Can some Canadian poster please explain to me.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:20:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Can some Canadian poster please explain to me.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can some Canadian poster please explain to me....  (Read 3019 times)
Nichlemn

« on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

Polls of Canadian presidential preferences have consistently shown a strong Democratic edge, even in Alberta. I kind of have a hard time picturing Alberta voting Democratic in practice though.
Nichlemn

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »

Polls of Canadian presidential preferences have consistently shown a strong Democratic edge, even in Alberta. I kind of have a hard time picturing Alberta voting Democratic in practice though.

Calgary, Canada's "most conservative city" has a Muslim mayor.  A Republican would need to win Calgary to win Alberta, and I can't picture a Muslim getting elected in the US anywhere a Republican would win. 

What about in somewhere like Orange County?

A big factor would be why exactly Alberta is voting in US Presidential elections. If it was suddenly thrown into the US for no reason now, health care and a few other issues would probably make it Democratic. But there would have to be some reason. If it had become a US state in 1867, I'd imagine the lack of policy influence from the rest of Canada would have made it vote similarly to states with similar demographics and economies, making it GOP. If it were to become a US state in the near future, it'd probably be due to secession as a result of a left-wing federal government doing something like oil nationalisation, which would probably prime voters into voting for the more "pro-oil" American party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies