2008: Obama/Biden vs These 3 Tickets
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:02:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Obama/Biden vs These 3 Tickets
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Obama/Biden vs These 3 Tickets  (Read 5682 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

Assuming the economic crash occurs as in real life, how does the Obama/Biden ticket perform against these three GOP tickets, and what do the electoral maps look like?

Scenario 1: Obama/Biden vs McCain/Huckabee

Scenario 2: Obama/Biden vs Giuliani/McCain

Scenario 3: Obama/Biden vs Huckabee/Romney
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »

Scenerio 1:

Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)/Senator Joe Biden (D-DE): 339 Electoral Votes
Senator John McCain (R-AZ)/Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR): 199 Electoral Votes

Scenerio 2:

Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)/Senator Joe Biden (D-DE): 390 Electoral Votes
Former Mayor Rudy Guliani (R-NY)/Senator John McCain (R-AZ): 148 Electoral votes

Scenerio 3:

Former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR)/Former Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA): 281 Electoral Votes
Senator Barack Obama (D-IL)/Senator Joe Biden (D-DE): 257 Electoral Votes
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »

Scenerio 3:

Former Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR)/Former Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA): 281 Electoral Votes

Give me a f***ing break. And learn to spell, while you're at it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »

How about Obama/Biden vs. Bush/Cheney with no term limits?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »

Scenerio 3:

Huckabee/Romney or Romney/Huckabee would have been strong tickets in either 2008 or 2012. I personally like Huckabee/Romney better than Romney/Huckabee. Mike Huckabee is a really good man (I have actually had the priviledge of meeting him briefly).

I don't understand the GOP obsession that Huckabee was a stronger candidate than Romney and McCain. He had poor campaign structure, got out fund-raised, and couldn't beat McCain in South Carolina of all places, where he should have thrived. His "big win" in Iowa over Romney had a margin of victory of 3 points. Not to mention, the populace is generally through with evangelical conservative candidates. Obama would have beaten him by at least McCain's margin of loss, if not by 10 points in 2008, and he wouldn't have done better than Romney in 2012 either.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 01:23:12 PM by MATTROSE94 »

Given Bush's deep unpopularity, this map might have been possible:

Senator Barack Obama(D-IL)/Senator Joe Biden (D-DE): 472 Electoral Votes
President George W. Bush (R-TX)/Vice-President Dick Cheney (R-WY): 66 Electoral Votes

President Bush's best state would have been Oklahoma, where he would have gotten around 56% of the vote, while Obama would have definitely received 60%-70% of the vote in many states. In addition, a larger win for Obama might have been enough for the Democrats to defeat Saxby Chambliss, Roger Wicker, Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell and maybe Susan Collins in their respective Senate races, thus giving the Democrats their largest Senate majority since the 1960s.
DS0816
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »

President George W. Bush (R-TX)/Vice-President Dick Cheney (R-WY): 66 Electoral Votes

President Bush's best state would have been Oklahoma, where he would have gotten around 56% of the vote, while Obama would have definitely received 60%-70% of the vote in many states. In addition, a larger win for Obama might have been enough for the Democrats to defeat Saxby Chambliss, Roger Wicker, Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell and maybe Susan Collins in their respective Senate races, thus giving the Democrats their largest Senate majority since the 1960s.

If you figure that George W. Bush would have been reduced to holding seven [7] states, then revise your map and trade the hues of Mississippi and Texas.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »

Senator Barack Obama / Senator Joe Biden - 353
Senator John McCain / Governor Mike Huckabee - 185

Senator Barack Obama / Senator Joe Biden - 392
Mayor Rudi Giuliani / Senator John McCain - 146

Senator Barack Obama / Senator Joe Biden - 461
President George W. Bush / Vice President Dick Cheney - 77
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

If you figure that George W. Bush would have been reduced to holding seven [7] states, then revise your map and trade the hues of Mississippi and Texas.
To be honest, I did a uniform 10% swing to Obama in each state in this map and only gave Bush Texas because it is his home state and he still was popular in Texas despite his extremely low national approval ratings.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »

Scenerio 3:

Huckabee/Romney or Romney/Huckabee would have been strong tickets in either 2008 or 2012. I personally like Huckabee/Romney better than Romney/Huckabee. Mike Huckabee is a really good man (I have actually had the priviledge of meeting him briefly).

I don't understand the GOP obsession that Huckabee was a stronger candidate than Romney and McCain. He had poor campaign structure, got out fund-raised, and couldn't beat McCain in South Carolina of all places, where he should have thrived. His "big win" in Iowa over Romney had a margin of victory of 3 points. Not to mention, the populace is generally through with evangelical conservative candidates. Obama would have beaten him by at least McCain's margin of loss, if not by 10 points in 2008, and he wouldn't have done better than Romney in 2012 either.

Given the mood of the country in 2007-08, and the sort of platform and campaign Obama had, I honestly believe he was invincible in that election. I don't think there was a Republican politicians anywhere who could have beaten Obama in 2008. In fact, I think most Democrats would have won the presidency had they been nominated regardless of who the GOP candidate was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies