Obama won't negotiate with Congress on debt ceiling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:59:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama won't negotiate with Congress on debt ceiling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Obama won't negotiate with Congress on debt ceiling  (Read 4770 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

How wonderful it is to have a president who negotiates with foreign dictators, but not Americans who love this country dearly.
In the Republican caucus? Dream on. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »

More debt is not an option for our nation. Congress has a duty to keep our budget balanced.

You're rather out of touch with reality, aren't you?  No matter what, no matter which party is elected, the budget will not be balanced and we will have more debt.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

More debt is not an option for our nation. Congress has a duty to keep our budget balanced.

You're rather out of touch with reality, aren't you?  No matter what, no matter which party is elected, the budget will not be balanced and we will have more debt.

We did it from 1995-2000. Most of those years we had a great economy too. Spending cuts, low taxes, and road tolls are just a few ways to help with this. It is our duty to keep our budget balanced. In the words of Obama, "this kind of debt is unpatriotic." What we need to do is raise our debt ceiling from $14.3 to $16.7 trillion followed by $40 billion cuts each year until our budget is balanced.
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2013, 01:15:49 PM by hopper »

I get why he wouldn't want to engage, but it sure would be nice to see him actually try to seriously negotiate something of promise. You know, on anything.

I refuse to believe that House Republicans today are harder to deal with than they were under Newt Gingrich.
Yeah but the difference is the House Republicans elected under Gingrich knew Gingrich was the coach(like a sports team) of the House Republicans. They House Republicans elected in 1994 knew they had to concessions because the President was a Dem. The Republicans elected in 2010 don't care what Boehner says they just do what they want to do. They don't like Obama either and neither do some current House D's care for Obama's work style but they do not want to say anything negative about Obama because he is in their party.
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »

Obama doesn't seem to understand the idea that Republicans are so much better at playing chicken than him. It happened with the Sequester, it will happen again.
The Sequester was The Obama's administration idea not House Republicans even Democrats know that.
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »

The fact that Republicans threatened to default to get some petty political points in on Obama is why the nation's credit rating got downgraded a couple years ago.  Why in the world should Obama let them do it again?

Remember, the entire world economy depends on the U.S. not defaulting on its debts.  Even a spoiled 2-year-old should know better than to try to put terms on that.
It wasn't about scoring a few cheap political points in 2011. I don't why you would even think that.
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »

I get why he wouldn't want to engage, but it sure would be nice to see him actually try to seriously negotiate something of promise. You know, on anything.

I refuse to believe that House Republicans today are harder to deal with than they were under Newt Gingrich.

The Republicans weren't controlled (or at least, weren't as controlled) by an ideology-driven subgroup in the 90s.  Nowadays, primary challenges are more of a lingering concern for Republican legislators who try to reach across the aisle even a little bit, thereby discouraging much bipartisanship at all.  And, as long as the Republican position is "repeal healthcare reform even though it's your signature accomplishment and we lost the election by a clear margin last year," Obama shouldn't have to bend over backwards for them.  Not on that.

Until they get over the fact that Obamacare is not going to be repealed (which they won't for fear of losing their seats next election), this is the way things will be, unfortunately.  And if Pete Sessions has reason to worry about a primary defeat, so does everyone else in the GOP.
This is true basically your whole post. I don't think House Republicans are being unreasonable about the debt ceiling but on immigration reform and gun control they are. Gun: "Background Checks" won't be passed anytime soon because of the Colorado recalls.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

I'm laughing at the title of this thread.  Mostly because Captain Caveman always caves.  He'll negotiate.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »

The entire notion of the debt ceiling is patently ridiculous. Why does Congress have to vote to allow spending on things they have already authorized? Debt doesn't just get added on its own- it's from appropriations that are passed by Congress. They've already implicitly agreed to create the additional debt. I'd argue that Section 4 of the Fourteenth Amendment even makes the debt ceiling directly unconstitutional.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »

The entire notion of the debt ceiling is patently ridiculous. Why does Congress have to vote to allow spending on things they have already authorized? Debt doesn't just get added on its own- it's from appropriations that are passed by Congress. They've already implicitly agreed to create the additional debt. I'd argue that Section 4 of the Fourteenth Amendment even makes the debt ceiling directly unconstitutional.

This is why we need a Constitutional Amendment requiring a balanced federal budget each year.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

We did it from 1995-2000. Most of those years we had a great economy too. Spending cuts, low taxes, and road tolls are just a few ways to help with this. It is our duty to keep our budget balanced. In the words of Obama, "this kind of debt is unpatriotic." What we need to do is raise our debt ceiling from $14.3 to $16.7 trillion followed by $40 billion cuts each year until our budget is balanced.

What rot.  Only tax increases have any salubrious effect on the deficit or for that matter 'the economy'.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »

This is why we need a Constitutional Amendment requiring a balanced federal budget each year.

Ths is laughable and it would cripple the economy.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »

What rot.  Only tax increases have any salubrious effect on the deficit or for that matter 'the economy'.

Opebo,

If you taxed everyone at 100% for 20 years we'd still be in debt. Taxation is a laughable solution to balancing budgets. Not spending as much is the best way to save money. It's so simple people miss it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

You'd argue wrong.  The debt limit is perfectly constitutional if a bit cumbersome, but at least it is less cumbersome than what preceded it, which was that every individual issuance of Federal debt, along with its terms and interest rates, had to be approved by Congress.  Still , if the Republicans were truly interested in doing something serious about excessive spending, they could propose a repeal of the Impoundment Control Act of 1974.  That act limits a President's authority to not spend funds that have been appropriated.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »

Barfbag you clearly have no idea what the debt ceiling is or what raising it does. Please read up on that and then return. Thanks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

Barfbag you clearly have no idea what the debt ceiling is or what raising it does. Please read up on that and then return. Thanks.

Fixed.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »

Fixed.

Guys,

The United States debt ceiling or debt limit is a legislative restriction on the amount of national debt that can be issued by the Treasury.  The debt ceiling does not actually restrict deficits, but only restrains the Treasury from paying for expenditures that have already been incurred. I would agree with Obama on raising the debt ceiling to $16,700,000,000 in exchange for future spending cuts and an agreement to pay for debt already incurred.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »

They are harder to deal with than they were under Gingrich.  But, by the same token, Clinton was a better negotiator than Obama.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »

Fixed.

Guys,

The United States debt ceiling or debt limit is a legislative restriction on the amount of national debt that can be issued by the Treasury.  The debt ceiling does not actually restrict deficits, but only restrains the Treasury from paying for expenditures that have already been incurred. I would agree with Obama on raising the debt ceiling to $16,700,000,000 in exchange for future spending cuts and an agreement to pay for debt already incurred.

That's pretty much the same thing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

How wonderful it is to have a president who negotiates with foreign dictators, but not Americans who love this country dearly.

Comments like that is why most of the blue avatars here don't even take you seriously.  Half the time you probably don't even take yourself seriously as you write these things.

I state a fact. Obama bowed to a foreign dictator a few years ago, but according to your thread he isn't going to negotiate with Republicans on the debt ceiling. You posted this not me.

I was unaware that bowing to someone is a negotiation.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »

Comments like that is why most of the blue avatars here don't even take you seriously.  Half the time you probably don't even take yourself seriously as you write these things.

I state a fact. Obama bowed to a foreign dictator a few years ago, but according to your thread he isn't going to negotiate with Republicans on the debt ceiling. You posted this not me.

No it's more like worshiping.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »

OK, then what was the connection between the bowing and him negotiating with our enemies and you "stat[ing] a fact"?

Your argument went something like this.

barfbag: Cats can cause allergies among some people.
Scott: criticizes barfbag's allegation.
barfbag: I state a fact.  Cats are cute.

Sure, the subject was the same, but what did that have to do with the argument at hand?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »

Barfbag, do I need to post the photo of George W Bush holding hands with the Saudi King, who is also a foreign dictator?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »

This is what this thread has become.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

LOL, when haven't we been best pals with some foreign dictators?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies