Social Security Vote Delayed Until 2006

<< < (2/5) > >>

The Duke:
Quote from: Frodo on March 02, 2005, 02:53:13 AM

'zactly, and i hope that the leadership of the Democratic Party learns a lesson from this battle -if you stand up for your principles, the other side will buckle.   apply this lesson to other issues on which Republicans are vulnerable, like the environment, health care, and so forth, and we will be well on our way to regaining the majority.  it will be a long hard slog to final victory, but we will know that we are at least on the right track.   

Well, that is how you got the majority of the country behind you last time you had it...

...in 1964.

Frodo:
Quote from: Richius on March 02, 2005, 03:03:00 AM

The GOP are just waiting for the 66 senators in 2006.

yes, and they'll be waiting for a long time -their efforts to privatize Social Security will backfire on them the way the health care flap backfired on Democrats.   and we will be campaigning on it on up to election day next year, and the Republican Party will wear this issue as an albatross around its neck.  i hope this debate extends to the middle of next year -it'll serve the GOP right when they come to realize how much of a debacle this whole debate is turning into for them.         

The Duke:
Quote from: Frodo on March 02, 2005, 05:21:52 AM

yes, and they'll be waiting for a long time -their efforts to privatize Social Security will backfire on them the way the health care flap backfired on Democrats.   and we will be campaigning on it on up to election day next year, and the Republican Party will wear this issue as an albatross around its neck.  i hope this debate extends to the middle of next year -it'll serve the GOP right when they come to realize how much of a debacle this whole debate is turning into for them.         

The Democrats have always used social security to attack Republicans.  They won't get any more mileage out of it this time than before.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better:

an 11 seat pickup? How?

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.:
I can't support Bush's wishes because I am not in favor of raising SS taxes on those making >$90k/year, nor am I in favor of borrowing more money.

The best thing they can do is:
1) raise the retirement age by 6 months per year until the retirement age is 75 years old. (This would only apply to those currently younger than 55)
2) adjust payments based solely on inflation and NOT increases in living standards.

---

I would also like to repeal the $60B/year prescription drug benefit program passed by the GOP in 2003.  But if Congress repealed it, they would probably replace it with a much more expensive program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page