Majority Disapproval For Bush on Social Security.

(1/2) > >>

J.R. Brown:
GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- George W. Bush's ratings for handling Social Security have dropped in recent weeks, and now a majority of Americans disapprove of the way he is handling that issue. Additionally, as debate on the Social Security system has intensified, Americans now perceive less urgency for reform: fewer say major changes are needed to the system within the next two years than did so in January. The public is divided over whether the greater risk is to take a private investment approach to Social Security reform or rely on the current system to pay full benefits when workers retire. Bush's overall job approval rating is holding steady at 52%.

According to the Feb. 25-27 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, 35% of Americans approve and 56% disapprove of the way Bush is handling the issue of Social Security. That compares with a 43% approval rating immediately following the State of the Union address, in which Bush made the case for significant reforms to the system. So far this year, Bush has failed to gain majority public support for his approach to the Social Security issue. 

Back in January, 41% of Americans approved of GW's social security plan, why has support deminished over the past month?

John Dibble:
Quote from: Rutzay on March 02, 2005, 04:57:03 PM

Back in January, 41% of Americans approved of GW's social security plan, why has support deminished over the past month?

My guess would be the reactionary articles and whatnot damning Bush's plan, even if many are just guesswork or don't show a good understanding and knowledge of the facts. When it comes to economic matters and the like, most people don't know much, so all you have to do to convince them that something is good or bad is to have an argument that sounds smart enough to be true.

Moooooo:
He pushed it on the American people to fast.  Better luck next time.

Alcon:
I have a distinct feeling that a lot of people do not really understand what social security is and how it works.

Dave from Michigan:
Quote from: Alcon on March 02, 2005, 06:52:59 PM

I have a distinct feeling that a lot of people do not really understand what social security is and how it works.

exactly,  most people I've talked to know nothing about it 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page