Can some Canadian poster please explain to me.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:22:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Can some Canadian poster please explain to me.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can some Canadian poster please explain to me....  (Read 2997 times)
adma
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »

In Alberta, the Conservatives hold all seats federally, bar one NDP seat (which contains the university). At a provincial level, the governing party for the past roughly 40 years is the PC (Progressive conservative) Party (in the US, you'd call them the RINO Party, hence why I didn't capitalise the "C"). They were challenged by Wildrose, which formed the official opposition, and has some links with the federal Conservatives (although some PCers may also have some links to federal Conservatives in some parts of the province, however my understanding is that the stronger links are Wildrose to federal Conservative).

I *would* capitalize the "C", because that's how they label themselves--and even w/the rise of Wildrose, the Alberta PCs still have more than just "some" links to their federal compatriots (who, despite all "ex-Reform" appearances, still operate on a Lougheedian grand-coalition principle--otherwise, their shares'd be anywhere from 10 to 20 points lower if not more)
adma
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:19 PM »

Calgary, Canada's "most conservative city" has a Muslim mayor.  A Republican would need to win Calgary to win Alberta, and I can't picture a Muslim getting elected in the US anywhere a Republican would win. 

Re winning Calgary: not necessarily, esp. if the GOP gets huge compensating rural pluralities elsewhere in the province--or, for that matter, if a Jason Kenney had some multicult-friendly influence on GOP strategizing.

And the first Muslim in congress, Keith Ellison of Minnesota, was first elected in 2006--the same year that Tim Pawlenty was reelected governor, and two years before Norm Coleman was *nearly* reelected Senator.
adma
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:09:14 PM »

Many of those who vote for the Wildrose (including the leader herself) are socially progressive (in favour of gay marriage, pro choice, etc).  So, they may not vote GOP.  Trying to determine Albertan's American voting intentions is not as simple as trying to line up the parties.  The Wildrose party in itself is probably one of the most difficult parties to define in terms of the right/left spectrum (other than maybe the PQ).

Then again, that aspect of Wildrose has some commonality w/the Ron Paul wing of the GOP...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies