German Elections & Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176]
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 655367 times)
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4375 on: November 01, 2018, 06:36:50 AM »

The second candidate is a law student from Berlin, but I don't remember his name. I know nothing about the third candidate.

His name is Jan-Philipp Knoop. The 26-year-old is known for being a harsh critic of Merkel's asylum policy, wanting to "get the situation under control again". His highest "office" in the CDU was "social media representative" in the Berlin chapter of Kleistpark.

He will definitely get more votes than RItzenhoff.
I swear I heard on the political TV broadcaster Phoenix that there was also a third candidate, but I can't find anything about him, either. 😕

Found him, it's Matthias Herdegen.
I'm not sure if any of these candidates will get any votes at all, especially if it's a close race. Why would anyone waste their vote on these guys?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4376 on: November 01, 2018, 06:56:35 AM »

Found him, it's Matthias Herdegen.
I'm not sure if any of these candidates will get any votes at all, especially if it's a close race. Why would anyone waste their vote on these guys?

Good job!
Herdegen (also 61) is a professor of international law from Bonn. However, he doesn't seem to have a specific agenda whatsoever.

Regardless of their political views, isn't the set of minor candidates composed of an accomplished, varied mixture of different properties?
There is a middle-class entrepreneur, a university student, and a professor; a left-wing candidate who sounds like Merkel, a right-wing candidate who sounds like the AfD, and a theoretician who doesn't sound like anything; someone from very liberal Marburg, someone from Berlin and someone from very conservative Bonn. I'm curious to know which of the three candidates will win the most votes in the first round.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4377 on: November 01, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »

As there will be a runoff if no candidate receives a majority in the first round, I can imagine that some of the delegates will want to give "the party establishment™" a warning, since all three minor candidates explain their decision to run by being an alternative to the present party leadership.
DL
Canada

« Reply #4378 on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »

What would be examples of policy areas where the Greens and the SPD actually differ?
palandio

« Reply #4379 on: November 01, 2018, 08:19:49 AM »

[...]
Good job!
Herdegen (also 61) is a professor of international law from Bonn. However, he doesn't seem to have a specific agenda whatsoever.
[...]

Regarding the UN compact on migration Herdegen is rather critical.
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article183078096/UN-Migrationspakt-Unterzeichnerstaaten-schaffen-damit-Erwartungen-bei-Migrationswilligen.html

'The Bonn-based international law professor Matthias Herdegen warns against the associated "gray area of ​​legal non-commitment, that still gives the impression of liability." Signatory states "thus create expectations among those willing to migrate" without, however, building on "reliable structures", according to the scientist who recently announced his candidacy for the CDU chairmanship in an interview with WELT.'

Herdegen is rather conservative, he is for control and restriction of immigration, for lower taxes, against quantitative easing in the Eurozone, for an active role of Germany in the NATO and for a CDU/CSU minority government.
https://www.focus.de/politik/deutschland/kandidat-fuer-cdu-vorsitz-ein-professor-will-es-wagen-merkel-herausforderer-matthias-herdegen_id_9798483.html
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4380 on: November 01, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

Regarding the UN compact on migration Herdegen is rather critical.
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article183078096/UN-Migrationspakt-Unterzeichnerstaaten-schaffen-damit-Erwartungen-bei-Migrationswilligen.html

'The Bonn-based international law professor Matthias Herdegen warns against the associated "gray area of ​​legal non-commitment, that still gives the impression of liability." Signatory states "thus create expectations among those willing to migrate" without, however, building on "reliable structures", according to the scientist who recently announced his candidacy for the CDU chairmanship in an interview with WELT.'

Herdegen is rather conservative, he is for control and restriction of immigration, for lower taxes, against quantitative easing in the Eurozone, for an active role of Germany in the NATO and for a CDU/CSU minority government.
https://www.focus.de/politik/deutschland/kandidat-fuer-cdu-vorsitz-ein-professor-will-es-wagen-merkel-herausforderer-matthias-herdegen_id_9798483.html

He sounds like Spahn and Merz combined in one person.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4381 on: November 01, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

ENDORSEMENT TIME!!!
There are seven official subsidiary organizations within the CDU/CSU:

Women's Union (FU; 155,000 members)
Young Union (JU; CDU/CSU's joint youth organization; 110,000 members; very powerful)
Seniors' Union (SU; 54,000 members)
Middle-Class and Trade Association (MIT; 30,000 members; very powerful)
Christian Democratic Employees' Association (CDA; many members)
East and Middle German Association (OMV)
Local-politics Association (KPV)

The Women's Union is the only sub-organization that has already committed itself. Guess to whom.
AKK also got the endorsement of the CDU Saarland state sub-organizations JU, FU, CDA and MIT.
The Seniors' Union is reported to endorse AKK, too.

There are some smaller CDU associations like the archconservative such as the "Values Union" or the "Berlin Circle" and the neoliberal Economic Advisory Council, all of which support Merz's candidacy.

Source.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4382 on: November 01, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »

I hope that Friedrich Merz is going to win. The CDU needs to move to the right to absorb AfD voters and leave more room at the center for the SPD to rebound and show a sharper difference between the two parties. AKK is just a continuation of Merkel while Spahn is an empty suit and showboat.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4383 on: November 01, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

I hope that Friedrich Merz is going to win. The CDU needs to move to the right to absorb AfD voters and leave more room at the center for the SPD to rebound and show a sharper difference between the two parties. AKK is just a continuation of Merkel while Spahn is an empty suit and showboat.

Well the Union's current trend is a combination of Dominate the Center, Kill the SPD. Electorally the union is fine if they remain 10% higher then any other party - they have to be in government. I guess what I'm saying is I'm for AKK.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #4384 on: November 01, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

I don't think, that "the CDU has to elect Merz and move to the right" will help the political system that much. At the end, someone has to govern together with someone. And CDU/CSU won't govern with the AfD (at least this time, and the "transatlantician", pro-EU, transnational company lobbyist isn't the one to to that, either - as is the gay overambitious "ultraconservative").

On a side note, I think, a Merz-CDU would take more from the FDP actually. At least I can't see AfD voters in the east, of whom most would want a stronger welfare state (but for whites only) and are more "Russia-understanding" will be swayed by Friedrich Merz.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4385 on: November 02, 2018, 03:17:22 AM »

On a side note, I think, a Merz-CDU would take more from the FDP actually. At least I can't see AfD voters in the east, of whom most would want a stronger welfare state (but for whites only) and are more "Russia-understanding" will be swayed by Friedrich Merz.

Plus, Merz lambasted Roland Tichy for his political closeness to the AfD, which is why he rejected the Ludwig Erhard Prize earlier this year.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #4386 on: November 03, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »

New Forsa poll:

Harlow

« Reply #4387 on: November 03, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »

I'll be really interested to see where the Green ceiling is.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies