Default deadline: October 17
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:42:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Default deadline: October 17
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Default deadline: October 17  (Read 5894 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

Time to raise the debt ceiling again!

At least everyone in Congress agrees that causing an economic crisis would be bad, right?

(looks at House GOP conditions for raising the debt ceiling)

Ugh...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:01 AM »

Obama had better not give a Planck length to these economic terrorists.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:39 AM »

What if they don't agree on a budget or CR by Oct. 1, and the government shuts down?  With a government shutdown, wouldn't the government be spending less money, thus pushing back the default date by at least a few days beyond Oct. 17?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:09:56 AM »

Government doesn't work!! See??
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

Obama is partly to blame because he has negotiated with these terrorists in the past. He has emboldened them and reinforced their behavior. It didn't take a clinical psychologist to see this coming.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

I'm debating whether to sell off my portfolio this afternoon. My head says yes, heart says no. I guess well know in a few weeks. The bad thing is, if the market crashes, I will lose thousands. The good thing is, stocks will be cheap.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »

$1 trillion platinum coin time.
old dog
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »

Vote against increasing the debt limit to end the war in Iraq!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »

I'm debating whether to sell off my portfolio this afternoon. My head says yes, heart says no. I guess well know in a few weeks. The bad thing is, if the market crashes, I will lose thousands. The good thing is, stocks will be cheap.

I'm not selling anything.  Mostly because I am in safe, dividend yielding stocks.  I do have a buy order limit that I am hoping I get though.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »

You can make money when the market goes down........

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »

Or Social Security temporarily forgives $1 trillion in debt.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »

Imagine if Obama demanded that any increase in the debt ceiling be accompanied by massive tax hikes for the rich. Sure, it would seem crazy, but having the party that won the Presidential, House, and Senate make demands is less crazy than the party that lose all 3 making the demands.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »

Sound like major Wall Street voices are begging the GOP to "put the debt ceiling gun down."

They can't put the genie back in the bottle.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »

Imagine if Obama demanded that any increase in the debt ceiling be accompanied by massive tax hikes for the rich. Sure, it would seem crazy, but having the party that won the Presidential, House, and Senate make demands is less crazy than the party that lose all 3 making the demands.

The Democrats didn't win the House, and don't go talking about the Dems won the PV for the House.  We all know turnout is dependent upon whether a race is competitive or not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »

The Democrats didn't win the House, and don't go talking about the Dems won the PV for the House.  We all know turnout is dependent upon whether a race is competitive or not.

People turnout in a Presidential election mainly to vote for President. And while the Democratic House popular vote didn't do as well as Obama, Democrats did win the House Popular Vote.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »

People turnout in a Presidential election mainly to vote for President. And while the Democratic House popular vote didn't do as well as Obama, Democrats did win the House Popular Vote.

And all 50 states plus DC were battlegrounds where voting would make a difference in who won your state?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »

That's a bit of a stretch in a presidential election year, especially when most states also had something else, whether it was Senate, governor, local elections, initiatives, etc., to vote for too.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »

The national PV is of course a sheer nonsensical fantasy number, as my vote for the Democratic congressman in the 2012 elections is of course not a vote for 218 or more Democratic congressmen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »

The national PV is of course a sheer nonsensical fantasy number, as my vote for the Democratic congressman in the 2012 elections is of course not a vote for 218 or more Democratic congressmen.

True, but all that should balance out.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

Regardless of how you feel about the House, the Dems did unambiguously win the Presidency and the Senate, and neither of them routinely use hostage tactics to acheive what they what they want. Why do you think it is that the GOP routinely takes the nation hostage and the Democrats don't?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »

That's a bit of a stretch in a presidential election year, especially when most states also had something else, whether it was Senate, governor, local elections, initiatives, etc., to vote for too.

Most is not all.  South Carolina had nothing to vote for.  No statewide races, no competitive federal races, and only a few State House of Representatives races that were not decided by who won the primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 11:40:41 PM »

Most is not all.  South Carolina had nothing to vote for.  No statewide races, no competitive federal races, and only a few State House of Representatives races that were not decided by who won the primary.

There are a lot more Democratic vote sinks than Republican ones.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »

Actually, the reverse is true.  In 2012, the GOP won 39 more seats by 10% or more than the Democrats did in 2012.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 03:54:10 AM »

Actually, the reverse is true.  In 2012, the GOP won 39 more seats by 10% or more than the Democrats did in 2012.

If you look at PVI (which admittedly is the Presidential result and not the Congressional result, which is somewhat different), there are over twice as many districts that are D+20 or more than R+20 or more. And this is despite the fact that there's more room for an extreme Republican district since Obama did win the last 2 elections.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »

Actually, the reverse is true.  In 2012, the GOP won 39 more seats by 10% or more than the Democrats did in 2012.

If you look at PVI (which admittedly is the Presidential result and not the Congressional result, which is somewhat different), there are over twice as many districts that are D+20 or more than R+20 or more. And this is despite the fact that there's more room for an extreme Republican district since Obama did win the last 2 elections.

Except in Nebraska or Maine, people generally aren't going to be thinking whether or not their vote for President will matter based on who the partisan balance of their CD, but of their State.  So even if their district might be competitive if it were an open seat, an R or D incumbent with a laughable opponent will tend to induce voter apathy unless the state as a whole is competitive.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies