Horseshoe Theory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Horseshoe Theory
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Horseshoe Theory  (Read 5607 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »

In 20th century practice it certainly looked that way at times, no?  Ultimately though, true far leftism, IMO anyway, resembles a very extreme Netherlands... Whereas the far right looks like a more (effectively) restrictive Saudi Arabia. 

These places would not be similar.

But what use is a conception of the far left that doesn't exist in the world and will likely never come to any real fruition? It makes more sense to me to disavow the existence of a far left if that's how it will be.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »

In 20th century practice it certainly looked that way at times, no?  Ultimately though, true far leftism, IMO anyway, resembles a very extreme Netherlands... Whereas the far right looks like a more (effectively) restrictive Saudi Arabia. 

These places would not be similar.

But what use is a conception of the far left that doesn't exist in the world and will likely never come to any real fruition? It makes more sense to me to disavow the existence of a far left if that's how it will be.

Though Saudi Arabia is definitely the extreme right wing. Denmark could be the opposite and though there are conservative policies in Denmark, there are some liberal ones in Saudi Arabia.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »

Real existing planned economies have been more similar to real existing fascist states than to European social democracies, yes.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2013, 04:10:28 PM by traininthedistance »

I've always thought of horseshoe theory as Moderate Hero propaganda rather than libertarian propaganda; at least that was the context in which I first heard it.  Certainly one can make the case, and I would agree with said case, that hardcore libertarianism would devolve into the same sort of oppression that one sees in dictatorial Marxist and fascist societies.

Anyway, I want to think it's bunkum, and I'm well aware that it elides a whole lot of very important differences between the extreme left and the extreme right, but then I see some of our resident leftists post things such as:

and

yes, absolutely, I'd love to see such a self-confident left faction with this type of power and determination to use it.  such is why I have a hard time condemning the actions of the Cruzists from a purely bourgeois-moralistic ("you're holding the country hostage!") POV.

...and, well, it becomes harder for me to dismiss it out of hand.

(ETA: Also, cogendism.  How could I forget?)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »

Horsesh*t Theory, more like.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »

I've always thought of horseshoe theory as Moderate Hero propaganda rather than libertarian propaganda; at least that was the context in which I first heard it.

It's more like Cold War propaganda. Hannah Arendt came up with a particularly clever version.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies