It's official: Casey is running!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:20:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  It's official: Casey is running!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: It's official: Casey is running!  (Read 11559 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2005, 12:15:13 PM »

http://www.pennlive.com/newslogs/patriotnews/index.ssf?/mtlogs/penn_patriotnews/archives/2005_03.html#052562

Casey announces Senate bid
State Treasurer Bob Casey Jr. will seek the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate seat now held by Republican Rick Santorum. Casey made his formal announcement late this morning and promptly won the endorsement of Gov. Ed Rendell, who defeated Casey for their party's nomination for governor three years ago. Casey, 44, had been wooed by top Democrats in the state and Washington to run against Santorum, who they say will be one of their top election targets nationally next year. Casey’s first challenge, however, could be a primary with former Treasurer Barbara Hafer, who lost the 1990 governor’s election to Casey’s father.
— Brett Lieberman

“As senator, I will fight everyday to put middle-class families first," Casey said in a statement shortly after 11 a.m. "Pennsylvanians have seen first-hand the devastating effects of unfair federal trade policies that are causing us to hemorrhage jobs and of rising health care costs that are squeezing family budgets and destroying the ability of our businesses to make a profit and hire new workers.

"Instead of confronting these problems, the current Republican leadership in Washington views the results of the November election as a mandate to increase the speed and severity of their push to undermine policies that protect middle-income working families," Casey said. "Their actions since the election played a large part in my decision to enter the Senate race."

Democrats, including Rendell, have been trying to clear the field to avoid the scenario of a costly and divisive primary that will likely focus on the contentious issue of abortion rights. Casey, like his father, a former governor, and also Santorum, supports restrictions on abortion. Hafer, a former Republican, backs abortion rights and has been supported by pro-choice groups.

“We need to be united. We need to coalesce. And we need to do it now,” says T.J. Rooney, Pennsylvania Democratic Party chairman.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »

Aww, it's ok Rick.  You don't have to cry just yet.  Wait till November next year.
danwxman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »

HOLY SH!T

Hafer Out

Sources tell PoliticsPA that former Treasurer Barbara Hafer has decided not to run for Senate after a call today from Governor Ed Rendell.  This essentially clears the field for Bobby Casey Jr.

Hey Phil, how's about them apples? I guess I was right.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 01:15:11 PM »

Ok, I'll be a jerk and say to those who argued with me that Casey "wants to be Gov" .... told ya so.  This is gonna be the race to watch in 2006.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:06:58 PM »

Yep. That's that. Hafer out, Casey in. Unless Hoeffel runs (unlikely) Casey will win the primary and win the seat. Santorum might consider retirement from the Senate and a 2008 run alittle more strongly now...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:11 PM »

There's a first for everything...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 02:12:46 PM »

Ugh.

I like the Casey's but...

On one hand, we have a Fiscally conservative Republican (whose social ideology is, frankly, frightening) with lots of clout...vs a populist democrat who is, for me, even more ideologically opposed...that I probably would like more as a person.

Tough choice here.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 02:14:43 PM »

Looks like Ill be making a couple trips to PA over the next year or two. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 02:18:35 PM »

Ugh.

On one hand, we have a Fiscally conservative Republican (whose social ideology is, frankly, frightening) with lots of clout...vs a populist democrat who is, for me, even more ideologically opposed...that I probably would like more as a person.

Tough choice here.

Remember that Santorum might just say the hell with it and not run in '06.

The worst part of this is that Hafer dropped out. She could have beaten Casey but looks like that campaign of her's couldn't survive. And anyone that doesn't Hafer is controlled by Rendell, think again. He called her and told her not to run. I still don't know why he just didn't tell her not to run in the beginning.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 02:26:22 PM »

Excellent news Smiley

I agree with Phil when he says that Santorum will probably retire
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 03:02:07 PM »

this casey seems like a lapdog of the af;-cio.  if so, he is a horrible person.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 03:11:17 PM »

As an answer to Walter's question:

He's from Scranton
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 03:44:16 PM »

This news puts my soul to ease.  Are there any Repubs that could win against Casey?
Cashcow

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 04:03:35 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 04:06:35 PM by Cashcow »

Wow, this is great news. But, unfortunately, a social conservative wins either way - something the Republicans can be happy about.

Perhaps I'll hop the border and campaign for Casey.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 04:21:07 PM »

I don't see Tricky Ricky going down without a fight.  And I'll admit that while Casey has a strong advantage, this election is by no means a cakewalk.  It will be a real battle.

Even if Santorum is defeated I'd look for Bush to appoint him to some political bureaucrat role (Santorum has never done anything but be involved in politics).  Then in 2008 I'd expect him to try to latch on with someone as a possible VP candidate.
danwxman

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 04:31:36 PM »

Ugh.

Tough choice here.

The worst part of this is that Hafer dropped out. She could have beaten Casey but looks like that campaign of her's couldn't survive. And anyone that doesn't Hafer is controlled by Rendell, think again. He called her and told her not to run. I still don't know why he just didn't tell her not to run in the beginning.

All hope is not lost for you. Like I said, Santorum should drop out and run for Governor. Maybe Toomey will run for the senate seat? He'd still lose to Casey though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 04:34:32 PM »

Ugh.

Tough choice here.

All hope is not lost for you. Like I said, Santorum should drop out and run for Governor. Maybe Toomey will run for the senate seat? He'd still lose to Casey though.

Santorum won't take the risk of giving up his seat and running for another office. He could win but it's too much to chance. Just retire and focus on 2008.

If Santorum does retire, I could see the PA GOP turning to Toomey, saying, "Hey, run for us this time, get beat and come back in 2010." I don't think he'd do it though. It's funny because that was what was supposed to happen with Hoeffel. He was supposed to be the Democratic candidate this time around. I feel bad for him. Wait...no I don't. RUN JOE RUN!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »

so, santorum, in addition to being homophobic, is cowardly also?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 04:46:48 PM »

This will be a fight for one reason. Santorum most likely will not drop out and retire.  He will fight this one out to the end, and most likely be defeated, but not before they unleash a massive smear campaign on each other.  This will be all about the Liberal Democrat vote, and whether they will bother to come out and vote in Philly.  If they come out, Casey has it in the bag, if not, Santorum can still win this race.  It ain't over.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »

so, santorum, in addition to being homophobic, is cowardly also?

I wouldn't be surprised if Santorum stepped up and said that he would still run. I knew this "coward" comment would start so I'm glad I can address it and get it over with. Santorum wouldn't be a coward by not running for re-election. He's had a good two terms in the Senate and has his eyes on the Presidency (but hasn't ignored the state). I'd say it would be the smart move politically for him to retire.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 04:49:30 PM »

The liberals will come out to vote for Casey, because he's not Santorum. I would vote for Pinochet over Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 04:50:49 PM »

This will be a fight for one reason. Santorum most likely will not drop out and retire.  He will fight this one out to the end, and most likely be defeated, but not before they unleash a massive smear campaign on each other.  This will be all about the Liberal Democrat vote, and whether they will bother to come out and vote in Philly.  If they come out, Casey has it in the bag, if not, Santorum can still win this race.  It ain't over.

Philly will come out and vote. It won't be like '04 but remember that Rendell is on the ballot. I, too, don't believe it's over. Things could happen. Casey isn't a lock. All I'm saying is that he's likely to win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 04:53:11 PM »

I would vote for Pinochet over Santorum.

But the real question is - Would you vote for a Nepalese communist rebel who opposed abortion yet despised school uniforms and Norm Coleman over Santorum?  That's what we're all dying to know.  Roll Eyes
Cashcow

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »

Is Casey economically liberal?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 04:54:41 PM »

I would guess center-left.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: