Vatican offical: Withhold Communion from Pelosi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:56:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Vatican offical: Withhold Communion from Pelosi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vatican offical: Withhold Communion from Pelosi  (Read 417 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

While in theory he's right, I oppose the practice of denying communion simply on the basis that I know my own political views might rub someone who followed Catholic doctrine exactly the wrong way, and it'd set a precedent of denying people the Eucharist for other political stands they might have.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Pope Francis would give communion to Pelosi.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

What a moron.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »

Well, they did it to Paul Ryan.  No reason they can't do it to Pelosi.

Not that I think politicians should be denied communion for the political views they hold, be they left or right.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »

Well, they did it to Paul Ryan.  No reason they can't do it to Pelosi.

Did they ever do it to Ryan? I haven't been able to find that any bishops did (and certainly Ryan's own bishop didn't, that much I can guarantee).

The thing to consider here is that the Church's own guidelines for when someone should be refused communion are somewhat vague. Thus you have a scattered set of bishops who are refusing it while most are not. This is subsidiarity in practice: each bishop is applying the rules to his own diocese.

Whether or not the practice of refusing communion is a good idea on the other hand, I think it comes down to intent and whether or not Pelosi is cognizant of the reality that it doesn't make much sense to believe in the Church's teachings on abortion and believe it should be a private decision not open to government restriction, or whether she is well-meaning and simply tragically misguided. I would imagine one (or several) of the bishops must have had a conversation with her about this over the years before Cardinal Burke made this statement. If there is any doubt about her intentions, presumably the bishops should err on the side of giving her the benefit. At least that's my reading of the vague guidelines. Some may disagree and indeed some bishops seem to disagree with each other.

Still, I don't think Burke's statement is actually binding and I think from reading the article he is only advising the bishops to withhold communion from Nancy Pelosi in their dioceses but the bishops themselves still have the final say.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2013, 12:08:54 AM by Scott »

Worse.  He was denied communion and asked to leave the building during Easter Mass.

EDIT: Just realized that was a joke article. Tongue  He wasn't denied communion, but he was lectured for his views toward the poor by Catholic spiritual leaders.  Different thing, I know.

I mean, not only do I think it's wrong, but it makes very little logical sense to deny elected officials communion for their stance on political issues.  I don't particularly consider Paul Ryan's welfare views something Christ would have shared, but why should elected officials be denied communion for stepping out of line with the Church simply because they are elected officials?  Is it because Ryan and Pelosi are vocal about their respective views, or is it that they're held to a higher standard as Representatives than average citizens are?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »

The Daily Currant is satire, unfortunately. Like a less obvious version of the Onion. Look at the quotes they attribute to Ryan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies