Labor Party presidential primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 06:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party presidential primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who do you support?
Sen. Napoleon

Bacon King

Not a member of the Labor Party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Labor Party presidential primary  (Read 3571 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »

This poll will run for five days.

Bacon King.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2013, 10:25:45 PM by Senator Maxwell »

[1] DemPGH

Agree with him or disagree with him, he'll do the job.
deliriumipa
sirnick
YaBB God
France
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

I kinda feel like Napoleon had his chance and now I want some Bacon [King].
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »

What makes people think Bacon King is in this for Atlasia as opposed to his inane little pleasure at poking holes in the game?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »

Nota
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:38 AM »

What makes people think Bacon King is in this for Atlasia as opposed to his inane little pleasure at poking holes in the game?

Sure, we all know by now that BK enjoys poking things in holes. But can you really blame him? I mean, even I do occasionally.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:18:37 AM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »

The difference is, I'm not publishing a 2,000-word tabloid piece full of bullshit accusations that stretch the truth on a whole series of fabricated points. I'm expressing concern that the mastermind behind Operation Rim Job is a serious contender for president.

There was recently a push to label the perpetrators terrorists. I don't think it's being negative to call out someone who can be lumped in with that group.

Smiley

And kitteh, poking holes in the game may be well and good, but Atlasia doesn't respond with the same satisfied moans you'll find elsewhere. Tongue
deliriumipa
sirnick
YaBB God
France
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »

Fight! Fight! Fight!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »

I beg your pardon? I love Atlasia. I've consistently been partially active in this game for over eight years now; does that not say something about how I feel about this game?

Now, I certainly engage in some shenanigans from time to time, but I've never done anything that could be fairly considered "poking holes in the game." Sure, sometimes I'll file an annoying court case to make a point, but those points are always perfectly valid. I'd love to know what "holes" I've ever "poked" here.

I love Atlasia and I've already proposed serious reform to make this game more enjoyable for everyone, with many more proposals coming later in the campaign. I don't understand how you could genuinely believe my campaign is not serious. If you insist on making these attacks, I'd at least ask that you provide some sort of evidence for your assertions rather than throwing out baseless claims.

I'm expressing concern that the mastermind behind Operation Rim Job is a serious contender for president.

I'm the mastermind behind Operation Rim Job? News to me! Tongue I had absolutely zero involvement with it.

Xahar hired the Law Office of BACON KINGMAN, ATTORNEY AT LAW to write the Deathstitution, yes, but I'll literally do any legal work for any Atlasian if they ask me, and that's been my explicit policy for months. I helped Xahar, sure, but I've helped dozens of Atlasians do everything from writing bills to determining election results, from arguing in court to researching old statutes. I don't agree with NM-AM but my door is always open and I make no exceptions to my policies of helping any Atlasians who ask.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »

Is that last part of your answer supposed to be reassuring? I guess you're defending yourself from the worst of it, but just so I'm clear, are you saying that you didn't take any initiative on your own with this scheme?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

Well, in that case, if good judgment is a desired quality in a commander in chief. . . Yeah.

If someone knocks on my door and asks me to help them do something illegal or dreadfully unsound, I think my responsibility is to say, "sorry, I cannot help you."
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »

The difference is, I'm not publishing a 2,000-word tabloid piece full of bullshit accusations that stretch the truth on a whole series of fabricated points.

Which is why you come across as an insatiable twat in the process, Hagrid, because you are trying to be both an asshole and serious. Pick one, and best stick to the real issues, lest we yet again define them for you due to the lack of ability of you guys to ever run on something of actual substance. This isn't a pretty color for you.

Did you give Inks your password? All I'm waiting for now is the fifty follow-up questions. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »

I don't have any other questions, Griffin, because honestly, people know better. I've had presents falling into my lap from folks in your camp almost every day for the last week. I'm not calling you guys out for being "avowed Laborites." I'm calling you out on a point of contention that is serious for people across almost every party in this game—or I wouldn't be getting the "please find us an out" messages.

You can think I'm an asshole for pushing the point all you want, but the fact is, a big swath of this country does care about Rim Job, and a big swath of this country will not want to elect a president who goes out of his way to disrupt the game. If that's a controversial point to make, then this country has much deeper problems than we thought.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »

I don't have any other questions, Griffin, because honestly, people know better. I've had presents falling into my lap from folks in your camp almost every day for the last week. I'm not calling you guys out for being "avowed Laborites." I'm calling you out on a point of contention that is serious for people across almost every party in this game—or I wouldn't be getting the "please find us an out" messages.

Glad to know that it's your lap that still controls that hemisphere: at least you're being honest. It also comes as no surprise that some would not have the left or Labor's best interests at heart and would sell it to the highest bidder in a heartbeat. This is Atlasia, of course.

You can think I'm an asshole for pushing the point all you want, but the fact is, a big swath of this country does care about Rim Job, and a big swath of this country will not want to elect a president who goes out of his way to disrupt the game. If that's a controversial point to make, then this country has much deeper problems than we thought.

Well thank goodness I can still think that! The fact of the matter is that Bacon King has more legislative experience in the tip of his pecker than most people in this game could ever hope to possess. As President, I am sure that he would be innately focused on the act of actual governance and would have many other aspects of the game to tend to during his Presidency. He understands the laws and has used that knowledge in the past to further the quality of the game. You can attempt to argue that Rimjob accomplished nothing or was detrimental, but guess what? Most of the dialogue in this game over the last three months has been centered around that and how cruddy the regional system (that is worshiped with ideological fervor by most of the right) has become. It has accomplished many things: the Senate appears to be headed toward regional consolidation as we speak, for instance. Smiley

Bacon King has served as a one-man system of checks and balances in this game. That terrible excuse of a constitution in the Pacific and the resulting acts are prime examples of what happens (and what needs to happen) whenever we as citizens, regions and a country allow for such sub-par governance. When people write half-ass laws and constitutions, we all get half-ass governance. You can try to shoulder the blame on us or whomever you wish with what the current actions in the Pacific are (even though it's solely NM-AM's actions now), but the fact remains that they are all brought on by a terrible constitution that nobody cared to read in the first place. Bacon King's attempts to rectify the situation would have produced a more friendly result had the Supreme Court not issued a biased ruling. Now the region appears to be stuck with that terrible governing document and more people continue to pour into a region that cannot be saved and has for years been a zombie bastion for various power-brokers who resided there.

Statute, constitutional law and any other form of governing documents should be subject to poking and prodding in order to improve the quality of this game's policy-making. When people actually have to worry about their legislation and proposals being used to someone else's advantage, then it tends to produce a higher quality of discussion, deliberation and statute. Do you think that any piece of legislation that I crafted in the IDS wasn't explicitly considered in each little detail, so as to not leave loopholes for exploitation in such a polarized and competitive region? Do your jobs and do them well, I say.

The fact that you would insult Bacon King's expertise - seeing as how he is one of the most brilliant legal scholars in this game - shows that the Federalists continue to pursue an empty approach to governance. No clearly defined policy, no legitimate points to be made about the opposition, no real skill at trolling and no real fun. The right only reacts to what we do and have done because they have no real ideas of their own. Please stop hating because we tend to do it all better.

Also, Nix knew about Rimjob and he was elected, so your final point is not valid, Hagrid.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2013, 03:33:10 PM by Bacon King »

Is that last part of your answer supposed to be reassuring? I guess you're defending yourself from the worst of it, but just so I'm clear, are you saying that you didn't take any initiative on your own with this scheme?

That's correct. I fail to see the problem here- it's not like anything would have happened differently if someone else wrote it for them.

Well, in that case, if good judgment is a desired quality in a commander in chief. . . Yeah.

If someone knocks on my door and asks me to help them do something illegal or dreadfully unsound, I think my responsibility is to say, "sorry, I cannot help you."

So would I, if this was the real world. But this is Atlasia. Nobody actually gets hurt by anyone's actions and if you somehow think otherwise then you should probably reevaluate your life's priorities.

But seriously though, you're attacking my judgement? Heaven forbid I try to be helpful to everyone! So terrible of me, right? I'm such a monster!

I don't agree with Xahar's actions and I find them despicable. The fact that I help people I disagree with has absolutely zero bearing on my conduct as an elected official and I have years of elected experience to back that up. Seriously, if you're going to be so insulting as to attack my judgement, why not criticize something from my actual record instead of making a big hullabaloo about something I did not materially affect in any way?

(edit- I feel like I should apologize for taking this personally so sorry if I'm being to negative here or something but I honestly find your attacks genuinely offensive)

(double edit- Adam just said everything better than I could have so please read above me if you skipped over his post)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »

I have never talked to Bacon King, but from what I have seen he is an intelligent and humorous poster. That being said, I have been part of this game for more than two years now and seen BK in various Atlasian offices and functions. Unfortunately, the issue of inactivity has come up on more than one occasion during this time. While I have no doubts that BK would be more than smart enough for the job, I honestly don't believe that he will be as active as necessary for four consecutive months.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »

I have never talked to Bacon King, but from what I have seen he is an intelligent and humorous poster. That being said, I have been part of this game for more than two years now and seen BK in various Atlasian offices and functions. Unfortunately, the issue of inactivity has come up on more than one occasion during this time. While I have no doubts that BK would be more than smart enough for the job, I honestly don't believe that he will be as active as necessary for four consecutive months.

>concerned about Bacon King's level of activity
>supporting Spamage
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »

>supporting Spamage

If you had been part of Atlasia for a longer period of time, you would see that the two situations aren't quite comparable. Just ask some of the older players.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2013, 04:02:38 PM by Bacon King »

I have never talked to Bacon King, but from what I have seen he is an intelligent and humorous poster.

Cheesy thank you kindly.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I certainly understand your concerns, but I've learned not to run for elections if I won't have time to hold office. For slightly over two months now I've been seeing a councilor specifically for improving my time management skills and she's been amazingly helpful. You see, shirking on my commitments isn't just a problem I've had in Atlasia, it's been a pervasive problem throughout my life (and was a significant factor in my suicide attempt last spring).

Of course, I'm not asking you to take me at my word. I simply ask that in the month ahead you use this campaign as evidence for my activity level. I think you can safely assume that if I run an active campaign, I think you can safely assume I'll have an active presidency. And if I don't run an active campaign, please don't vote for me! Tongue If elected I will have an active Presidency, and if there's even the hint in the next month that I won't have enough time to be a good President then I'll drop out of the race before inactivity causes any problems. Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »

>supporting Spamage

If you had been part of Atlasia for a longer period of time, you would see that the two situations aren't quite comparable. Just ask some of the older players.

Yeah, you guys really don't want to bring up the issue of activity with your presumptive candidate (unless your party brass is organizing yet another primary coup like they did in June). You're not going to get away with painting a rosy picture of why your candidate gets to excuse away his inactivity and demonize the other side for the same issue.

Again, why can't the Federalists articulate something of their own, rather than react to and attack the opposition? That's the real question that voters should be asking.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »

>supporting Spamage

Yeah, you guys really don't want to bring up the issue of activity with your presumptive candidate (unless your party brass is organizing yet another primary coup like they did in June). You're not going to get away with painting a rosy picture of why your candidate gets to excuse away his inactivity and demonize the other side for the same issue.

Again, why can't the Federalists articulate something of their own, rather than react to and attack the opposition? That's the real question that voters should be asking.

I would kindly like to remind you that it was your side that brought up the issue of activity and used it in mean-spirited attacks against Spamage. That's why I find it kind of ironic that we are not allowed to raise the issue of BK's activity levels in the past. As I said, ask someone who has been around for a couple of years if you want to know more. I hope BK is right, though. Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

That's correct. I fail to see the problem here- it's not like anything would have happened differently if someone else wrote it for them.

Great. As long as I have it on record that you were not giving orders or laying out the step-by-step approach. Things should get fun. Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

>supporting Spamage

I would kindly like to remind you that it was your side that brought up the issue of activity and used it in mean-spirited attacks against Spamage. That's why I find it kind of ironic that we are not allowed to raise the issue of BK's activity levels in the past. As I said, ask someone who has been around for a couple of years if you want to know more. I hope BK is right, though. Smiley

Mmhmm, mmhmm, mmhmm. So by your own logic, you're no different than TNF as you're being just as nasty. Notice how none of the candidates in this race have initiated the discussion of inactivity thus far? Candidates can't control what their constituents say or ask.

And in case I wasn't heard:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

>supporting Spamage

Hi! I'm an older player, as are many of the members of my party.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies