1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1972: Nixon/Agnew vs. Humphrey/Schapp  (Read 2131 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:23 AM »

maps!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

It would be nice to have this scenario as follows: HHH wins election in 1968 by election because in the House (because of no EV victory) while Nixon wins the popular vote. In 1972, Nixon seeks a rematch against President Humphrey.

Ah very interesting! I'd love to see a map like that too.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »

Milton Schapp was the governor of Pennsylvania.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »

Why Humphrey would loose in 1972 if he was elected in 1968. He would be just as good as Nixon, maybe he would be even better...

He would do much better than McGovern. It would be hard not to. Still Nixon was very popular and would win comfortably.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »

Nixon        55%
Humphrey 45%
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »

Why Humphrey would loose in 1972 if he was elected in 1968. He would be just as good as Nixon, maybe he would be even better...

Well that's a very different scenario that I proposed at the start of this thread. You gave me a good idea.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:05:22 AM »

First of all I don't believe that the GOP would give Nixon a third try.  Even so, I see Humphrey as being a more popular President than LBJ.  He would have ended the Vietnam War, appointed Nixon as Ambassador to China and had detente with the Soviet Union.  I could see Reagan as the Rep Nominee.  He would run a good race but still lose to Humphrey.  Reagan would run again in 1976 and defeat Muskie for President.

Yes but that's a different topic on a different thread. All I was asking is what if Humphrey ran a second time in 1972 and chose Pennsylvania governor, Milton Schapp as his running mate?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »

First of all I don't believe that the GOP would give Nixon a third try.  Even so, I see Humphrey as being a more popular President than LBJ.  He would have ended the Vietnam War, appointed Nixon as Ambassador to China and had detente with the Soviet Union.  I could see Reagan as the Rep Nominee.  He would run a good race but still lose to Humphrey.  Reagan would run again in 1976 and defeat Muskie for President.

Yes but that's a different topic on a different thread. All I was asking is what if Humphrey ran a second time in 1972 and chose Pennsylvania governor, Milton Schapp as his running mate?

I agree with that. Humphrey would have ended Vietnam sooner and Nixon would loose in 1972 in a rematch. But Nixon would still show up better than Reagan in 1972, as Reagan would have been defeated by President Humphrey.

Right but what if Nixon was in office and Humphrey ran again?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »

First of all I don't believe that the GOP would give Nixon a third try.  Even so, I see Humphrey as being a more popular President than LBJ.  He would have ended the Vietnam War, appointed Nixon as Ambassador to China and had detente with the Soviet Union.  I could see Reagan as the Rep Nominee.  He would run a good race but still lose to Humphrey.  Reagan would run again in 1976 and defeat Muskie for President.

I agree with that. Humphrey would have ended Vietnam sooner and Nixon would loose in 1972 in a rematch. But Nixon would still show up better than Reagan in 1972, as Reagan would have been defeated by President Humphrey.

Right but what if Nixon was in office and Humphrey ran again?

In this case, Hubert is without a chance, despite he would have done better than McGovern. One of the better scenarios for Hubert:

President Nixon/Vice President Agnew: 449 EV. - 57.9%
Former Vice President Humphrey/Governor Schapp: 89 EV. 40.1%

This is the discussion I wanted to have. I had Humphrey doing a little bit better.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »

Let's assume that Humphrey won California in 1968 (let's say there was more resentment in Nixon's home state), and as President Johnson above says, it went to the house. Despite only winning 236 electoral votes, HHH becomes president, although many people believe it to be illegitimate due to Nixon's electoral vote victory. The Democrats are fractured after their 1968 primaries, and southern Democrats defect to the Republican party, which makes major gains in 1970. Facing his third presidential run without a win, Nixon begins campaigning in 1970, and with such a close loss in 1968, he keeps Agnew on the ticket.

George Wallace, after an assassination attempt that left him paralyzed, does not compete in the 1972 election, and in a shock to the Democrat party, endorses Nixon. HHH follows public opinion and gradually reduces troops in Vietnam, but the GOP says it is too slow.

The end result is a comfortable win by Nixon, who doubles down on California and sweeps the south. (I gave Humphrey ever state that McGovern lost IOT by less than 20%)

How does Humphrey win South Dakota?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:49:01 PM »

Nixon didn't win in 1972 for policy reasons.

Nixon won for every reason one can think of with as bad as McGovern was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies