PRC GDP/capita in 2012 at the Prefecture level
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:05:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  PRC GDP/capita in 2012 at the Prefecture level
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PRC GDP/capita in 2012 at the Prefecture level  (Read 12913 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »

PPP comparisons are useless. You can't adjust the price of international inputs- imported machinery or a ticket from San Francisco to Beijing, particularly in an export-oriented economy, the utility of PPP comparisons is virtually nil. The Chinese economy remains about half the size of the American.

Well, I want to be clear about my post.  I just was noting that I predicted the 2011 ICP will push up the PRC PPP numbers to a point where in PPP terms the PRC will be very close if not already not larger than USA.  As of yesterday this did seems to have taken place.  I did not mean for my post to indicate that I agree with the statement that "China to overtake US economy" since there are many definitions of what overtake means.

As for PPP, I think it is a very good way to compare standard of living and a reasonable way to measure, within limit, the sizes of economies within the context of total value of commercial output.  I think it does not measure economic power where I do agree using exchange rate methods are closer.  So I would say that there is a case to be made that PRC economy is larger than USA the economic power of USA is still significantly larger than PRC.  Of course even in that context I think the exchange rate method of comparison is flawed.  My best example is that for a period of several months the dollar yen rate in 1995 was such so that the exchange rate GDP of Japan was actually larger than the USA.  No one in their right mind would have argued that the economic power of Japan was greater than USA in 1995.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

BTW.  I found a 2013 version of the same map

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length