It's official: Casey is running!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  It's official: Casey is running!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: It's official: Casey is running!  (Read 11561 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 09:40:40 PM »

Now watch the PA Democrats nominate someone else...

I wish that was true but there's no one else that would run. Hoeffel is out. Hafer is out. The two guys are Bob Casey and some joke candidate. Casey has the nomination.

As long has the liberal groups with $$$$ don't totally rebel against him, and just stay neutral, he'll get the nomination.

They have no one to rebel with. They went with Hafer. She dropped out. They would have went with Hoeffel but he's not running. They'll go with Pennacchio but the guy isn't serious especially compared to Casey.

Why won't Hoeffel run? Rendell pulling the strings there to? I do expect a liberal candidate to surface, probably get some decent support from the pro-choice groups but he/she won't have a chance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 10:19:10 PM »

Now watch the PA Democrats nominate someone else...

I wish that was true but there's no one else that would run. Hoeffel is out. Hafer is out. The two guys are Bob Casey and some joke candidate. Casey has the nomination.

As long has the liberal groups with $$$$ don't totally rebel against him, and just stay neutral, he'll get the nomination.

They have no one to rebel with. They went with Hafer. She dropped out. They would have went with Hoeffel but he's not running. They'll go with Pennacchio but the guy isn't serious especially compared to Casey.

Why won't Hoeffel run? Rendell pulling the strings there to? I do expect a liberal candidate to surface, probably get some decent support from the pro-choice groups but he/she won't have a chance.

He won't run probably because the establishment is solidly behind Casey. He's already said he won't be a candidate.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 10:55:31 PM »

I wouldn't call the election for Casey yet.  Wait until the White House and the national GOP gets fully involved, then we will see if Casey has got what it takes.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 11:00:57 PM »

Casey's Senate website is up

http://www.bobcaseyforpa.com/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 11:56:56 PM »

I think it's funny how the worst case scenario has played out for Santorum. Gotta admit the Democratic establishment is very motivated to get rid of him.

Stuff like this is more likely to happen because of the polarization.  Some election soon it will bite the Republicans big time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2005, 12:00:19 AM »

I wouldn't call the election for Casey yet.  Wait until the White House and the national GOP gets fully involved, then we will see if Casey has got what it takes.

That's true. Santorum will bring in some heavy hitters but I still don't believe it will be enough. You don't know how badly I hope I am wrong about this though.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2005, 12:10:44 AM »

“Pennsylvanians have seen first-hand the devastating effects of unfair federal trade policies that are causing us to hemorrhage jobs and of rising health care costs that are squeezing family budgets and destroying the ability of our businesses to make a profit and hire new workers.”

This isnt gonna' work.  Didnt Santorum vote against NAFTA and GATT?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2005, 12:18:45 AM »

“Pennsylvanians have seen first-hand the devastating effects of unfair federal trade policies that are causing us to hemorrhage jobs and of rising health care costs that are squeezing family budgets and destroying the ability of our businesses to make a profit and hire new workers.”

Stuff like this won't really matter.  If Casey wins it will be on name and experience, not anti-free trade, not education, not health care.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2005, 12:21:36 AM »

Stuff like this won't really matter.  If Casey wins it will be on name and experience, not anti-free trade, not education, not health care.

So issues wont matter?  If Santorum did vote for these agreements and job's were lost or at least perceived to be lost because of these agreements it could hurt or help.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2005, 12:22:40 AM »

Yeah. The name really means a lot in this race. People know Santorum but there's no comparing Santorum's name to the Casey name.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2005, 12:23:46 AM »

I guess Ill have to take the PA residents word on this one.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2005, 12:26:04 AM »

So issues wont matter?  If Santorum did vote for these agreements and job's were lost or at least perceived to be lost because of these agreements it could hurt or help.

They'll matter, but Santorum won't lose the race due to issues.  He'll lose due to Casey having the name recognition of a 20 year incumbent.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »

What do Casey's approval ratings look like?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »

What do Casey's approval ratings look like?

15. Is your opinion of State Treasurer Bob Casey Jr. favorable, unfavorable, mixed, or haven't you heard enough about him?

From http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11379.xml?ReleaseID=649

Favorable                    41%     
Unfavorable                 8     
Mixed                          18     
Hvn't hrd enough        31     
REFUSED                      1     

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2005, 05:29:16 AM »

I'm delighted to hear that Bob Casey is running for PA senator and Santorum is in for a tough fight, assuming PA Democrats give Casey the nod

Dave
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »

isf santorum chickens out, who would be the likely republican candidate?  tom ridge?

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2005, 11:03:20 AM »

i cant support either of these candidates.

any normal people in pennsylvania?

Perhaps one or two but most of us are non-partisan. By the way, I don't think Santorum will dodge Casey. As an aside- Keystone Phil, do you think Spacter will campaign for Santorum or will be "too ill" to return the favor?

Specter wouldn't work hard for one of the guys that saved his political career.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2005, 12:57:33 PM »

There is a big problem for Casey.  He is running with one of the few  group in PA that is majority pro-choice, the Democratic Party.  It is likely that there will be a well funded challenge to him on that issue.

Nobody heard of Lynn Yeakel before the 1992 Primary.  Nobody heard of Peg Luksic (and I lived 10 miles from her at the time) before the 1990 Primary.  Ron Klink was shoe-in defeat Santorum in 2000, before the 2000 Primary.  All of these, even to extent Yeakel, used abortion, or "women's issues" to really destroy one party's chances.

For Casey to win, he needs:

1.  No well funded pro choice candidate in the Primary.

2.  No well funded pro choice third party candidate in the General (even one that gets 7% of the vote could end any chance of a D victory).

3.  No large backlash against Rendell.

Rendell could be a very key factor; if voters turn out to vote against Rendell, for any reason except abortion, Casey loses.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »

2.  No well funded pro choice third party candidate in the General (even one that gets 7% of the vote could end any chance of a D victory).

Of the 3 you listed this is the only one Im worried about. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2005, 01:46:06 PM »

Of the 3 you listed this is the only one Im worried about. 

Number 1 could be a bigger problem.  The Democratic Primary is substancially more liberal than the state.  It was Schwartz that probably gave Santorum his victory last time.  :-)

Klink was suppose to be the ideal candidate to crush Santorum in 2000.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2005, 01:47:52 PM »

isf santorum chickens out, who would be the likely republican candidate?  tom ridge?

If for some reason Rick drops out...I would not be surprised to see the name of Mark Schweiker floated around.

He's still immensely popular during his stint as Governor...is from the Southeast (actually my home township)...and is much more moderate.

Run Schweiker run!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »

I think that most pro-choice Democrats in PA would probably prefer Casey to Santorum, swallow their pride, and vote for him.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2005, 03:18:38 PM »

I think that most pro-choice Democrats in PA would probably prefer Casey to Santorum, swallow their pride, and vote for him.

Got that right!  bullmoose, come on buddy it's Santorum.  Send him packing!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2005, 05:23:33 PM »

If for some reason Rick drops out...I would not be surprised to see the name of Mark Schweiker floated around.

He's still immensely popular during his stint as Governor...is from the Southeast (actually my home township)...and is much more moderate.

Run Schweiker run!

I was thinking of the same thing. If Santorum decides not to run for re-election, I'll strongly support Schweiker.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2005, 05:30:09 PM »

Run Schweiker run!

I was thinking of the same thing. If Santorum decides not to run for re-election, I'll strongly support Schweiker.

I thought Schweiker has some really well paying cushy job promoting business in PA for the Chamber of Commerce or some such thing. He would be crazy to give that up for an uncertain run for the U. S. Senate unless they hold the job for him should he lose.

I'm sure he'll be able to keep his job or atleast return to it if he loses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies