German Elections & Politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:30:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 655361 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »

Boo! I wanted endless elections.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »

But wouldn't that lead to the CDU/CSU being at a severe disadvantage in the FPTP seats?

IIRC, proportional seats are allocated to ensure that the total number of seats is proportional, not just the non-FPTP seats. They even go so far as to add seats to the legislature to ensure proportionality.

CDU/CSU could technically lose every FPTP seat and still get their fair share of seats.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

Pretty remarkable that the NPD is down from 4,6% (in 2011) to 1% in a time when one would expect them to thrive. Whether you agree with the AfD or not, we can probably all agree that it is a good thing that they are able to attract such voters and weaken the electoral position of the literal nazis.

How has NPD performed relative to the polls historically? If there's a shy Tory effect, it seems logical that there would be a big shy Nazi effect.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:41:46 AM »

With worrying frequency I come across reasonings along the lines of "I don't have any proof for that, but I do believe it anyway, because it fits with what I think I know about it".

How is this different from supporters of every other political party of the world? There is nothing new under the sun.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »

Meanwhile, AfD leader Frauke Petry's car was set on fire in Leipzig last night. AfD says that the violence against party members has come to resemble terror. According to the party, some politicians are engaging in a smear campaign and "no longer use democratic arguments" when talking negatively about AfD.

I've never understood the wisdom of this sort of thing. It's a great way to make people sympathize with AfD and make your own side look unreasonable. I mean, obviously this is probably some nut who did it and not someone at CDU/SPD HQ, but still.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »

Any word on the makeup of the "Other" result?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »

In addition to what Crabcake says, people who care enough about climate change to let it influence their vote would almost never even think of voting for a party like AfD in the first place. It is not uncommon for European far-right parties to think climate change isn't real. What's more, the far-right in Germany (and Austria) is full of conspiracy loons who think climate change doesn't exist and is simply a way for the NWO/Illuminati/Rothschilds to stay powerful.

Good point.

It applies to virtually every puzzlement about why a party would take such an 'objectively bad' position. I'll have to use that to explain why the Liberals and NDP are so rigidly pro-abortion, or why the LibDems are so stridently pro-Europe.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

In addition to what Crabcake says, people who care enough about climate change to let it influence their vote would almost never even think of voting for a party like AfD in the first place. It is not uncommon for European far-right parties to think climate change isn't real. What's more, the far-right in Germany (and Austria) is full of conspiracy loons who think climate change doesn't exist and is simply a way for the NWO/Illuminati/Rothschilds to stay powerful.

Good point.

It applies to virtually every puzzlement about why a party would take such an 'objectively bad' position. I'll have to use that to explain why the Liberals and NDP are so rigidly pro-abortion, or why the LibDems are so stridently pro-Europe.

I mean, I care enough about abortion to let it influence my vote, and I'd probably want to vote for the NDP if I were Canadian.

*Insert disclaimer about 'in any meaningful numbers' here.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 06:48:54 AM »

And, of course, do not forget, that for many people the Left are still untouchable because of their history.

That doesn't hinder coalitions with the Left on the state level in Berlin, Brandenburg, or Thuringia, and it isn't really an obstacle for the federal level anymore.

Wouldn't the fact that those states are in the East play a role? I'm having a harder time imagining say, a conventional, middle aged civil servant being ok with his party cozying up to die Linke.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »

So why the sudden SPD uptick?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »

Who the heck are these Linke-FDP swing voters?! Cheesy
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »

The beautiful symmetry of six is getting closer and closer. We just need CDU/CSU to drop a few points further, and FDP and Linke to rise a couple of points.

Wonder what that would look like on a FPTP map.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies