Did you receive any of your K-12 education outside the public school system?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:23:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you receive any of your K-12 education outside the public school system?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Did you receive any of your K-12 education outside the public school system?
Yes, I never went to public school

Yes, I was educated in both in and out of public schools

No, but my parents considered other options

No, my parents never considered other options

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Did you receive any of your K-12 education outside the public school system?  (Read 3404 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 02:00:39 AM »

Oh dear lord please tell me you're joking.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »

no. i kicked around the idea of a private school for a bit but nothing happened
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »

Public school for elementary and middle school, a so called free school for high school.  
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17:33 AM »

Public all the way.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »

Many of the private schools in the South got their start as white flight academies when desegregation kicked in, so Harry's comment isn't surprising, tho slightly dated.  The worst of the white flight academies have folded by now and those that do remain are generally more economic snobs than racial ones these days. While they certainly wouldn't be generally welcoming to the children of Blacks, they'd happily accept the children of Black Republicans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 05:22:58 AM »

I fully acknowledge there are non-racist private schools in some areas of the country.  In Mississippi, there aren't, with the exception of a few Catholic and one Episcopal private school.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »

I was in Catholic school I think for two years.  Its so long ago I can't remember if it was one or two years.  Basically Junior High.  I was a sensitive plant, and couldn't deal well with the horrors of public school junior high - of course it was still just as bad to rejoin for high school.  I could've gone to the catholic high school but I hated catholic school as well.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »

I was in private schooling from kindergarten up through sophomore year. In my junior year, my parents thought I should enroll in a public 'trade' school so that out of high school I'd be more prepared for work and/or tertiary study. The trade school had a reputation as a school for idiots who didn't have the knack for that which universities demanded, although colloquially my "trade" was the "hardest" that they offered (computer programming and whatnot). I was not fond of it and did not appreciate what my parents were attempting to do (get me prepared to study for a field that the real world needed) so I dropped out of that and finished my senior year in a local public school amongst people I had basically no history with.

On average it certainly seemed that many of the people I grew up along in private schooling were more intelligent than those I met who were the "result" of public schooling. That all feels very dehumanizing to say, but it certainly felt that way. In the end, though, social capability trumps intelligence to a great extent. Social capability was basically equal in both, and the intelligent people who were also socially adept so far seem to be the most successful in a traditional way in both groups. So, in the end, not really a huge difference, besides that many of my "friends" from my youth in private schooling have become religious bigots who are not as well rounded culturally as they are socially.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »

Yes, most of it actually (but different reasons/circumstances etc than kids who attended private schools in the US/Canada). I did KG and Grades 2 through 9 in a private school in Riyadh, grade 1 in a semi-private school in Munich and grades 10 through 12 in a public school in Ottawa. The public school was by far the best.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

I fully acknowledge there are non-racist private schools in some areas of the country.  In Mississippi, there aren't, with the exception of a few Catholic and one Episcopal private school.

Different contexts and such. My city is about 95% white. The blacks live almost entirely in two small areas, and the Asians send their kids to private school, so my private school was more diverse than the public school Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »

Private schools are frequently more diverse here as well. A majority of public schools are >95% black. Most of them in tbe city limits are. Private schools are very heavily white, but not quite as much. Catholic schools are notably less white than others. Memphis Catholic High, which is one of many local Catholic high schools, is mostly black. By far, the most intrgrated schools are the public schools in the burbs.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »

All private schools, all the time. I was very sensitive growing up and my parents wanted to shelter me. (They stopped around the time I turned 13, but I still went to private school because I knew everyone there.)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »

I went to a charter school 4-8. All public though.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

Nope. My sister asked once about going to a private high school though because a few of her friends left to go to one. My Mom just kind of laughed it off and said, "I pay taxes for these schools and they do a good job. It's not even an option to pay through the nose for something that might only be a little bit better."
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »

Nope. I was very fortunate to attend Memphis City Schools from K-12. I find the idea of private schools, and especially religious private schools, very distasteful.

Care to explain why?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »

State education all the way through.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »

No (currently in the 12 of K-12)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

State educated all the way through.

But large parts of my family attended Catholic schools some or all of the time, my Asperger's meant that this didn't happen for me.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »

Nope. I was very fortunate to attend Memphis City Schools from K-12. I find the idea of private schools, and especially religious private schools, very distasteful.

Care to explain why?
Spending countless thousands of dollars to wall your child in away from most of the other children in society doesn't rub me the right way. Combining that with counterfactual religious indoctrination is enough to make me nauseated.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »

Option 2. First in a public school, then in a state-subsidized private school for students with certain kinds of mental and neurological conditions.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »

I was in the state school system until I was 12, then from 12-17 in the private school system.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »

No (not upper middle or upper class)
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

I went to a Catholic kindergarten, then to a public school for 1-6 and then to a Catholic junior high and high school for 7-12.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »

Nope.  Despite my hometown (Alton IL) being a total sh**t hole, it actually has a pretty good school district...or at least it did at the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies