Opinion of Sigmund Freud
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Sigmund Freud
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of Sigmund Freud  (Read 3076 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »

I'm just curious. I'm studying some of his stuff in my anthropology of religion class.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:16:07 AM »

He certainly had his flaws, but his contributions to humanity's knowledge are invaluable. I've always found the trichotomy of ego, id and superego extremely useful to the comprehension of human history and political processes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »

Leszek Kołakowski once described him as Sigmund Fraud. I'm apt to agree.

For Lucian Freud, on the other hand, there are no words of praise too effusive.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »

Perhaps the most intellectually successful charlatan ever.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Bit of a huckster. A talented one, and one who paid his dues intellectually speaking, but even so...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »

Imagine if in the 21st century, a bearded, bespectacled intellectual were to claim that children are innately obsessed with sex, particularly with their own parents.  He'd probably be lynched, figuratively speaking.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

An imaginative fiction writer who was pretty good at fashioning a post-religious myth system for the "modernist" age.  In that capacity, his influence endures (especially in certain humanities corners of the academy), and is only somewhat undeserved.

Obviously, his claims have less than zero empirical value, and are at best the psychological profession's equivalent of phlogiston.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »

Wonderful man.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

The only form of science that I've never really understood from a methodological standpoint.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »

Seems like most of his stuff was the equivalent of evolutionary psychology today. "I observe something after the fact, therefore my biases are correct."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »

He would just be a forgotten internet commentator on the Atlas forum today.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »

He did a lot to advance psychology, but was also a drug addict and had some really crazy ideas.  I vote HP overall.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »

The only form of science that I've never really understood from a methodological standpoint.

There are many words you could use to describe Freud's work, but "science" is not one of them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »

There are many words you could use to describe Freud's work, but "science" is not one of them.

And yet open any book published in the 1960s or 1970s, nay even a contemporary psychology textbook, and his word is treated as gospel, or at least Important. One does not become Freud simply by making some random assertions, however fascinating they may be. There must have been something in there to cause so many to give him such a high place.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »

And yet open any book published in the 1960s or 1970s, nay even a contemporary psychology textbook, and his word is treated as gospel, or at least Important. One does not become Freud simply by making some random assertions, however fascinating they may be. There must have been something in there to cause so many to give him such a high place.

Well, like traininthedistance said, it's an in many ways fascinating and compelling modernist myth system.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »

None of those things you've just said are remotely true... the 60s and 70s were when Freud intellectually collapsed.

I agree that there was something in his ideas, they fitted into all sort of early 20th Century intuitions about (at the very least) sex, family and the struggle to be 'moral'. When those intuitions disappeared, little of substance was found in Freud.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

Imagine if in the 21st century, a bearded, bespectacled intellectual were to claim that children are innately obsessed with sex, particularly with their own parents.  He'd probably be lynched, figuratively speaking.

Freud established that children from about second grade until puberty are asexual, and that any attempt to have sex with children in latency is abuse. The preceding Oedipal stage is something to grow out of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_stage
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »

An imaginative fiction writer who was pretty good at fashioning a post-religious myth system for the "modernist" age.  In that capacity, his influence endures (especially in certain humanities corners of the academy), and is only somewhat undeserved.

Obviously, his claims have less than zero empirical value, and are at best the psychological profession's equivalent of phlogiston.
Much superior to "postmodernist" age. At least a a myth is grounded in something unlike the bullsh**t we have to deal with today where words change their definitions & ideas mean different things depending on the speaker & time they are spoken.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:02 AM »

Much superior to "postmodernist" age. At least a a myth is grounded in something unlike the bullsh**t we have to deal with today where words change their definitions & ideas mean different things depending on the speaker & time they are spoken.

That's how language has always worked. It just wasn't weaponized as openly before.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies