1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:21:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp  (Read 2147 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: August 29, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
« edited: September 04, 2013, 07:37:09 AM by President Johnson »

It would be nice to have this scenario as follows: HHH wins election in 1968 by election in the House (because of no EV victory) while Nixon wins the popular vote. In 1972, Nixon seeks a rematch against President Humphrey.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »

First of all I don't believe that the GOP would give Nixon a third try.  Even so, I see Humphrey as being a more popular President than LBJ.  He would have ended the Vietnam War, appointed Nixon as Ambassador to China and had detente with the Soviet Union.  I could see Reagan as the Rep Nominee.  He would run a good race but still lose to Humphrey.  Reagan would run again in 1976 and defeat Muskie for President.

Yes but that's a different topic on a different thread. All I was asking is what if Humphrey ran a second time in 1972 and chose Pennsylvania governor, Milton Schapp as his running mate?

I agree with that. Humphrey would have ended Vietnam sooner and Nixon would loose in 1972 in a rematch. But Nixon would still show up better than Reagan in 1972, as Reagan would have been defeated by President Humphrey.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2013, 05:29:59 AM by President Johnson »

First of all I don't believe that the GOP would give Nixon a third try.  Even so, I see Humphrey as being a more popular President than LBJ.  He would have ended the Vietnam War, appointed Nixon as Ambassador to China and had detente with the Soviet Union.  I could see Reagan as the Rep Nominee.  He would run a good race but still lose to Humphrey.  Reagan would run again in 1976 and defeat Muskie for President.

Yes but that's a different topic on a different thread. All I was asking is what if Humphrey ran a second time in 1972 and chose Pennsylvania governor, Milton Schapp as his running mate?

I agree with that. Humphrey would have ended Vietnam sooner and Nixon would loose in 1972 in a rematch. But Nixon would still show up better than Reagan in 1972, as Reagan would have been defeated by President Humphrey.

Right but what if Nixon was in office and Humphrey ran again?

In this case, Hubert is without a chance, despite he would have done better than McGovern. One of the better scenarios for Hubert:

President Nixon/Vice President Agnew: 449 EV. - 57.9%
Former Vice President Humphrey/Governor Schapp: 89 EV. 40.1%

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies