2004 Democratic Primary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:32:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 438367 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« on: October 28, 2003, 03:43:21 PM »

With the caucuses and primaries about to kick off in a little over two months, whom do you support for the Democratic party's Presidential Nomination and why?  In many states, independents and even Republicans may vote in the democratic primaries.  (sorry, only eight options are available in this poll)

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 06:08:28 PM »

I'm curious to know how wide your web browsers are when you visit the site.  I have kept the layout rather narrow to accomodate the 640 x 480 monitor resolution.  However, a wider format provides more information in a cleaner table layout.  Feedback Welcome.

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 11:00:58 AM »

Hey,
I have read a lot of good posts on this forum.  As for the 2004 State predictions, I have a proposal:

I'll create a page that highlights your individual predictions.  You could download the main US Map and color it (using my standard 10 point scale) (using red for Democrats and blue for Republicans or green for Independent Smiley).  I'll add a web page interface so that you can upload your maps and add any text descriptions you like.

Comments?
Dave  
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 04:13:12 PM »

Oh yeah, and I had a quick question for you, Dave. Concerning the colors.
Why do you use blue for Republicans and red for Democrats, when most people do it the other way around, even calling the southern Republican states, "red states"? You probably don't really have an answer to this question. I mean, its probably just your preference of colors, but I was just curious. Smiley

Demrepdan - this is one of the most-frequently asked questions.  I have a FAQ entry on it, but the bottom line is that I started building these maps 12 years ago - way before states were referred to as "red" or "blue" (at least that I can remember).  I believe that I was most influenced by the map I saw in the Syracuse Herald Journal of Reagan's win in 1984 (I was 14).  The map was entirely blue (with exception of MN and DC).  Also, as has been pointed out on the forums in the past, Red is more traditionally the color of parties on the left.  Elephants are also "blue" Smiley

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 09:33:11 PM »

New User Prediction Page:

2004 Prediction Page

I whipped this up and it still needs some polishing.  Post your comments, feature requests, modifications, etc.

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 09:47:36 AM »

English,
Did you get an error message after attempting the upload?  The files showed up in the directory, but with zero file length.  I don't know what caused that (does the directory that you are attempting to read the file from have the correct permissions set?).  email me your file to leip at this domain (uselectionatlas.org) and I will upload it.

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 05:13:10 PM »

This link.  I will eventually have it linked on a 2004 page (that will include candidate information, polls, ballot status of candidates, etc.).  
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 08:40:47 PM »

I am not able to reproduce the upload problem.  I have tried MacOS X with Safari and MacOS 9 with Netscape and Opera and have not had any trouble with the upload.  If you are using a PC, I suspect that the folder that you are attempting to upload the file from must have permission set for anyone to read (i.e. the web browser needs to be able to read the folder)... but this is only a guess (I have always had some degree of trouble with PCs and permissions).  Beet, what did you use to perform the upload?  I will try uploading on a PC a bit later.

As for filling the maps, get a small graphic manipulation program.  On Mac, I use the excellent GraphicConverter.  Although overkill, photoshop of course works on any PC/Mac.  I think that even the included "Paint" program on the PC will work, but I have little experience with it.  On Linux, I'm sure that the free GIMP will work, although I haven't tried it.

Essentially, select the color for the appropriate percentage win from the boxes in the lower corner with a color-select tool.  Then use a paint-bucket tool to fill in the states (and the holes inside the EV numbers).

Thanks,
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 10:01:58 PM »

NorthernDog - are you predicting the exact same map as 2000?  Notice you left the EV totals out.  BTW, what platform (OS, browser) did you use to upload?
Thanks,
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 10:10:51 PM »

Lots of posts from me tonight: I just tested IE5 on Win98 (my PCI IDT 400 Winchip! in the 9600 who-hoo! - for those of you who might know what that gibberish means Smiley) and was also able to upload a map from the desktop... no permission changes required.

Also fixed a bug that I introduced this afternoon where the home page had the incorrect link on each username.

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies