The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:51:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED  (Read 14145 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »

My only amendment would be a switch of Maryland and Delaware to the North, and move West Virginia to the South.

I agree.  Lets go with this one:

West = 55, South = 52, Northeast = 61

I can live with this map.  Smiley
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »

My only amendment would be a switch of Maryland and Delaware to the North, and move West Virginia to the South.

I agree.  Lets go with this one:

West = 55, South = 52, Northeast = 61

I can live with this map.  Smiley

The King in the North would be supportive of such a map. Annexation of Lannister -err I mean mideast territories into our kingdom would be beneficial.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »

Everyone needs to include Puerto Rico and Oceania in their maps.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

I'm not actually part of this convention, but I just want to say that FTR Fritz's latest map is probably the best regional consolidation map I've seen so far.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 02:04:13 AM »

FYI, for all of those saying that the Mideast has to be split up because of where it is on the map, I beg to differ:

Green: 55
Red: 59
Blue: 52

Alternatively, you could split MD, VA, and DC off from the Mideast, but it's not necessary as I've already shown:

Green: 54
Red: 59
Blue: 53
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

Tried to make a map that didn't really preserve any region:

Red: 57
Blue: 51
Green: 57

This map may well simply make no one happy, but just thought I'd submit it Tongue
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

This map may well simply make no one happy, but just thought I'd submit it Tongue

This is my favorite map so far!!!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

A couple minor changes to Tallyrand's map.

This map:
1. Combines the Midwest and Pacific entirely, except OK
2. Leaves the Northeast intact, except Delaware
3. Leaves the IDS intact
4. Divides the Mideast between the Northeast and South.  Sorry ME, this is the one region that simply must be split up because of its location on the map
5. West = 53, Northeast = 57, South =58

Missouri could really go in any of the three, in fact it may be better off in the West.  Also, West Virginia could go South or NE.

I like this map
GAworth
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »

This is my favorite map so far!!!
My goal of uniting South Dakota and Georgia into one region is achieved in this. I like it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »

These are both just messy and nonsensical - aimed at things like preserving a particular region (or not doing so) than on compact regions that follow natural or cultural boundaries.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

I favor Fritz's map honestly. I don't like having half region on one side of the map and half on the other.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

For the people who'd prefer that all regions be split, here's a good map proposed by ME citizen Space7. It doesn't really pay attention to RL cultural divisions, besides being cohesive and attractive.

GAworth
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:13 PM »

For the people who'd prefer that all regions be split, here's a good map proposed by ME citizen Space7. It doesn't really pay attention to RL cultural divisions, besides being cohesive and attractive.

Yeah, I suggested something similar when talking to the other Governors. I think the Eastern seaboard in this map will be way too weighted in population, though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:15 AM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »

I, Snowguy716, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »

It'd probably be a good idea for those who posted multiple maps to remove the links of the maps that are not their actual submission (save for quoted maps).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »

Atlasia must have three regions that make some sense IRL.  I place low importance on balancing population since everybody is just going to move around once a new map is adopted anyway to get in on their preferred region.

And having regions with balanced populations is less of a big deal in a 3-region map, since there are only 3 regional governments and we've pretty much always had at least 3 somewhat active regions in our 5-region setup.  I really doubt we're gonna see 80 people crowd into one region when each region has a limited number of positions available.

SO STOP WITH THE STUPID BALANCED POPULATIONS

AND STOP WITH THE WACKY MAPS THAT PUT STATES LIKE MINNESOTA IN THE SAME REGION AS FLORIDA.  That's gross.  We like our wetlands filled with spruce and moose, not dumb alligators and snakes and God knows how many other deadly, poisonous creatures.

The regions should have some cohesiveness and should make sense in real life.

So I would put the northern plains, upper midwest, Great Lakes, and NE together in one region, the southeast into another.. and then have an enormous western region where all the freaky deaky dutch can do their westy things like bitch about water and grow marijuana.

Mostly I think we should create a map that doesn't split up major metropolitan areas (like Minnesota and Wisconsin.. two of the most similar states of any two states in the country... separated because it somehow looks good on a map or BALANCES THE POPULATION (aww great here we go again)

So.. poo on you, poo on your maps, poo all over the sink handles and door knobs and in your dish washer... here's my map, which I present to you with utmost humility and good will.

No major metros split except Nyman (which is appropriate) and Cincinnati (sorry gais)

And yes, I know Texas is in the west.  To me, Texas belongs in the west more than in the southeast.  It's cattle ranching and oil... but obviously it could go to the SE just as easily.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:59 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2013, 04:37:54 AM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

Since this convention did not require a blood oath, I'm going to submit one as well.

It's the same one that I had posted a few weeks ago. Keeps 4/5 regions wholly intact and is roughly equal in population (57 South, 57 Northeast, 55 West). Oceania to Pacific, Puerto Rico to South).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:28 AM »

MAP SUBMISSION PERIOD TERMINATES: 10/19/13 01:31:28 AM ET

MAP VOTING PERIOD BEGINS: 10/19/13 01:31:29 AM ET [/b][/center]

Here is a copy of the reference sheet that will be used for the vote, which begins in less than 24 hours - please review for errors and the like. I have eight maps on here (by my count, there were nine submissions; Scott/Fritz both submitted the same map). I tried to standardize the color schemes of each. It'd also be helpful if each person could clarify how Oceania/Puerto Rico are distributed.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

I am giving my endorsement to map 1. Map 2/3 is my 2nd choice while map 8 would be my 3rd preference.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »

I feel extremely strongly about this issue to the point that if we adopt a map that sticks my state in with the west, I probably will just stop playing the game.

I find it a bit offensive the way the north-central part of the country is split every which way in order to balance the population out while preserving a Northeast and Southeast region.

What will happen is you will have a western region dominated by California, Oregon, and Washington with a few people in Minnesota with hardly anyone in between.  Minnesota's interests have nothing in common with California or Hawaii... while there is some cultural continuity between Minnesota and the northeast because of the fact that Minnesota was settled from the east, rather than from the west like many western states.

So Minnesota would be drowned out and marginalized by being in a region dominated by the interests of west coast players.

At least if Minnesota and the Dakotas are in the east (since they are midwestern states), you would have two poles in the MW/NE region... one in the midwest comprised of the former mideast and midwest areas.. and the northeast.  But the economy and culture is more continuous this way.

The only thing worse than lumping Minnesota in with California is lumping it in with Florida.

There is an argument to be made for reducing the number of regions in order to counteract inactivity in the regions.  But there is no argument to pay attention to balancing population numbers... because people will be moving around a lot once the new map is adopted anyway, and there's just no feasible way we're gonna have an inactive region when there are only 3 of them.  Not unless we see a mass exodus from the game.

My map preserves cultural continuity.  It does not arbitrarily split up major metropolitan areas (Xahar's map splits up the Fargo/Moorhead, Omaha/Council Bluffs, and Kansas City metros which are all the largest metros in those plains states while the maps that lump MN into the west split up the Twin Cities by putting Wisconsin in the east).

I know most of you guys are from coastal areas and consider this area of the country flyover country... but I find it unfair that most are unwilling to split up the south or northeast or west while they slice and dice the north-central part of the country every which way.

Minnesota is, in fact, the central point of the region known as the "Upper Midwest" which includes Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas.  There is cultural continuity.. and by lumping some of these states intot he west, you marginalize them... which will pretty much destroy any interest I'd have in participating in regional politics.

So I would argue that unless we can adopt a map that takes these things into account, it would be better not to reduce the number of regions at all.  At least as it stands now, Minnesota isn't dominated by interests from the west coast states even if the midwest is known for inactivity.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2013, 05:34:03 PM by Senator Maxwell »

1. Map 1
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »

I would support 1,2,3,6,7,8,9.  Don't care which one, I'm a compromising guy. 4 and 5 just look utterly stupid, come on guys.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2013, 06:58:42 PM by SJoyce »

[1] Map 1
[2] Map 2/3
[3] Map 9
[4] WI: Palestine
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to: