Will the US default on October 17th 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 10:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the US default on October 17th 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Will it happen?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Will the US default on October 17th 2013?  (Read 7453 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »

Pat Toomey joins the crazy crowd. I thought he was a conservative leader? I guess not...

http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/327399-toomey-no-need-to-raise-the-debt-ceiling
illegaloperation

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

Yes they are.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/debt-limit-deniers-98041.html?hp=t2_3
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

So, what are they expecting if we don't raise the debt ceiling? That we will just fund the Government through inflation? I cannot say that I will not incidentally benefit from that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »

You guys do realize it's not mathematically possible for us to default. In one month, the treasury department makes $240,000,000.000 in tax revenue while only paying less than $100,000,000,000 on interest.
You do realize that the government only has the authority (until congress grants otherwise, good luck with that!) to pay bills as they come in.  They can't prioritize what does or doesn't get paid, since that could pretty easily lead to an abuse of the system. 
But the Republicans are depending on abusing the system to stay relevant. In their perfect world, there would be no elections and everything would be settled by the "will of the people".
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »

Yeah, that's the problem with the "prioritizing" argument.  It's not the technical issues, its that the Treasury doesn't have the legal authority to spend less than Congress requisitioned on everything that Congress requisitioned.  Jack Lew (or Barack Obama!) doesn't have the legal authority to say "stop paying Social Security before you pay interest payments on the debt."  The idea that we can reprioritize debt payment without a Congressional bill authorizing the Treasury to do so is simply illegal (unconstitutional is more like it, as it's a direct violation of Congress' power of the purse).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2013, 10:28:39 AM by Indeed »

Yeah, that's the problem with the "prioritizing" argument.  It's not the technical issues, its that the Treasury doesn't have the legal authority to spend less than Congress requisitioned on everything that Congress requisitioned.  Jack Lew (or Barack Obama!) doesn't have the legal authority to say "stop paying Social Security before you pay interest payments on the debt."  The idea that we can reprioritize debt payment without a Congressional bill authorizing the Treasury to do so is simply illegal (unconstitutional is more like it, as it's a direct violation of Congress' power of the purse).
Basically, the Republicans think that by not raising the debt ceiling, they can cancel all of the programs that they do not like by default?

So, any bill to prioritize spending would not have enough votes and if one passed, it would be struck down or at least struck down long enough for it not to go into effect. This, of course, assumes that the Federal Courts can hear the cases.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »

But that's just the problem. Congress has passed bills demanding the appropriation of certain funds to certain causes, but then has passed other bills effectively preventing the implementation of such appropriations. This is why the debt ceiling concept if fundamentally flawed to begin with, if it is treated as anything other than a technical formality. It is as if Congress were telling Obama to drive a blue car, and then passed legislation banning blue cars.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »

So, what are they expecting if we don't raise the debt ceiling? That we will just fund the Government through inflation? I cannot say that I will not incidentally benefit from that.

I think the idea would be that they would keep disbursements from the Fiscal Service going based on whatever cash reserves they have and whatever revenues keep coming in.   

Then, they would stop all automatic payments on other items.  They would try to figure out what they could afford to pay, while maintaining cash reserves to pay for debt service.  Unfortunately, this may not be legal and would put the US into a recession immediately.  The other problem is that a financial panic caused by this situation could cause credit markets to freeze.  This could put the economy into free-fall state and assuming there is still inaction from Congress, this would lead to the collapse of the capital markets and the insolvency of all commercial banks.  That would be something like the Great Depression3.  Some Tea Party people would love that though because their freeze dried food, gold and automatic weapons will come in handy.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »

Heritage is backing off the debt limit fight, this has good news. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/heritage-debt-ceiling_n_4070242.html?1381331489
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »

You can't spend what you don't have, so you have to prioritize. You can't follow a law that is impossible to follow. In all events, of course the Pubs would pass legislation authorizing debt service payments as a priority or whatever, which Obama would no doubt veto, to prevent himself from having that technical legal authority.  It's all games.

But Bedstuy is right that there are risks in failing to pay other stuff, and the uncertainty, and a potential failing of confidence of the financial markets, so just because the debt service is paid, doesn't mean that there are not potential severe negative consequences. There just won't be a panic because debt service obligations are not met. In the end, Obama will pay the debt service no matter what the spin is now. Hopefully we will not have to find out if I am right, but I am confident that I am right.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »

You can't spend what you don't have, so you have to prioritize. You can't follow a law that is impossible to follow. In all events, of course the Pubs would pass legislation authorizing debt service payments as a priority or whatever, which Obama would no doubt veto, to prevent himself from having that technical legal authority.  It's all games.

But Bedstuy is right that there are risks in failing to pay other stuff, and the uncertainty, and a potential failing of confidence of the financial markets, so just because the debt service is paid, doesn't mean that there are not potential severe negative consequences. There just won't be a panic because debt service obligations are not met. In the end, Obama will pay the debt service no matter what the spin is now. Hopefully we will not have to find out if I am right, but I am confident that I am right.
You think he will just have the treasury print money to pay the debt?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2013, 11:00:36 AM by Torie »

I never said that at all, but printing more money as it were could conceivably be part of the mix, at least short term. What I said, is that of course the cash available will be prioritized. Obama himself just said that his administration is "exploring all contingencies" if Congress fails to meet the deadline. "So obviously, you know, worst-case scenario, there are things that we will try to do — but I will repeat, I don't think any option is good." (emphasis added)

And despite all the assertions to the contrary, has the Administration said it is impossible for whatever reason to pay the debt service with the available cash, and they won't, and thus there will be a treasury debt default? No. And if it literally cannot do it for whatever reason (as opposed to just refusing to do it even though they can), the Administration is being reckless in not saying so now, and why, and what needs to be done to change that. But I don't believe that for a moment.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »

http://www.treasury.gov/initiatives/Documents/Debt%20Limit%20Myth%20v%20Fact%20FINAL.pdf

Everyone should check this out.  Straight from the horse's mouth.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »

If we define "default" as failing to pay all government bills as they come due even though the debt service portion of them are paid, then obviously that is a true statement. It is all in the definition of the word - the capture the moniker game. But typically, the word "default" is used out there in the spin world in the same sentence as defaulting on government debt.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »

I heard on NPR that if the US defaulted on its debt that it would be a "turning point in human history".

What would that turning point be? The end of the end? The beginning of the end? the end of the beginning? The beginning of a beginning?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/360815/costa-gop-moving-direction-short-term-solution-nro-staff

Robert Costa on MSNBC says the Republican leadership is moving towards a short-term (six week) debt ceiling extension, as they're becoming genuinely concerned they'll be blamed for a default.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2013, 05:06:15 PM by King »

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/360815/costa-gop-moving-direction-short-term-solution-nro-staff

Robert Costa on MSNBC says the Republican leadership is moving towards a short-term (six week) debt ceiling extension, as they're becoming genuinely concerned they'll be blamed for a default.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies