (Pompeius’s half brother and legate). The Hispanic tribes have been enthusiastic about your campaign, and you currently have between 10.000 and 12.000 men ready for battle, many of them horsemen.

The new Governor, Gaius Asinius Pollio has joined forces with Gaius Carrinas, and they have a force of two newly recruited Legions, about 11.000 men in total. Explorers say that Pollio is not an experienced commander, but Carrinas is, and he is dangerous.

The choice is this: retreat to our fortresses in the mountains, try to disengage Pollio and reach Carteia, where the fleet awaits, or try to ambush the Roman forces.

What will you do, Imperator?

A MESSAGE FROM LUCIUS MARCIUS PHILIPPUS: March 22nd, 44BC: (For Gaius Octavian):

Dear Octavian,

You must be in Brundisium by now. I don’t have news from Rome, but a lot of things are going to depend on the next Senate session. As you know, I’m a neutral man, but I’m willing to vote the way you would want me to vote. You’re a smart boy, everybody knows that, and I don’t doubt your abilities.

That said, I will ask you to stay away from Rome. They might kill you for being Caesar’s heir! At least keep calling yourself Octavian and not Caesar, or there will be problems with the Senate. Please come to visit me in my villa near Campania, you mother and I are really worried about you.

(The response to this letter will determinate Octavian’s future. Is he going to be Caesar, Octavian or an unknown Roman? Will be wait? Will he act? How will Philippus vote in the Senate?)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »

The results of the Senate session are being prepared, but I still need Garnerus and Pompeius's votes and military orders. I would also like to remind non-players who read this that is always possible to add more people, and more players are always welcome here!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »

Very well, we only need Garnerus now. While this game still goes on, we have lost Marcus Antonius due to IBDD's withdrawal from the forum (he has confirmed this). I have PM'd some players to join the game, and hopefully we will be able to continue as soon as possible.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »

Very well, I'll have to state the obvious and point out that since we lack enough players this is game is suspended (and likely dead as well). Should new plaers arrive or something like that we might be able to revive this, but I don't mind waiting for some months and then reviving this one.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »

This game is now restarted, and I only need Garnerus's (Scott) votes and speeches to go forward with the Senate results. In the meantime, the results of Pompeius's orders are here: (Pompeius is not supposed to react until next turn).

MILITARY REPORT N°2: April 15th, 44BC: (For Sextus Pompeius)

Ave, Imperator!

This is Senator Lucius Scribonius Libo (Pompeius's exiled father in law), writing from Massalia:

I heard that you managed to disengage Pollio and Carrinas without having to fight them, I salute your military abilities, Sextus! My sources also tell me that you are in Carteia now, safely surrounded by your fleet and your army while Gaius Carrinas pacifies the local tribes and Pollio races with his legions to get to your base (he should arrive soon, but you probably know that).

The situation in Rome is conflicted, but I heard rumors of major changes going on in the Senate, so might have a chance to stage a political comeback very soon. As you know, I 'm banned from going to Italy, but there are some Senators who might be willing to help you regain what you lost.

Time is on our side!
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

OOC: Scott will be unable to play due to his schedule, so the game will go on with Pompeius, Octavius and Antonius. I will post the Senate results and then I will post the context for the first turn.

SENATE ANNUAL SESSION N°1: RESULTS:

From the autobiography of Quintus Valerius Sapiens:

BOOK IX:

Antonius’s first votes did not surprise the Senate, given that he was perceived to be plotting vengeance against the Liberatores after his speech at Caesar’s funeral. Some people were surprised at Lucius Marcius Philippus votes, given that he was perceived as neutral, but nobody said a word. The Liberatores that remained in the Senate were too weak to speak up, and thus Caesar’s decrees were declared legal. The Consular Elections began despite Cicero’s pleas, and Publius Cornelius Dolabela was voted new Consul Junior, and since it was April, he was given command of the Senate for the rest of the month.

Cicero himself suffered a great defeat when the Senate refused to allow Sextus Pompeius to return to Rome, despite some support from the outspoken leader of the remaining Liberatores, Lucius Minucius Basilus. The next motion did not create a lot of trouble, everybody agreed that Caesar’s legions deserved to rest, and a commission was created to distribute land, and it would be headed by the respected Senator Gnaeus Domitius Calvinus, a Caesarian general.

But then came the last two votes. As much as everybody expected Antonius to seek vengeance, when a radical measure to prosecute the Liberatores who were sitting Governors was proposed, nobody expected it to have a lot of support until Antonius and Philippus said aye, and then the measure was passed by a dozen votes. The Senators that had killed Caesar and their supporters (about thirty/forthy) left the Curia, headed by Basilus, while Cicero screamed and protested, saying that it would drive Rome to civil war, forcing the Governors to rebel against the Government.

Then, Antonius rose up from his chair and said that he wanted to be Pontifex Maximus. Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, the powerful Senator who also wanted to be Pontifex cursed Antonius, but he refused to back down, and Philippus surprised the Camera for a third time by supporting Antonius, which led to many Senators to suspect that Philippus was bribed. Then Cicero stood up and launched a massive and lengthy speech against Antonius, giving his full support to Lepidus, calling Antonius a danger for Rome’s stability. Lepidus was thus elected Pontifex.

Then came the last surprise: Antonius said that Octavian decided to call himself Gaius Julius Caesar, and he recognized him as Caesar’s heir. Not only that, he supported giving Octavian/Caesar part of the Parthian Campaign gold after he launched said campaign.

The Senate went home after that, deeply disturbed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

FIRST TURN:

Sextus Pompeius: You are now in Carteia, surrounded by a loyal fleet and new found friends. While your Hispanic soldiers don’t want to embark and Pollio races towards you, you have a lot of available roads. Among your options, you can sail to Massalia (where the roman exiles are), Africa or Sicily (with friendly governors there), you can build a new faction in the Senate, or you can try and keep a low profile.

Allies: Marcus Aemilius Scaurus (Legate), Lucius Scribonius Libo (Senator).

Marcus Antonius: You are now the most powerful man in Rome, but Cicero and Lepidus hate you, and the Liberatores are on the brink of launching a civil war if they are indeed prosecuted. Among your options, you can push forward for populist measures, prepare your Parthian campaign or try and destroy Cicero and your enemies in the Senate.

Allies: Gaius and Lucius Antonius (Senators), Gnaeus Piso (Senator).

Gaius Caesar Octavian: You are in Brundisium, surrounded by loyal soldiers and having a lot of money at your disposition. Antonius has been friendly towards you, but the Senate is still distrustful of you. Among your options, you can create a new faction, join Antonius’s group, launch a political crusade to force the Liberatores to rebel against Rome, or try and get included in the Senate.

Allies: Lucius Marcius Philippus (Senator), Marcus Agrippa (Legate), Gaius Maecenas (Adviser).

After you have posted your decisions, arrangement, alliances or objectives (if you create an alliance don't worry about recruiting unless you want to do, for I will provide Senators and Legates to join your faction), I will use the random number and the consequences of your actions to provide the political and military crisis of the year. Then comes the election, and 43 BC will start.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »

This looks excellent! You should really try and bring it back Lumine. I'd participate.

Well, that is certainly great to hear! I sent you a PM to discuss a few doubts that I have over a possible restart, but would I certainly love to see this game back.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 09:53:34 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

FIRST TURN: Results:

As the year of 44 BC kept going, people understood more and more that things were not going to improve anytime soon. The combinated political machine of Antonius and Octavian took over Rome and the Senate, driving Cicero to leading a minority faction and Lepidus back to his provinces, while Basilus and Brutus Albinus tried their best to avoid prosecution while preparing Cisalpine Gaul in case of war. Despite the stability of the alliance between Consul Antonius and the newly renamed Gaius Caesar Octavianus, the Caesarians are not united yet, since opportunists like Junior Consul Dolabella are creating bands of gladiators and thugs to create chaos in Rome, leading to open riots and fight within the bands and Antonius's men.

The Senate decided to obey the two Caesarian leaders, and while they accepted an army to be raised, the Macedonian legions were already disbanded and given land by Domitius Calvinus. Thus, the army won't be ready until next year, and the Senate has made it clear that the army will be presided by the future Consuls, Pansa and Hirtius, not Antonius. Caesar Octavianus joined the ranks of the Senate, and so did many of his supporters, most of them Novus Homus.

As a result of the widespread chaos, many noblemen perished in "accidents", including the respected ex-Consul Vatia Isauricus, Sulla's last living friend, and Marcus Terentius Varrus, the respected erudite and Pompey's former Legate. Sextus Pompey sailed from Hispania towards the Balearic Islands, where he s expected to create a new base of operations and a new fleet to attack the Senate.

Many Senators loyal to Cassius and Brutus have fled Rome, but some still remain there, ready to strike. Some Governors are expected to follow the Caesarian, some the Liberatores, and some might remain neutral, but one thing is certain:

War is coming.

ONE - A REPORT FORM MAECENAS ON MARCUS AEMILIUS LEPIDUS: (For Gaius Caesar Octavianus):

Caesar,

I write this message to you after dining with your stepfather Philippus. Thanks to your political efforts, Lepidus has lost the battle before the Senate and he decided to return to his provinces of Hispania Citerior and Transalpine Gaul. My agents report that Lepidus is probably going to remain neutral on a potential war with the Liberatores, but he is quite unhappy with you and Antonius. It would be a good idea to try and convince him to join your ranks at the near future, for the man holds a lot of influence over Governors Pollio and Plancus, and he is the Pontifex Maximus after all.

Will you make promises to Lepidus or remain silent?

TWO - A MESSAGE FROM PUBLIUS CORNELIUS DOLABELLA: (For Marcus Antonius):

Good day, Antonius!

I hope you will forgive me for hiring so many gladiators and bodyguards in Rome, but a man has to remain safe, and you haven't been too receptive to my desires. As a result, we now have your men and my men fighting on the streets of Rome, and there's a lot of unnecessary bloodshed that you don't need right now. I could naturally convince my men to step aside and recognize your superiority, and I could jon your ranks as well... for a price.

To be plain, my dear Consul, I want my chance to prove a successful commander, so I want the Governorship of Cisapine Gaul to fight Decimus Brutus or the Governorship of Syria to take down those pesky Liberatores. I would also appreciate being named Consul in two more years, and I also have quite a number of bills to pay: I would like your help.

What do you say, Antonius? Do we have a deal?

THREE - A MESSAGE FROM GAIUS TREBONIUS: (For Gaius Cassius Longinus):

There's much to be done, my friend.

Most of the Eastern Governors are willing to join the cause, and we have several potential allies in the Eastern Kingdoms to convince. It's going to take a lot time to organize and actually craft something decent to fight Antonius and Octavius, but it's certainly possible to be ready for war at some point next year.

There's a lot of choices to be made, but I need to how where are we going to hold our seat of power. Some have suggested Athens thanks to the Republican sentiment, some suggested Pergamun, and others Byzantium. I want to encourage you to come to Pergamun, though. I have my legates ready here, and I would be happy to hold a military command: I led the cavalry in Alesia after all.

So, Pergamun, Athens or Byzantium?

Oh, and would you be so kind as to tell where is Brutus going to?

Those are the results of the choices made by the players, and now you must reply to those messages. Once you do, and depending on the answers, we get the result of the elections and 44 BC is over. Then we will start with 43 BC, and you will get a map that will reveal the allegiance of the provinces of the Republic towards the players.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »

I have been working on the next turn, but somehow IBDD hasn't been active since three days ago. I'm sure that he will return today or tomorrow, would the players mind waiting for him?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

I waited as long as possible, but IBDD hasn't been here since February 12th, and it's obvious we lost Mark Antony now. I don't mind having Cassius v. Octavian, but what do you think?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies